Everyone / WeeksEnd wine

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Everyone / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Harry J » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:18 am

b'sd
*A story is told of a prince who lost it so to speak and thought he was a rooster.They tried everything and could'nt cure him.Then they called a sage.
He got under the table with the prince.the prince asked him what are you doing? He replied I too am a rooster.Then one day he did something that people do and the prince asked him what are you doing and he replied its OK Im still a rooster.LIttle by little he reintroduced all human aspects ,with the prince following his lead until he wasfully integrated again in society.We might sometimes think were "not on the level" yet it will pay off in the final analysis even if we just go through the motions.
Have a good one; h
*from the tales of R"Nachman
Harry J
Wine guru

Re: Everyone / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:14 pm

Shavua Tov Harry,

Friday night:

Tavor, Adama, Terra Rossa, Cabernet Sauvignon 2009: This is the second time I had this wine and as the first time, it was a bit disappointing. Why? Well, Rogov z.l. rated it 91 saying also that it reminded him of some fine Tuscany wine. Well, I don't see anything so special with this wine, it is a good QPR and on par with other wines in this category such as Carmel's Appellation, GHW's Gamla/Gilgal or Binyamina Reserve. On the bright side of things, it is free of the curse of the 2009 harvest as it is not showing overripe fruit however there's a bit of heat. Dark garnet and aged for 12 months in oak barrels with on the nose ripe cherries, currants and raspberries with a touch of toasted oak. Medium to full-bodied with on the palate much of the same as well as notes of roasted herbs and vanilla with fine acidity, heat and a fair amount of tannins on a moderately long finish.

Shabbat lunch:

GHW, Gamla/Gilgal, White Riesling 2011: Straw in color with on the nose lime peels and green apples as well as apricots and white spring flowers. Medium-bodied with on first attack green apple peels, lime, a touch of sweet apricot and peaches with ok acid balancing out the little hint of sweetness of this off-dry labeled wine and even some tannins drying the mouth a bit with more apple peels notes on fairly long finish. Very nice though not overly complex and very good QPR, with more acid and some minerals it would have been excellent.

Though very short, I wish you all a good week and a happy new year, Shana Tova!

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Moshe F » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:39 pm

This past shabbos night (Friday night) I had a 2010 Mount Tabor Adama Terra Rossa Soil Cabernet Sauvignon. A good bottle and a decent price, something like ~17 USD? Good body and searing? tannins. drinking well into lunch the next day.
Shabbos day (Saturday lunch) I had a 2007 Recanati Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon. A really good bottle, velvety, with chocolate and light berries. A long lingering finish. Elegant. My friend brought it as a gift and said he just bought it friday from some store in NoHo (Manhattan).

A great week to all!
Moshe F
Wine geek

Postby Harry J » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:46 pm

Hi; as MosheF the tavor terra rosa cab '10. Personaly found the har series cab 2012 more expressive. At lunch yarden viognier '06. Flavors of honey,peach and a nice finish. H
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby YoelA » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:13 pm

Siduri 2006 Sonoma County pinot noir
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby Isaac C » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:56 am

Peraj Petita 2011 and Galil Alon 2010 - both amazing QPR and really enjoyable. Peraj took time to open up, was better shabbos day.
Isaac C
Ultra geek

Postby Pinchas L » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:56 pm

Hi Harry,

Midbar Viognier 2010 - To me this vintage doesn't seem to have as much Viognier typicity as previous vintages. The nose is dusty with notes of citrus and evergreen. It was quite pleasing on the palate, though nothing about it really stood out. The wine seemed dry to me, so that it has the high alcohol of '08, but the residual sugar of the '09. I'll give another bottle a try, before coming down with a verdict. 14.5% AbVB-/**/Y

Goblet Cabernet Sauvignon 2010 - This wine is produced by the winemaker of City Winery under his private label. This year the grapes were sourced from the Chalk Hill appellation within California's Napa Valley. Initially, the wine tasted high strung, with its acidity dominating, and the fruit not expressive, causing me to suspect it is tinged with volatile acidity. By the morning the balance had improved, and bright fruit shone through, with distinct sour cherry notes. Nonetheless, the acidity demanded attention, causing me to read the fine print on the label, revealing that the wine has not undergone malolactic fermentation. I believe that this treatment is quite rare for reds in general, and specifically for Cabernet Saugvinon. This treatment probably explains why the wine seems to have a lighter body than one would expect given the wine's deep garnet color, as well as explain the manner in which the acidity is felt. In addition, the wine spent 24 months in French barrels and is unfiltered. Not filtering a wine that has not undergone malolactic fermentation, is also not a common protocol. Hopefully, when I meet the winemaker, I'll ask him for the rationale behind his choice of treatment. The tannins are not overwhelming, and I didn't detect a heavy contribution from the oak. 14.5% AbV. B-/na/N

Best,
-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvelous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
Indication of further interest: Y - would purchase again, N - no desire to purchase more
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby Jonathan K » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:20 pm

Flam Blanc 2012. Straight out of the fridge, this gives the impression of a low acid, rather dull wine. After a little warming up, it opens up nicely revealing peach and pear notes and a bit of a citrus bite. Eventually shows some anise on the finish. Turned out to be pretty good. At the $28/bottle pricetag, definitely not a case purchase but well worth trying.
Jonathan K
Ultra geek

Postby Craig Winchell » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:16 am

Pinchas, you are correct. Protocol for microbial stability in bottle is to sterile filter wine, or otherwise minimize the likelihood of microbiological activity. Malolactic fermentation "eats" the remaining bits of fermentable sugar, limiting the ability of fermentation by fermentative organisms in bottle, and expecially limiting the ability of the mlf to occur spontaneously in the bottle. It would therefore by highly unusual (and foolhardy) in commercial winemaking to take a wine like that and not sterile bottle it.
Craig Winchell
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum