How often do you drink wine?

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Re: How often do you drink wine?

Postby Elie Poltorak » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:49 pm

Gabriel Geller wrote:We've created a monster...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby ChaimShraga » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:08 pm

I open a bottle at home at least two-three times a week, my wife will drink a glass, then I have to shoulder the burden to doing away with the rest. If we go out to a restaurant, that's another bottle. And I used to go out out with wine geeks about once every two weeks, but I've been working my butt off the last three months.

What was the question again?
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
ChaimShraga
Wine guru

Postby Bill Coleman » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:06 pm

We would easily have wine with every meal except that I have Type II diabetes so I have been cutting down on alcohol consumption. Since I prefer wine I've vastly reduced beer and whisky. My doctor prescribes "moderation" and my daughter [doctor] permits me one glass per day on average. Medication successfully controls my blood sugar levels so no one is really pushing me on this. Previously, if we were eating shabbat meals alone, Carole and I would together easily consume a bottle at each meal. Last week we made a bottle of Covenant last for both. During the week we probably open roughly 1-2 bottles.
Bill Coleman
Ultra geek

Postby Stacey B » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:15 pm

My husband and I share a bottle almost every night.
Stacey B
Wine geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:27 pm

Are the other folks still following this forum?

Alek, Alex, Yamit, Warren, Dan Kovenat, Michael P, Steve Weil...?
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Elchonon Hellinger » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:46 am

too busy on facebook lol
Elchonon Hellinger
Ultra geek

Postby Maurie Rosenberg » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:20 am

Let's not forget the health benefits of regular kosher wine consumption.

It's good for you, body and soul!

L'chaim!,

Maurie Rosenberg
Author: "Fruit of The Vine - The Complete Guideto Kosher Wine"
http://www.guidetokosherwine.com
Maurie Rosenberg
Cellar rat

Postby Craig Winchell » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:52 am

Maurie, I'm sorry to say that lately there have been a rash of studies indicating no significant health benefits above control. I'm afraid that after the initial wishful thinking and Med diet hype, there's less actual benefit than had been hoped for. Bottom line here is that we must drink wine because it tastes good, not because it's good for us. Happiness is also a benefit.
Craig Winchell
Wine guru

Postby Bill Coleman » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:41 pm

Craig Winchell wrote:Maurie, I'm sorry to say that lately there have been a rash of studies indicating no significant health benefits above control. I'm afraid that after the initial wishful thinking and Med diet hype, there's less actual benefit than had been hoped for. Bottom line here is that we must drink wine because it tastes good, not because it's good for us. Happiness is also a benefit.

L'chaim!
Bill Coleman
Ultra geek

Postby Alexander F » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:46 pm

I open a bottle of wine at Friday and if it's not finished at Shabos, then I drink about one glass at weekdays after work, until the bottle is gone. Sometimes, we also open a low alcohol wine at weekdays, like Moscato.
Alexander F
Ultra geek

Postby Maurie Rosenberg » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:58 pm

Craig,

You mean there is no contribution to health at all? No improvement in bone mass, memory, digestion, diabetes, HDL cholesterol, longevity, reduction in the risk of heart disease, cancer? No benefit from antioxidants, resveratrol, or flavonoids? Hippocraties, Ramban, Talmud were all entirely mistaken?

I am fairly confident we can find a “study” to support almost any position.
If science has taught us anything, it is that our understanding will be different tomorrow than it is today.

Karl Popper said: "Science does not seek the truth but only the best generalization of that which is known to date. Such generalizations alter and disprove one another. This is the nature of science." Newton, Einstein, Hawking’ were all great contributors to the body if knowledge but they were also (in part) mistaken. Quantum science has shattered Newtonian determinism. Einstein admitted “vacuum energy” or “cosmological constant” was “the biggest blunder of his professional career” a numerical value required to preserve a static universe, and almost no one buys Stephen Hawkins’s “oscillating universe” any more. This will not stop the postulation of new theories or new studies. The present, inconvenient and scientific truth for many is there was indeed, a beginning! How many planets are there? The world is no longer flat, and if we are certain it will always be understood as round, perhaps we are buying into the limiting assumption that we will not have new insights in the future that will shatter our understanding today.

I have seen some contrary conclusions also but I think there is a significant body of evidence from Chazal to and including continuing research that Kosher wine is good for you body and soul.

Further, I think the research and discussion should continue over a bottle of fine Kosher wine.

L’chaim!
Maurie Rosenberg
Cellar rat

Previous

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum