Bartenura wines

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Bartenura wines

Postby Michael P » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:22 pm

For years I've avoided Bartenura wines. I thought of them of decent quaffers, nothing more. However, recently I've heard a spate of positive reviews on various Bartenura wines, leading me to believe something has changed.

Can anyone provide some information on Bartenura? Is it an actual winery or just a Royal label? Has something changed at Bartenura? Which wines are recommended?

Any help would be appreciated.
Michael P
Ultra geek

Re: Bartenura wines

Postby Craig Winchell » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:33 pm

Why avoid a decent quaff? I haven't had any Bartenura that was more than that, but isn't that enough? I have had a couple of bad ones as well, but overall, decent quaffing at an ever increasing price. Still no reason to avoid it, in my opinion.
Craig Winchell
Wine guru

Postby Michael P » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:46 pm

Craig,

Over the past while I've been drinking a bit less. Therefore, I tend to avoid quaffers and focus on drinking fewer, but better, wines.

What is the history of Bartenura? Has something changed?
Michael P
Ultra geek

Postby David Raccah » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:08 pm

I think you mean the upper Bartenura labels - the red wines from Italy and no one means the BBB. There are one or two decent wines in the upper level labels - called Ovadia Estates:

http://www.bartenura.com/bartenura.html

The Barolo, Chianti, and another are OK at best and not worthy of ANYTHING you wrote in your top wines from 2012. If you are drinking wines like Brob or Camille - these wines are not worth your time. That said, if you are looking for a perfectly good wine that is not meant to blow you away or impress you overly much, i.e. quaffer, than these wine will fit your bill. They are slightly more rounded and elevated than a pure quaffer, but they do not transcend it enough, in my opinion.

By the way, you can try all of them at the KFWE or the IFWF, which I hope you have tickets for.
David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Bill Coleman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:20 am

I cannot recall a single Bartenura which was worth the calories and the blood sugar.
Bill Coleman
Ultra geek

Postby David Raccah » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:11 am

Good to see you around again Bill! These are wines that do what they are made for.

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Gary J » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:20 pm

You guys are such snobs...seriously!!!

Time to break out of the BIG & ROBUST or its crap mold & try some new wines.

Yes, the Ovadia wines are good (albeit not great)...Thanks Raccah...but these are Italian wines at very affordable prices.

I highly recommend checking out the $6 Rosso Toscano (if you can get your hands on any - its very difficult to keep in stock)...a VERY easy drinking wine that is a total crowd pleaser. And again, while not all light Italian wines might be to your liking, if you want to drink red wine but aren't having a big steak every night of the week you would be wise to check out some lighter reds - something very common with many Italian wines.

:-)

Have a great one folks & look forward to seeing all who will attend KFWE &/or IFWF. Though there will be some new wines unveiled (online tasting guide to come soon) the food is also going to be great. In NY keep bacon in mind...and what to pair with it. Seems bacon is the kosher ingredient of the year...

BEST to all!!
g
Wine Tasting Guy
http://winetastingguy.com/
Gary J
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:43 pm

Gary J wrote:You guys are such snobs...seriously!!!

YES! And proudly so! :lol:
Gary J wrote:Seems bacon is the kosher ingredient of the year...

Seems lamb bacon is the kosher ingredient of my life...
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Harry J » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:53 pm

Funny;looking in on the forum and seeing the title of this thread was wondering when s/o from kedem that became royal that sells wine under the neme of baron-when would s/o repping them show up! Kudos to those in the wine biz who show up often being that this a premier forum where wine from Israel is discussed. Those that don't,perhaps after a while will realize
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Andrew B » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:19 pm

Harry J wrote:Funny;looking in on the forum and seeing the title of this thread was wondering when s/o from kedem that became royal that sells wine under the neme of baron-when would s/o repping them show up! Kudos to those in the wine biz who show up often being that this a premier forum where wine from Israel is discussed. Those that don't,perhaps after a while will realize

Raccah always knows what to say to get Gary to post! lol! :lol: Can't wait to see you all in a few weeks.
Andrew B
Wine guru

Postby Yehoshua Werth » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:14 pm

I like the
Bartenura Ovadia Estates Morilino Di Scansano
Like a Sangiovese on Steroids.. Nice too...

&

If anyone has a friend that said they will not drink dry wine try the
Bartenura Ovadia Estates Dolcetto De Alba
I call it fruit BOMB...
Not super refined yet for those who want to drink a dry red with someone who wont this works :)

Interesting comment on the Sugar thing....

Most Bartenura wines are dry
Toscano Rosso, Morellino Di Scansano, Pino Grigio, Nebbiolo(Was my Fav for a long time and got me back into wines after not finding good once I went Kosher 17 Years ago), Chianti, Valpulchella, Barolo, Barbera Di Asti, Umbria Rosso & Dolcetto Di Alba.

They are sourced wines that some are quite decent...

The sweet ones I will keep out of my house yet people are NUTS over them still... Wow
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
Yehoshua Werth
Wine guru

Postby Isaac Chavel » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:21 pm

I like the
Bartenura Ovadia Estates Morilino Di Scansano

ditto
Isaac Chavel