These Words / WeeksEnd wine

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

These Words / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Harry J » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:52 am

b"sd
Sticks and stones..but words can never harm me -so not true.
If there's a will,theres a way. Also not always true..
Nothing can stand in the way of a persons will and true desire.
Those are true words.
Have a good one; h
Harry J
Wine guru

Re: These Words / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:58 pm

Shavua tov Harry!

Only one bottle this shabbat:

Ramot Naftaly, Barbera 2010: Even earthier than my last bottle with loads of minerals, red fruit, wet forest floor and barnyard funk, great acidity and well-integrated tannins, very interesting this wine calls to mind a mature Bordeaux, and quite a delicious one. I'd suggest to drink whatever bottles people may have left within the next 6 to 12 months.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Isaac Chavel » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:10 pm

Hi, Harry, shavu'a tov,

2009 Teperberg Malbec. Most enjoyable. Started off with some sharpness but smoothed out nicely.

A good week to all, and an easy fast (for those who do so),

Isaac
Isaac Chavel
Wine guru

Postby Craig Winchell » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:18 am

We had 2 bottles, both very nice: Agua Dulce 2010 Cab, and the new, as yet unlabeled, Shirah Viognier. I won't discuss mine- that's something for others to do. But as for the Viognier, it is a very nice early-drinking white. Early drinking because the lack of acidity and high alcohol make this dry wine (my assumption is dry, though I have not performed a reducing sugar on it, and the boys would certainly have filtered it way tightly if it were sweet) taste pretty sweet, but that just means that the lushness has a time limit- drink up. To me, it is like a dry Alsatian Gewurz, pungent and mouthfilling, for duck and goose and their respective livers (and for those who eat it, pork), but a difficult match otherwise. Very full bodied when not chilled to the bone. And quite turbid, which everyone at the table agreed was a defect, but which the boys think of as a positive attribute. And the piss color indicates oxidation, but the flavor was good. All in all, a solid effort in a wine, though as I say, resembling more an Alsatian Gewurz than a Rhone Viognier (reflecting a similar aromatic profile). Personally, I would need to make food to match the wine, because under normal circumstances, it just would not go with much in our larder. However, as we had a very good chicken stir fry (Jenny, Cantonese as she is, can make great Chinese food when she wants to), and it went moderately well together.
Craig Winchell
Wine guru

Postby YoelA » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:28 am

Having a tasting of a range of whites next month for our synagogue; had a mini-tasting last night to select a pinot grigio for next month.

2011 Goose Bay - heaviest body and highest alcohol (13%) of the group; good fruit, a bit of sweetness but not what i would consider a typical pinot grigio

2011 Borgo Reale - lowest alcohol (12 %), a bit watery by comparison, bright citrus flavors and a good nose

2010 Baron Herzog - 12/5% alcohol, interesting citrus flavors with a bit of earthiness

I'm going to go with the Borgo Reale, even though it probably will seem thin to our friends' California palates.
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby Andrew B » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:56 am

A flawed bottle of Drappier Carte Blanche :(
Andrew B
Wine guru

Postby Birger Vejrum » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:45 am

Hi Harry,

Some favorites this week-end.

Barolo Gramolere 2008 from Giovanni Manzone
Barolo Capalot 2008 from Crissante Alessandria
Tonight Barbaresco 2009 from Cascina Saria.

All the best
Birger
Birger Vejrum
Ultra geek

Postby Shawn Johnson » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:52 pm

Gvaot Herodion Merlot 2011- opened up nicely after being decanted for 2 hours. Just as good as the 2010.

Hey Yoel,

You should be fine. Do California's know anything about real Pinot Grigio? :)
Shawn Johnson
Ultra geek

Postby Gedalya P » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:15 pm

Har Bracha Petite Syrah 2011- a less expensive wine
I have found that with patience Shomron wine from Har Bracha and Tura can be full and rich and delicious. They take a while, but they get there. This one was thinner and acceptable but more like what Daniel used to call "quaffers".
From Cellar 18 in Ramat Beit Shemesh
Gedalya P
Wine geek

Postby Isaac C » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:14 pm

Dalton Alma Bordeaux Blend 2009 - excellent
Isaac C
Ultra geek

Postby Z Spigelman » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:58 pm

Hi Harry.
Friday night - Tzora Shoresh 2008 and Recanati Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve Lebanon Vineyard 2010.
Shabbat lunch - Yarden Chardonnay Odem 2011.
Shavua Tov.
Zvi
Z Spigelman
Wine guru

Postby Bill Coleman » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:59 pm

Israel week!

Friday night = 2008 Domaine du Castel
Saturday = 2010 Har Odem Cabernet Franc
Bill Coleman
Ultra geek

Postby Adam M » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:55 pm

2007 Yatir Cab. Delightful.
2010 Chateau Bellerives Dubois (Blaye Cotes De Bordeaux) (70% merlot/30% cab). Surprisingly delicious for a French mevushal wine. Imported by Allied. Kudos to them. NB: It didn't hold it own very well into the next day.
Adam M
Wine guru

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:09 am

Ella Valley, Cabernet Franc, 2007 - incredible, simply a terrific wine at its peak (where it will hold for a couple more years)
Castel, Rose, 2011 - still crisp and refreshing but sliding past its prime rapidly and time to drink up
Asif, Viognier, 2008 - mature and with less than fresh fruit but complex, lively and surprisingly delicious
Recanati, Mediterranean Reserve, Petite-Sirah/Zinfandel, 2011 - as with the Syrah-Viognier, this wine has a tiny percentage of Zinfandel in it and I'm not sure why it's dual-labeled the way it is but, in any event, a delicious wine that has returned to its prior form after 1-2 vintages of slipping in quality. A true crowd-pleaser with enough going on to satisfy more sophisticated wine drinkers as well.
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Pinchas L » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:15 am

Hi Harry,

Flam Rose 2012 - As usual Flam produces their Rose from Cabernet Franc. The color is light salmon. The nose hints at strawberry and watermelon, leading into a crisp entry on the palate. The fruit is reticent, allowing the spotlight to rest on the green streak that permeates, thereby boosting the acid driven crispness and lending it character. It works well as a summer wine, and I enjoyed the interplay with sushi. Interestingly, my son-in-law, whose comments I value, commented that the wine tastes like Champagne without bubbles. He doesn't like sparkling wine, and his clear preference is for full bodied reds. I understand his perspective, seemingly driven by the effects of the early harvest on the flavor profile, something rose shares with Champagne. 12.5 AbV. B+/**/Y

Hagafen Prix Pinoit Noir 2008 Fagan Creek Block 38 - Over the years I've been disappointed by Hagafen's reserve Pinots. The '08 is probably the poorest of the bunch. The wine delivers some fruit, but is tinged by some bitterness. Overall, it doesn't excite, and lacks elegance. 13.5% AbV. Over the next couple of months I'll continue to work my way through my stash of poorly made Pinot, purging them from my system. Cost is part of the equation, and I cannot afford pouring these wines down the drain. They're not flawed, so I'll drink them. C/*/N

Best,
-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvelous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
Indication of further interest: Y - would purchase again, N - no desire to purchase more
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby gaston k » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:23 am

Fri Night - Psagot Merlot 2009, very food-friendly
Sat lunch - oppressive humidity made beer a better option - Chimay Cinq Cents, very good but there are better Tripels out there.
gaston k
Ultra geek

Postby YoelA » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:48 pm

1.Californians know something about pinot grigio, but not necessarily the best things. There have been a lot of sales here of ordinary quality (non-kosher) Italian PGs over the past few years, as light, easy-drinking whites. A few small wineries here are working on making better quality ones but I hear that good quality PG is being made in Oregon. Haven't tried any, though.

As for the Hagafen PNs, I had usually found that the reserves are not a heck of a lot better than the regular bottlings, many of whom I hage enjoyed after a couple of years aging (at which point they make very good Thanksgiving wines). I bought a bottle of the 2008 reserve mainly for sentimental reasons because I was told at the winery that they would not be making any more. However, they began making some again in 2011, from a different vineyard, and it does taste different.
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:56 pm

Yossie Horwitz wrote:Recanati, Mediterranean Reserve, Petite-Sirah/Zinfandel, 2011 - as with the Syrah-Viognier, this wine has a tiny percentage of Zinfandel in it and I'm not sure why it's dual-labeled the way it is but, in any event, a delicious wine that has returned to its prior form after 1-2 vintages of slipping in quality. A true crowd-pleaser with enough going on to satisfy more sophisticated wine drinkers as well.

It's not really a secret as to why they keep the label as it is since Petite Sirah/Zinfandel became a brand name for Recanati over the years, otherwise I'm sure they'd completely stop adding any percentage of Zinfandel to the wine.

Personally I've very much enjoyed the 2010 and the 2009 as well and was not a big fan of the 2007 and 2008...

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Pinchas L » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:55 pm

YoelA wrote:As for the Hagafen PNs, I had usually found that the reserves are not a heck of a lot better than the regular bottlings, many of whom I hage enjoyed after a couple of years aging (at which point they make very good Thanksgiving wines). I bought a bottle of the 2008 reserve mainly for sentimental reasons because I was told at the winery that they would not be making any more. However, they began making some again in 2011, from a different vineyard, and it does taste different.

Hi Yoel,

I agree with you that their Pinot from the 2011 vintage tastes differently than their previous Pinots. I only had a single bottle of the 2011, and my initial impression was that it is an easy drinking Pinot without much complexity or character. Although I enjoy Pinot Noir, I'm not quite ready to stock up on any of the Californian and Israeli Pinots of which I am aware. None of those does justice to the variety.

Best,
-> Pinchas
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby Harry J » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:01 pm

Hi; last fridaysaturday opened a galil viognr '11 and didn't feel as much as fruit profile as the first time. Tthought it might need more chilling for that also tasted the calif moscatoo. Honeybee that davidracah likred a half year ago. Time to bring in a new batch. Interstngly I did find at trader joes a recanati cab '12 also wondering why in us we haven't seen galil mt shiraz '11 or galilcab '11. Or any tabors in ages. H
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Harry J » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:07 pm

Ah; so you might hink what's the difference 9 10 11 12 ; if were talking numbers then in dollars these are wines that can cost a quarter of others. Those who try em know. There have been those in the day of rogov that scored 90. H
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Moshe F » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:56 pm

This past Shabbos i felt like i needed to make up for the missed time with wine during the week.

2011 Tishbi Viognier Blanc. Was nice and had a distinct (what i thought) is something like ripe green apple juice after taste. Good stuff.
2011 Recanati Reserve PSZ. Total crowd pleaser, good bottle.
2012 Le Soreq Pinot Noir. heavy cherry smell. light, smooth, and drinkable.
2009 Alexander Cabernet Franc Reserve. Very ripe fruits. Very Oaky.
2007 Yarden Blanc de blancs. Really good, huge fan.
2011 Gush Etzion Lonley Oak Sauvignon Blanc. Stone fruits, good acid, and somewhat spicy finish. I liked it.
Moshe F
Wine geek

Postby Yehoshua Werth » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:38 pm

BS"D

Shabbat Night:

Or Haganuz Amuka - Wifes happy and smooth

Shabbos Day:

Gush Etzion Semi White Blend - Love it!
Herzog - Lodi Zinfandel - Nice Quafer
Galil - Alon - Value and Fruit.
Judean Heights - Cabernet Sauvignon - Consistent
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
Yehoshua Werth
Wine guru

Postby Jonathan K » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:34 pm

Pinchas L wrote:
YoelA wrote:As for the Hagafen PNs, I had usually found that the reserves are not a heck of a lot better than the regular bottlings, many of whom I hage enjoyed after a couple of years aging (at which point they make very good Thanksgiving wines). I bought a bottle of the 2008 reserve mainly for sentimental reasons because I was told at the winery that they would not be making any more. However, they began making some again in 2011, from a different vineyard, and it does taste different.

Hi Yoel,

I agree with you that their Pinot from the 2011 vintage tastes differently than their previous Pinots. I only had a single bottle of the 2011, and my initial impression was that it is an easy drinking Pinot without much complexity or character. Although I enjoy Pinot Noir, I'm not quite ready to stock up on any of the Californian and Israeli Pinots of which I am aware. None of those does justice to the variety.

Best,
-> Pinchas

The Landsman without question does justice to California-style Pinot. The Four Gates has always reminded me of entry-level Burgundy with the exception of the 2009 that had just gobs of fruit and the Cuvee D which reminds me of an older Burgundy. But they all do justice to the variety. Otherwise I have struck out with kosher Pinot although I would love to try the Gvaot if I can find it next time I am in Israel.

Oh and my wine this past Shabbat was the 2011 Castel C. Rich and creamy, elegant. I had avoided the C since the 2009 vintage but this was quite good.

Shavua Tov (what is left of it)
Jonathan
Jonathan K
Ultra geek

Next

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum