Ya'acov Oryah Has Left Midbar Winery

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Ya'acov Oryah Has Left Midbar Winery

Postby ChaimShraga » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:10 pm

Not sure how many of you here have managed to follow Ya'acov's career, since he never had formal kashrut, but he has very recently parted ways with the winery. I haven't heard what went on behind the scenes, but I'm pretty sure just about anyone who's ever bought any of their wines, had made the purchases because Ya'acov had made the wines. They simply haven't been around long enough to build up any other identity besides "that winery where Oryah makes his wines".

A shame for sure.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
ChaimShraga
Wine guru

Re: Ya'acov Oryah Has Left Midbar Winery

Postby lewis.pasco » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:58 pm

Thanks for the update Chaim. I hope Ya'akov has landed somewhere - hopefully a winery with a large portfolio of white wines that needs help, and an artistic vision. As for Midbar - at least for awhile they will be releasing very good wines - all of which have Ya'akov's stamp of style.
Life is too short to drink bad wine.
lewis.pasco
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:47 pm

wow :shock:
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Pinchas L » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:26 pm

I was caught of guard by this development. Just sad and disheartening. For every step forward the Israeli wine market takes, it seems to take another one backward.

Perhaps he can team up with Doron Rav-Hon who opened his new winery Sphera, dedicated to whites, with a mission statement that could have been written by Yaakov, except for the lack of any mention of the desert.

-> Pinchas
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby ChaimShraga » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:17 am

Pinchas L wrote:I was caught of guard by this development. Just sad and disheartening. For every step forward the Israeli wine market takes, it seems to take another one backward.

Perhaps he can team up with Doron Rav-Hon who opened his new winery Sphera, dedicated to whites, with a mission statement that could have been written by Yaakov, except for the lack of any mention of the desert.

-> Pinchas

Actually, it seems as though Doron will be consulting at Midbar.
ChaimShraga
Wine guru

Postby Pinchas L » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:49 pm

Chaim,

I cannot say that this catches me by surprise. Doron's mission statement, seemed to be lifted verbatim from Oryah's. I don't know the politics or what was going on behind the scenes, but when I recently read Doron's statements as they appear on his website and Facebook page, I got this uncanny feeling about a possible connection between these players. The possibility I raised in my earlier post was not meant in earnest, since I never thought that there could be room for two such personalities in a boutique winery, it was simply the most innocent statement to make.

-> Pinchas
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby ChaimShraga » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:54 am

There will be a slew of consulting winemakers from Italy as well. Maybe that's where the egos clashed.
ChaimShraga
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum