An Experiment with Open Bottle Storage

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

An Experiment with Open Bottle Storage

Postby Yakov F » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:40 am

Last Tuesday evening I was given a barely open bottle of a reserve level red wine to take home. There was no more than an inch of air below the neck of the bottle. The cork was pushed all the way down, I put the bottle in the wine fridge and decided to save the bottle for Shabbat. I reopened the bottle for lunch and it was at it's peak ready to drink and still improved over the next hour. It even impressed one of those at the table who could never be accused of being a wine lover.

The lesson - With minimal air in the bottle a good red wine can stay at least 4 days stored in a wine fridge (14* C).

The wine - Eyal Winery Merlot 2010. 14 months in the barrel. Medium to full bodied, round and rich,with some sweetness from the red and dark fruit.
Yakov F
Ultra geek

Re: An Experiment with Open Bottle Storage

Postby Elie Poltorak » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:46 pm

These things are really hit or miss. I once forgot an open bottle of Red C (with only 1 glass missing) in a warm cabinet for over a week and when I found it, it was still good. Other times, I've had bottles go dead overnight even with only a glass missing, stored in fridge, sprayed with Private Reserve, etc.
Your best bet to be safe is to pour into water bottles--especially if the bottle hasn't been open long.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum