WTN: My First Shirah and one Spanish

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

WTN: My First Shirah and one Spanish

Postby Pinchas L » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:18 pm

After treating my friends to a vertical tasting of Castel Grand Vin, they reciprocated with two wines I haven't had.

Shriah WInes Bro Deux 2010 - When the wine was poured it seemed like a Grenache, with a purple hue that is somewhat thin. Its medium body gave a hollow impression coming on the heels of the other wines I've had that evening. However, when I had the remainder the following night the wine came into its own with a very intriguing range of flavors, that I would not associate with a Californian nor a French wine. There is a wide range of fruit flavors, but they seem taken from a palette of pastels. Behind the fruit is an earthiness that is not at all French, and I'm not even sure that earthiness is the right descriptor for it. If I recall correctly the alcohol level stands at 15%, but I don't recall sensing any heat nor an over ripeness of the fruit. It is a very nuanced wine that I also found it to be very food friendly. Besides the high quality of the contents, I feel the urge to comment on the clever name, and the beautiful label, though I did not increase the score for these attributes. The blend is 36% Cabernet Sauvignon, 18% Cabernet Franc, 18% Malbec, 18% Petit Verdot, 10% Syrah. Listed on the winery's site for $40. B+/**

Elvi Wines Hirenza Crianza 2009 - The wine is much brighter in fruit and acid than the BroDeux, and hence showed better initially. My friends like this a lot, but after re-tasting I favor the BroDeux. The wine is made of Tempranillo and showcases bright cherry with abundant spices. B/NA

Grading for quality: A - marvellous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Re: WTN: My First Shirah and one Spanish

Postby Jonathan K » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:42 am

Pinchas,
Thanks for the great notes. I too found the Bro-deux to be a harmonious, interesting wine. I am glad you posted your thought on the "earthiness" or whatever that is. I had seen the term "green" used and felt that wasn't descriptive of my experience. I found it to be more of a balancing character in a wine with clearly plenty of fruit- a sort of herbal quality missing from most fruit bombs.
Anyway thanks again for your take.
Jonathan K
Ultra geek

Re: WTN: My First Shirah and one Spanish

Postby David Raccah » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:17 pm

I do not want to derail these notes - but green is NOT EVIL! If I say green and herb that is not bad. under ripe fruit is bad, but have bell pepper to me is not a flaw. No matter how you wish to spin this wine, it has green and herbaceous notes - which are fine, especially for a blend of this style. I know that Hagafen goes out of its way to rid its wines of green notes - whether it be the franc of the blends. That said, I enjoy green and herbs when it is balanced and controlled under a canopy of fruit, and NOT the other way around.
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum