New phenom

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

New phenom

Postby Isaac Chavel » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:44 pm

I was in a Jerusalem wine store last week, when I picked up a wine bottle with no label to ask the owner/salesman "what's going on?"He tells me it is such and such a wine from such and such winery, and the bottle has no label that it can be sold way off-price.

Is this new? widespread?
Isaac Chavel
Wine guru

Re: New phenom

Postby Jonathan K » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:21 pm

Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Jonathan K
Ultra geek

Postby Adam M » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:13 pm

which wine and from which winery?? IF you didn't remember it, it sounds scamish to me; something I wouldn't put past an aggressive Israeli salesman but I would definitively not expect an Israeli consumer to go for....
Adam M
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:44 pm

I assume this was either a Psagot Rosé or Merlot sold at a ridiculously low price.
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby David Raccah » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:52 am

I heard from a few folks who enjoyed wines like this, sold by reputable shops, that were Psagot Cabernet - again, this could be a bad run of printing or who knows what.

Just repeating what I heard. I liked many of these wines, as documented in my post, so I have no idea why they would be sold at or below cost.
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Craig Winchell » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:17 am

this could not legally occur in the USA. Bottles are required to have labels with certain information visible. I don't think I could bring myself to purchase an unlabeled bottle from a retailer. Especially kosher, unless the stores themselves are under hashgacha. Too much potential for abuse.
Craig Winchell
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum