Speckled,Striped & Dotted/WeeksEnd wine

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Speckled,Striped & Dotted/WeeksEnd wine

Postby Harry J » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:09 am

bsd
Seems like there are times we make plans this way or that way and they dont always go the way we planned.
Whats my reaction? Do I weaken in my own resolve or develop stronger conviction in the Source of all strengths.
Have a good one; h
Harry J
Wine guru

Re: Speckled,Striped & Dotted/WeeksEnd wine

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:03 pm

Hi Harry!

Friday night:

Herzog, Special Reserve Alexander Valley Merlot 2006: Garnet, cherries and raspberries on the nose, followed on the palate by much of the same as well as some hints of cocoa powder probably due to a somewhat dusty feeling on the mid palate, the finish is average and the tannins have completely integrated. Still alive but not for much longer. I loved the 2002, this one is rather one-dimensional and not very exciting.

Alexander Sandro 2008: Very nice as always.

Shabbat lunch:

Binyamina, Zinfandel Reserve 2008: Delicious as always.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby lewis.pasco » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:07 pm

Shavuo Tov all,

Stronger conviction Harry - that must be the forward path and we cannot go backwards!

Friday evening and night I tasted quite a few wines, including non-Kosher Israeli products.

2010 Vikin "Levan" - delicious, another bit of alchemy from Assaf Paz of Vitkin and Binyamina (as his day job.) If true that this is comprised mostly French Colombard, than it is once again proof that Colombard in the right hands makes one of Israel's best and most distinctive whites. Vitkin will soon be Kosher my friends, according to rumors I have heard...

2009 Pelter Chardonnay unoaked. (not Kosher) OK I've been a fan of Tal Pelter's for about as long as I remember, which is since Tal and family started his small yekev. But I just don't see the point of unoaked Chardonnay, particularly in Israel where we don't get OUTSTANDING Chard fruit. My opinon has not changed...

2010 Zafirim Adullam (not Kosher, but Kosher style) "Judean Hills" Appellation - 64% Cabernet Sauvignon, 32% Merlot 4% Cabernet Franc; 13 months in French oak barrels. Worth checking this winery out, this was a fine and representative Israeli Bordeaux blend. Not a blockbuster, but a fine accompaniment to our "Thanksgiving" turkey Shabbat meal.

Saturday afternoon, Givat Yeshayao Winery's 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon (Kosher) With 13% Petite Sirah. A good and somewhat unusual style for a Cab - Petite blend, because it's not a monster. While it's very dark, and structurally very solid, it has a rather racy acidity which the producer, the affable Yigal Israel, affirms was 100% natural, no acid added at all. While I prefer my Cabs to taste more like Cab, and the 13 % PS moves it significantly in another direction, this is a very good "beef stew" kind of wine with refreshing acidity to balance its weight.

Have a good week

Shavuo tov,

Lewis
Last edited by lewis.pasco on Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is too short to drink bad wine.
lewis.pasco
Ultra geek

Postby Z Spigelman » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:55 pm

Hi Harry.
Friday night - Tulip Mostly Cabernet Franc 2010.
Shabbat lunch - Gvaot Herodion Cabernet Sauvignon 2009.
Shavua Tov.
Zvi
Z Spigelman
Wine guru

Postby Josh Patt » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:40 pm

This shabbat we had two wines I picked up at Gabriel's shop:

Friday night we had the Shokek 2009 Cabernet. This is a small boutique winery in Susia (near Yatir) and this is the first wine I tried from them. It opens with black fruits (blackberry and black cherry) with soft tannins and bittersweet chocolate on the finish. A good, well made Cabernet.

Shabbat morning we had the Teperberg Terra 2011 Viognier. A crisp and focused nose of tropical fruits (papaya, lychee and pineapple) followed by a softer mouth with floral notes and a mineral finish (like an unoaked Chardonnay – maybe Chablis?). One of the best and most interesting Viogniers available in Israel.

A good week to all,
Josh
Josh Patt
Ultra geek

Postby Steven B » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:05 pm

Hi Harry,

2007 Dalton Zinfandel. I recently bought this on sale at a local wine store. It was enjoyed by all.
Steven B
Wine geek

Postby Isaac Chavel » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:07 pm

Hi, Harry, shavu'a tov

2011 Elvi InVita. Lovely.

A good week to all,

Isaac
Isaac Chavel
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:34 pm

lewis.pasco wrote:2010 Vikin "Levan" - delicious, another bit of alchemy from Assaf Paz of Vitkin and Binyamina (as his day job.) If true that this is comprised mostly French Colombard, than it is once again proof that Colombard in the right hands makes one of Israel's best and most distinctive whites. Vitkin will soon be Kosher my friends, according to rumors I have heard...

2009 Pelter Chardonnay unoaked. (not Kosher) OK I've been a fan of Tal Pelter's for about as long as I remember, which is since Tal and family started his small yekev. But I just don't see the point of unoaked Chardonnay, particularly in Israel where we don't get OUTSTANDING Chard fruit. My opinon has not changed...

Vitkin going kosher... Such great news! :) I hope this "rumor" will become a reality!

Lewis, if you've not tried it yet get your hands on a bottle of Zimbalista (unoacked) Chardonnay. I'd be very curious to hear your opinion on this one.

2010 Zafirim Adullam (not Kosher, but Kosher style) "Judean Hills" Appellation - 64% Cabernet Sauvignon, 32% Merlot 4% Cabernet Franc; 13 months in French oak barrels. Worth checking this winery out, this was a fine and representative Israeli Bordeaux blend. Not a blockbuster, but a fine accompaniment to our "Thanksgiving" turkey Shabbat meal.

What the heck is a "kosher-style wine"? :? Did you serve it with gefilte fish and cholent? Because it doesn't sound like Manischewitz from reading your TN... :mrgreen:

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby YoelA » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:09 am

Celebrating Thanksgiving leftovers night with two Burgundies

1995 Naddeff Gevrey-Chambertin Vielles vignes - sems to be drying out a bit; looks like it's past it's peak.

2003 Grossot Chablis 1er Cru Fourneaux - tasty, not as crisp as I like in a Chablis.
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby Pinchas L » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:19 am

Hi Harry,

Hagafen Roussanne 2010 - As an accompaniment to the lighter dishes of a meal this is the perfect white wine, with enough acidity and creaminess for it to stand up to just about any type of dish, and although floral it does not offer even a hint of sweetness. In fact it possesses traces of bitterness, that on its own might be a tad harsh, but with a creamy pasta dish would be a delight. 13.5% and $18 directly from the winery. B+/***

Dalton Alma Syrah Mourvedre Viognier 2009 - This wine has been featured on a thread of its own. While I like the wine, I do not share the hyped up enthusiasm. For some reason some folks tend to think that wines scoring 88-90 are somewhat berated, forgetting that in that range the wines are quite good, and by no means simple quaffers. In this case, I concur with Rogov, who did not consider this to be an excellent wine. That notwithstanding, the style of this wine is a breath of fresh air in the Israeli landscape. The fruit is restrained, accompanied by floral notes and hints of leather, mounted on a medium body. I liked it better at cellar than at room temperature, because as it warmed up the heat of its 14.5% AbV took prominence, distorting the fruit and delicate flavors, and being a load too much for its frame too handle. B-/**

Best,
-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvellous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby lewis.pasco » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:39 am

Dear Gabriel,

"Kosher - style" as friends here have used the term, refers to a winery or food preparation establishment that in the actual practice follows Kosher law but does not pay for or have Kashrut. There are some micro producers that simply can't afford the hiring of an Orthodox man to make their wine, let alone the additional cost of Rabbinical supervision. Some of these business are open on Shabbat for tourist trade, and it's economically necessary for them, so that prevents them from being Kosher. But they follow Kosher practice in all other ways in their actual wine or food production.

I realize that's meaningless for those who observe strict Kashrut; so please don't laugh...

"Zimbalista", eh? I like the name. Got a specific vintage in mind?
Life is too short to drink bad wine.
lewis.pasco
Ultra geek

Postby Sam M » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:17 am

2011 covenant landsman Pinot noir. Gaston, thanks for sharing. very nice , true Pinot noir, varietally . I just have to comment on the effervescence on the pallet, which took away from the experience. It was not bubbly but just had that feel in the mouth. any one else experience this? What is the cause?

Sam
Sam M
Ultra geek

Postby Yehoshua Werth » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:16 pm

2009 Or Haganuz - Select - Big, Dark, deep and perfect for my wifes Chulent! Yumm

WE - just gave this a 90Pts watch out
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
Yehoshua Werth
Wine guru

Postby Harry J » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:37 pm

Hi; yarden viognier '06. Very enjoyable. Chilled for a few hours. The color of a light honey. Full fruit flavors on the palette with a subtle acidity. If your near Yehoshua's place they have a great deal on this wine. H
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:24 pm

lewis.pasco wrote:Dear Gabriel,

"Kosher - style" as friends here have used the term, refers to a winery or food preparation establishment that in the actual practice follows Kosher law but does not pay for or have Kashrut. There are some micro producers that simply can't afford the hiring of an Orthodox man to make their wine, let alone the additional cost of Rabbinical supervision. Some of these business are open on Shabbat for tourist trade, and it's economically necessary for them, so that prevents them from being Kosher. But they follow Kosher practice in all other ways in their actual wine or food production.

I realize that's meaningless for those who observe strict Kashrut; so please don't laugh...

"Zimbalista", eh? I like the name. Got a specific vintage in mind?

Gotcha. There was one of the wineries at the Judean Hills Festival in Tzora that claimed to operate this way.

Regarding the Zimbalista, it's indeed a nice (kosher) little winery located in Moshav Avigdor close to Ashkelon, they make exclusively unoaked white wines. It was the 2010 vintage. Let me know if you're interested and I'll text you how to get it (it's a bit expensive, around 100 nis).

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:29 pm

Yehoshua Werth wrote:2009 Or Haganuz - Select - Big, Dark, deep and perfect for my wifes Chulent! Yumm

WE - just gave this a 90Pts watch out

Very interesting indeed. There's a famous Jerusalem's landmark restaurant specializing in ashkenazi cuisine moving to the shopping center where we are and I was wondering the other day what wine would pair best with cholent... :lol: Folks, should we open a new thread for this? :mrgreen:
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Isaac C » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:06 pm

Carmel Appelation Cabernet Franc 2009 with a grilled rack of lamb - the wine was very enjoyable, the lamb superb. Definitely a great QPR when you get it for less than $15.
Isaac C
Ultra geek

Postby David Raccah » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:34 pm

So - no blog posting on this weekend's wine as it is a still not released bottle - yummy and more to come when it is released. For dinner, we delayed our turkey interests a day and had two turkey breasts, with a stuffing/dressing, homemade cranberry sauce, and green bean salad.
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Andrew B » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:29 am

David Raccah wrote:So - no blog posting on this weekend's wine as it is a still not released bottle -

Double cliffhanger -- blowout tasting notes too?
Andrew B
Wine guru

Postby Yehoshua Werth » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:33 pm

Seems strange... How not to tell the world on a bottle that was released.. Yet just to you...

How to help bring out the best in advance but to share with the crowd and build the hype?

Silly... We shall wait :)
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
Monsey, NY USA
Yehoshua Werth
Wine guru

Postby David Raccah » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:38 pm

Yehoshua - I could have taken this post in so many ways - all I will say is that I have more respect for other people's privacy and concerns than you do of mine. Also, I NEVER EVER hype a wine - I gain nothing for it and never will. That is not my game - maybe it is the game of others...

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Yehoshua Werth » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:16 pm

The wording was taken' in the exact opposite of what I meant...

When I owned a record store years ago and got samples of new Vinyl(records) they wanted feedback as soon as possible and loved when I posted a Public(Radio or Magazine review) overview.

You are a respected person in our circle and would think if the wine is good that people would be or the Wine maker would be thrilled by your praise and or feedback. Hype is an industry term that I will use different from now on based on your reaction. (Thank you).

Again finished the post with SILLY" and said we shall wait...

Hoping we can be open to whatever comes and not have each-other under a microscope looking for issues and find the good within what is presented.

Only looking to hear of what you spoke of what you will not speak of RIGHT? Again silly,

Have a great day :)
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
Monsey, NY USA
Yehoshua Werth
Wine guru

Postby Elie Poltorak » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:46 pm

Better late than never:

This weekend I opened several wine has come, and unfortunately gone.... In lieu of a rating, I'll designate these wines "OBM."

2007 Yarden Pinot Noir (OBM) This wine is declining rapidly. I've been drinking a bottle a month for the past several months and it's been going downhill, with this bottle almost vinegary. Granted some of it is due to bottle variation, but if you have any left, DRINK UP!!!

2006 Four Gates La Rochelle Merlot (OBM) This wine is long gone. It was a rather light-bodied wine to begin with and not one for cellaring. If you have any, use for decoration. I still have both a regular bottle and a magnum of the '06 M.S.C., but I hope those are still good, as it's a much more substantial wine. I'll open the standard bottle sometime soon.

2007 Gilgal (aka Gamla) Cabernet Sauvignon (on life support) Not a great wine to begin with, it's fading fast. Use for cooking or for drinking after you're too sloshed to know the difference.

2001 Chateua Tour de Agasseux 375ml format (B/***) This bottle really surprised me. At its age in a small format bottle, I expected total oxidization and a dead wine. To my delight, this wine still had some life left in it! Brick rim betrays its maturity but nice, dark center coloring. Very earthy. Not terribly complex but a very food-friendly, mature table wine.

Last but certainly not least, I indulged in a bottle of the incredible 2009 Dalton Wild Yeast Viognier (A/***). In its old age, the wine has lost much of its delicate floral nose, but it has become deliciously sweet--paired wonderfully with a platter of bloomy cheese and fresh fruit (parsimons, figs, and pears). Simply delightful!
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Mark Verschell » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:41 pm

Elie Poltorak wrote:Last but certainly not least, I indulged in a bottle of the incredible 2009 Dalton Wild Yeast Viognier (A/***). In its old age, the wine has lost much of its delicate floral nose, but it has become deliciously sweet--paired wonderfully with a platter of bloomy cheese and fresh fruit (parsimons, figs, and pears). Simply delightful!

I can't help but agree with you on the '09 Dalton. Absolutely adore it...

However, my local supplier tells me that Dalton stopped making the Viognier with the 2009 vintage. Say that this isn't so!
Mark Verschell
Cellar rat

Next

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum