Rosh Hashana Wines 5774

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Rosh Hashana Wines 5774

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:57 pm

Hello all!

For the third consecutive year, I suggest to post in this thread about the wine(s) that you intend on drinking and enjoying for the upcoming celebration of the Jewish New Year - Rosh Hashana 5774 which will start this coming Wednesday night as most of you must certainly know. Please include only the wines you intend on opening for the holiday and post those you will open for the next weekend on Harry J's thread.

Following is my temporary and non exhaustive list from which I'll probably end up picking 3-4 wines.

- Domaine du Castel, Grand Vin 2008.

- Four Gates, Cabernet Franc 2007.

- Golan Heights Winery, El Rom Vineyard, Cabernet Sauvignon 2008.

- Hagafen, Prix, Mélange 2005.

- Galil Mountains Winery, Rosé 2012.

- Ella Valley, Petite Sirah 2007.

- Golan Heights Winery, Yarden Blanc de Blancs 2007.

- Binyamina, Avnei Hachoshen, Yahalom (Diamond) 2008.

- Recanati, Mediterranean Reserve, Carignan 2009.

- Covenant, Red C, Cabernet Sauvignon 2007.

I'd love to read about your own experiences of the above mentioned wines as well as about your own picks for this year's holidays. May our great vino be of a blessing for all of us and enjoy them with our loved ones and friends, wishing already Shana Tova, a good, healthy and happy new year to all of you.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Re: Rosh Hashana Wines 5774

Postby Moshe F » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:50 pm

Hi Gabriel,

Still putting together a list of possibilities and it grows and changes with every hour...

i would love some updated notes from anyone. in no particular order:

2009 Herzog Mt. Veeder Single Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
2009 Binyamina The Cave
2009 Yatir Forrest
2005 Ella Valley Vineyards Choice Cabernet Sauvignon
2007 Golan Heights Winery Yarden Blanc de Blancs (Agree with GG on this one. And how can one have a "new years party" without some bubbley?)
2010 Shiloh Legend

I am sure tomorrow I'll change my mind some more...

Wishing yall a great new year with all the good stuff in all the right places.
Moshe F
Wine geek

Postby Or Shoham » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:16 pm

No specific plans just yet, but if the occasion arises, Margalit Cabernet Sauvignon 2003 or Yarden Ortal 2004 (Merlot or Syrah, depending on what fits better). If the correct group doesn't come together for that, probably something a little less fancy - Barkan Assemblage Reichan 2008, or Tulip Cabernet Franc 2008 (I'm a little overstocked on both of those and they're drink-now at this point).

Not much help from me on the wines listed previously - just that the 2009 Recanati Carignan is still drinking brilliantly as of last check (three months ago). I'm waiting for the 2012 to come up for a mini-vertical (four vintages), but the winery tells me it's still a few months off.
Or Shoham
Ultra geek

Postby Harry J » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:50 pm

BSD perhaps the end of this week is attached to the beginning of the year.then another thread is facecious. Wishing you a good one in all ways. Was given yarden T2 '09. Should that be very chilled? Is it sweet? Also meron 07 galil mt. Is that closed or open? Best ,H
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:16 pm

Harry J wrote:BSD perhaps the end of this week is attached to the beginning of the year.then another thread is facecious. Wishing you a good one in all ways. Was given yarden T2 '09. Should that be very chilled? Is it sweet? Also meron 07 galil mt. Is that closed or open? Best ,H

Hi Harry,

Yarden T2 (as opposed to 2T) is a sweet port-style wine and doesn't necessarily need to be chilled but personally I'd have it a little chilled for 30-45 min in the fridge before drinking. An open bottle stored in the fridge can last months.

Galil Meron 07 is "open", but still just give it 30 min or so.

Shana tova!

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Harry J » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:20 am

Oops. It is 2T that I have. '09. Any TN anyone ?
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:50 am

Currently planned:

Louis de Sacy, Brut, Grand Cru, n.v
Agur, Rosa, 2012
Makom, Grenache Blanc, 2012
Hagafen, White Riesling, Rancho Wieruszowski, 2011
Recanati, Mediterranean Reserve, Wild Carignan, 2009
Recanati, Mediterranean Reserve, Syrah-Viognier, 2010
Golan Heights Winery, Yarden, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2008
Hagafen, Prix, Melange, 2004
Shirah, Syrah, Single Vineyard - Thompson, 2009
Ella Valley Vineyards, Vineyards Choice, Petit Sirah, 2008
Bazelet Hagolan, Reserve, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2005
Flam, Reserve, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2010
Hagafen, Prix, Late Harvest Chardonnay, 2006
Carmel, Late Harvest Gewurztraminer, Sha'al, 2007
Adir, Blush Port, n.v
Porto Quevedo, n.v.

Shana Tova, Happy New Year and Ketiva Ve'Chatima Tova to all!
Yossie
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:45 pm

Shavua tov!

I hope everybody had a wonderful time over the past 3 days and enjoyed lots of great wine!

I had the following:

Wednesday night:

Binyamina, Avnei Hachoshen, Yahalom (Diamond) 2008: The wine started quite fine and as I remembered it but after a little it started to show some dates but overall it was a very enjoyable bottle.

Kinor David, Sherry N.V. : Didn't change at all, was nice and enjoyed by all, poured it at most meals with dessert.

Thursday lunch:

GMW, Rosé 2012: Really enjoyable rosé.

Thursday night:

GHW, Gamla, Sangiovese 2008: Still nice and light wine, enjoyable with chicken.

Friday lunch:

GMW, Rosé 2012: Enjoyed some more.

Friday Night:

Hagafen, Prix, Mélange 2005: This bottle was offered to me by a forumite, thanks!! It had some oxidation, the guests were impressed.

Shabbat lunch:

GHW, Yarden, Blanc de Blancs 2007: Great as always.

Wishing you all an amazing year,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Z Spigelman » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:58 pm

Shavua Tov Harry.
It was great to have everyone at home.
GHW Yarden Syrah Tel Phares 2008
GHW Yarden Merlot Kela 2007
GHW Yarden Chardonnay 2011
GHW Yarden Malbec 2010
GHW Gamla Reserve Cabernet-Merlot 2011
Bravdo Chardonnay 2012
Bravdo Rose 2012
Gvaot Gofna Pinot Noir 2011
Gvaot Gofna Chardonnay-Cabernet Sauvignon 2012
Tulip White Franc 2012
Tzora Shoresh 2009
Cantina Terrabella Moscato 2011
Chatima Tova.
Zvi
Z Spigelman
Wine guru

Postby YoelA » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:31 pm

Shavua tov, everyone. Hope today's fast is going easily.

For RH we had two Hagafen wines

2006 Hagafen pinot noir. Usually Hagafen's pinots are quite nice at six years of age but this one (actually it's almost 7 years old) is way past the peak and well down the other side. Getting well browned with soft but stewed flavors. Don't think I have any more of this left, which is a good thing.

200 Hagafen roussanne. Our guests liked this more than I did. It's also fairly well along in age, golden colored and doesn't seem to have had the necessary acid to keep the flavors perky at this stage. But our friends liked it because it's soft and smooth.
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby YoelA » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:36 pm

Forgot to mention that I had a taste of the 2009 Shiloh Mor the other night. pleasant stuff; 50% cabernet, 30 % sangiovese, 20% barbera
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby Craig Winchell » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:57 am

It wouldn't have mattered what wines I had, given the heat. It was 85 F in our house, and nothing would have tasted good. Be that as it may, we managed to drink a bottle of each of my wine for each dinner.

David Raccah had a big Zin blowout over RH, and I'm sorry to say my Zin was panned. I normally don't care what people think of my wine, and from an absolute standpoint, that's still true. However, it always hurts when friends don't see in it what the creator sees, and I'm sure this is true in any form of art or craft that is subject to the likes and dislikes of others. One hopes for one's friends to experience what he experiences. In this case, the negative experience was evidently universal among several of my friends who participated. This is obviously no reflection on the wine, but of the understanding of the group (grin). Seriously, though, it plays to what has been noted in the past, that the kosher market has a truncated sense of familiarity with wine styles relative to the much larger general market, especially with varietals produced by only a few, such as but not limited to Zinfandel. I could well be incorrect, because it could be that the wine would be panned even by those familiar with the breadth and depth of Zin, but it might be that the alternative is true, that someone with that understanding would appreciate the wine to a greater extent. In any case, the balance of opinions on the Zin is negative as of this point.
Craig Winchell
Wine guru

Postby Moshe F » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:54 pm

Happy New Year to all!

This past weekend we did not drink as many wines as I had predicted, the ol' "eyes are bigger than the glass..."

2010 Odem Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon Volcanic- only had a sip of this one from someone else's glass and it smelled a bit funky. Though the taste didn't match the smell as the taste was kinda sweet and no funkiness. eh, ok.
2010? 2009? Teperberg Nevel Port Style- Light red fruits with choclatey tones and a great feel. Really nice port style wine.
2009 Psagot Cabernet Sauvignon- bright blackberry fruits, some oakiness. an ok cab.
2009 Yatir Forest- wow. aerated into a decanter and let sit for 15-20 minutes, one of the best wines i have ever had. I wish i had some way of taking real notes for this. fan-freakin-tastic.
2009 The Cave - aerated into the decanter and let sit for about 15-20 minutes. the oak said hello right away on this one. it eventually blew over but did not reveal much of anything. It is indeed a smooth and silky wine but I am lost as to what else i should have been getting on this one.Why is this bottle $60 USD+?? Is this bottle in something we call a "dumb phase?"
2011 Ugav Cabernet Sauvignon - easy drinking medium+ body wine. A solid effort at a solid price.
2011 Le Soreq Chardonnay Semi Dry - a basic chardonnay and tasted refreshing when chilled. When not chilled, it is a bit pungent. not my cup o' tea...
2005 Ella Valley Cabernet Sauvignon Vineyards Choice - Beautiful. Really Drinking well. velvety tannins, fruit balanced well with oak. for me, this is drinking really well right now.
2010 Shiloh Legend (Mevushal) - Not sure what to make of this, nothing special and did not have a good mouth feel. Seemed a bit too sharp which could be because it is just too young right now.
Also had a malted whiskey called monkey shoulder. A tastey scotch (coming from a bourbon drinker). again wish i could have somehow taken real notes on this one.

wishing everyone a great, sweet, happy new year filled with "the works"
Moshe F
Wine geek

Postby Sam M » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:44 am

Dalton 2011 single vineyard cab  - I really enjoyed this wine. Bright, berry fruit, yum. 
Castel grand vin 2010 - I think this needs more cellar time. I expected more. 
2010 Dalton petite syrah- always a crowd pleaser 
Dalton 2012 Viognier - nice, floral, a little sweet.
2010 kadesh  barnea merlot  - not very impressive 
2012 Recanati Rose – My wife liked it a lot. I liked it a little. 
Galil mountain ela 2011- I read good things about this and they are all true another great galil mountain QPR 
Hagafen sauvignon blanc- very nice , crispy, lemony , 
2010-Odem mountain volcanic Cabernet. I agree with Moshe that it was not impressive but I did not experience a bad smell. 
2011 Gvaot Pinot Noir, Gofna- I'm really liking this Pinot noir. Finally!
2009 Psagot edom- very nice wine. 
Sam M
Ultra geek

Postby Pinchas L » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:08 pm

Hi Gabe,

Hagafen Brut Cuvee Late Disgorged 2007 - This was much more enjoyable than the previous time I had it. The fruit was quite expressive, delivering strawberry and baked apple flavors, topped with cinnamon, and backed up by yeast, bread and toast. Last time I thought it was a bit harsh, and stingy on the fruit, with the yeast too prominent, but all that has changed. $42 at the winery, before any member discounts. B+/**/Y

Midbar Semillon 2009 - With its bright lemon flavor it reminds me, in its current state, of Riesling. Currently very pleasurable, but lacking the promised complexity, though that might yet develop. It is very fresh, and seems to contain promise for the future. I'll hold out. Current flavors vacillate between lemon and apples, and though dry gives a sweet impression. The low alcohol level; 11%, is pleasing, too. B/**/Y

Ramot Naftali Petit Verdot 2010 - I expected more, remembering it as lush and full of flavor. This one was tinged by a bit of astringency, with fruit that wasn't all that expressive. I have two more bottles, hopefully they will show better. C+/*/N

Flam Reserve Syrah 2010 - Displays nice red fruit with black pepper. This bottle doesn't quite stand out as well as previous bottles have, perhaps a product of the circumstances in which it was drunk. 14.5% AbV. B-/**/Y

Shirah Bro Deux 2010 - This, mostly, Bordeaux blend: of Cabernet Saugvinon, Malbec, Cabernet Fran, Petit Verdot, and Syrah, was very enjoyable, handling its 15% AbV with aplomb. It merges beautifully green notes with floral tones, fruity flavors and a licorice aftertaste. Oddly enough, as I sometimes find with very rich wines, the second glass isn't as enjoyable as the first, almost like eating too much candy. Nonetheless, the wine is interesting and very enjoyable. $40 directly from the winery. B+/**/Y

Hagafen Sauvignon Blanc Late Harvest 2008 - As good as any Sauternes on the kosher market. Comparing this with Hagafen's other dessert wine, the Late Harvest Chardonnay 2006, I would say that the body on this one isn't as full and heavy as that of the Chardonnay, and the sweetness, a notch lower, though still containing a hefty 12% of residual sugar. A-/**/Y

Best,
-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvelous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
Indication of further interest: Y - would purchase again, N - no desire to purchase more
Last edited by Pinchas L on Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby Harry J » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:09 pm

The galil mt cab '11 tasted different than previous vintages.methinks Rogov would have rated this one high.enjoyed.h
Harry J
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum