TN: Flam Syrah Reserve 2010 (K)

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

TN: Flam Syrah Reserve 2010 (K)

Postby Gabriel Geller » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:41 pm

Hello folks,

For lunch today we decided to honor a couple of visiting wine lovers and open for both tasting and food pairing ("Entrecote de boeuf sauce au poivre") a bottle of the newly released Flam Syrah Reserve 2010 which is the winery's first kosher wine in the Reserve series. Given it's youth and taking also into consideration both Rogov's and the winery's advice to wait a little while before opening this one, we figured that for a somewhat proper tasting it would need some serious decanting time. I tend to be a purist and avoid aerators whenever possible but we didn't have so much time so I used a quite harsh yet efficient method by pouring thru a built-on the bottle aerator together with a vinturi into a large decanter carafe which I also vigorously agitated. So far so good, that did the trick.

Flam, Syrah Reserve 2010: Deep, almost inky purple towards garnet, a mix of very ripe black fruit as well as fresh and highly aromatic spring flowers on the nose along with hints of mocha and smoke, all that gave me a feeling that the wine will have some sweetness a-la Yarden Ortal. I was wrong. Full-bodied with on the palate bramble, blackcherries, cassis and toasty oak, with notes of espresso and minted chocolate "cooling" the palate a bit, that elegantly showing on the long, round and silky tannic finish. Elegant and polished yet gentle and promising. I look forward to the further development of this wine and will hopefully open a bottle again in a few years.

Best,

GG
Attachments
flam.JPG
flam.JPG (99.78 KiB) Viewed 825 times
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum