Because / WeeksEnd wine

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Because / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Harry J » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:50 am

bsd
Of course there are exceptions;however generaly we tend to gravitate towards emphasizing the bigger things in life.
If only we could realize how so often its those little things that truly are very big.
Have a good one; h
Harry J
Wine guru

Re: Because / WeeksEnd wine

Postby David Raccah » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:29 pm

WOW! Super quiet here recently, I guess everyone is on vacation. Anyway, thanks Harry, we intend to enjoy some roast beef and a bottle of 2003 Four Gates Syrah!

Shabbat Shalom to all!
David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:13 pm

Hi Harry, Shavua Tov,

I was hosted at a friend's 7 brachot (the 7 blessings recited at a Jewish wedding and everyday after the meal, usually after dinner, by the young couple's family & friends over the week following the ceremony) Friday night. Luckily enough, I brought wine of my own for the meal... enough said. :wink:

Friday night: Carmel Appellation Petite Sirah 2007. Very good and very much appreciated by all the wine drinkers around the table. No change from my previous note 2 weeks ago. Some Calvados Boulard VSOP was also much appreciated after dessert.

Shabbat lunch: Dalton Zinfandel 2008. Same here, great wine and QPR, no change either since the last time.

An excellent week to all,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Z Spigelman » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:15 pm

Hi Harry.
Friday night - Yarden Merlot Odem Organic 2006 - what a delight and still very fruity.
Shabbat lunch - invited to Sheva Brachot where they served Carmel SelecteD Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and the Cab-Merlot blend. Didn't bother checking the year but at least it was better than the Barkan Classic at the wedding.
Friday afternoon tasted at Wine and More / Hinnawi Yehud the Sito Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2011 from New Zealand (O.U. - not mevushal). Totally different than the Israeli ones that I am used to. On the nose very strong tropical fruits and very smooth and fruity on the tongue.
Shavua Tov.
Zvi
Z Spigelman
Wine guru

Postby Isaac Chavel » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:48 pm

Hi, Harry, shavu'a tov,

2009 Domaine Netofa. Friday night was a bit too warm, distorted the experience. Shabbat lunch was much better. One of our favorites.
Isaac Chavel
Wine guru

Postby Stephen Weil » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:35 am

A disaster Shabbat. Invited out Friday night and was impressed that host opened 2009 Petit Castel. I had brought a bottle of Barkan Assemblage. The Castel was clearly off. I guess it happens. Shabbat lunch I opened a bottle of Givat Hachalukin 2007 from Tzora. When I poured it id was brown and I was clearly disappointed. Out of frustration went to Glen Livet 18.
Have a good week
Steve
Stephen Weil
Ultra geek

Postby Pinchas L » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:10 am

Hi Harry,

Goose Bay South Island Sauvignon Blanc 2010 - No subtlety here. The wine hits you with in-your-face intense citrus, that is backed up by grass. It is technically dry, but its fruitiness lends it a sweetish character, so much so, that by my second glass my palate was fatigued. Although it is charming and lively, I would not recommend this as a wine to accompany an entire meal. Drink a glass at the start of the meal and move on to something else. 13% AbV and $15 at Schnapps. C+/***

Hagafen (Prix Label) Pinot Noir--Fagan Creek Block 38--2005 - Having had Hagafen's other single block bottling--Californian Soliel North Block--several weeks ago, made this an interesting tasting, allowing me to experience how these two bottlings evolved differently over time. While I thought that the Soliel has matured, the Fagan Creek retained its raciness and livliness, and is doing well. The flavor profile is what others call cherry cola, but with layers of strawberry confecture underneath, and accompanied nicely by mint and a smokiness. There is no purity of fruit nor precision, neither is the wine elegant, nonetheless it is an interesting wine that is well structured. 13.5% and about $50 on release. B/*

Best,
-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvellous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby Shlomo R » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:59 am

The choice of wine this past Friday night was interesting. I felt that a special bottle of wine was merited in recognition of my having completed Bike4Chai - a 2 day, 168 mile bicycle ride to raise money for Camp Simcha, which is a summer camp for children with cancer and/or other serious illnesses. Ultimately, I chose to open a bottle of 2001 Chateau Piada Sauternes, because I received the bottle from a child of someone who used to be a big supporter of Chai Lifeline. We also opened a 2005 Yarden Cabernet Sauvignon, since the Sauternes is better as a dessert wine.
http://www.chailifeline.org/events/Bike ... rosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again in 2014!
Shlomo R
Ultra geek

Postby Harry J » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:05 am

good morning; appreciated the Yarden viognier 2009.Although i couldnt sense the nose or fruits described in Rogovs TN the wine has nice weight and acidity.
Also tasted a nice blush grape juine from Joseph Zakon winery,LongIsland.Got me remebering when there was several years ago a delicious grape juive imported here from Yarden(non mevushal). h
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Shawn Johnson » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:55 am

Borgo Maturo 2010 for kiddush

Dalton Estate Cab Sauv 2010 with roast

Good week to all.
Shawn Johnson
Ultra geek

Postby Stacey B » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:03 am

Friday Night 1848 Reserve 2006, Ella Cab Franc 2007
Shabbat Lunch Kyoumi Riesling 2010
Ourtober Fall beer from Magic Hat
Stacey B
Wine geek

Postby Yehoshua Werth » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:44 pm

May everyone be having a nice weekend :)

My wifes all time Favorite=

2009 Alexander Reserve Cab.. Never stops bringing her ea smile and yes I like the wine very much.. Just flat out round and smooth ..

2010 Agur Rosa - This truly is a subtle wine with a lot of hinting and trace notes.. No attack and if one is not looking it could be gone. Drinks WAY to easy and had the bottle gone with a friend for our last meal Shabbos Day.. Herbs, touches of thinned red berries some mid level acid and yeah well.. Give this to someone who likes White Zin and look at what they say!!!
Almost semi-dry yet not.. FUN!
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
Yehoshua Werth
Wine guru

Postby Jonathan K » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:25 pm

Four Gates 2007 Cabernet Franc: Last opened one around Pesach (I think) and had earmarked another try for August. Decanted at 6 PM in a large decanter, served at 8:30 PM and took another hour to really open up (that's 3.5 hours!!). When it did open up it was absolutely delightful with some bell pepper and dark fruits, although maybe some cherry as well. Slight spice on the nose that showed up in hour 4. A bit too elegant for the chicken livers that we had for dinner (should have checked the menu and opened a Syrah).

Since I am now out of the 2006 which I could just pour and drink, I will probably wait a while before opening another, but this one may turn out better than the 2006 when all is said and done.
Jonathan K
Ultra geek

Postby Isaac C » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:35 pm

Yarden Cabernet 2008 - corked :-( and Yarden T2 2008 - Excellent wine! This dessert wine really shines. Great nose and mouth on the wine, and the 18% alcohol goes down very smoothly. The mouth on this wine is sweet (but not cloyingly so) and has strong notes of cherries. The finish on this wine is long and flavorful with soft notes of chocolate and oak. This wine is not syrupy like a port wine and I am not yet sure how long it will drink well once opened - so far it has been delicious for 3 days and might have even improved during that time.
Isaac C
Ultra geek

Postby gaston k » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:41 pm

Stormy Friday on the Jersey Shore, and not in the mood to pay the high local wine prices, so once again chose beer...
Fri. Night - can of Boddington's
Shabbat Lunch - Amarcord Italian Blonde Ale

Also of note was a 32oz half-growler of the new Harpoon/Whole Foods collaboration - beer was a Saison-style and very good for those who like the funkier farmhouse-style ales
gaston k
Ultra geek

Postby Gedalya P » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:42 pm

Friday night: Ella Valley rose- very nice
Shabbos lunch: Agur Kessem and new Livni Shani- see note elsewhere
From Cellar 18 in Ramat Beit Shemesh
Gedalya P
Wine geek

Postby Elie Poltorak » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:20 pm

I was traveling on business last week and got stuck in a hole-in-the-wall when all flights to NY were cancelled Friday due to the storm. The only kosher wines in the local shop were the infamous Manishewitz and Teal Lake Shiraz. I bought a bottle of Teal Lake for kiddush but figured I'd be better off with some beer, so I picked up a 6-pack of Unibrue's Trois Pistols, which was fabulous. When I got home yesterday, I made up for lost time by opening a couple bottles with dinner.

Teal Lake Shiraz (didn't note vintage): C/** A light-bodied, easy-drinking quaffer. Did the trick for kidush/havdala.

2011 Flam Rose--A-/** I absolutely LOVE this wine. Can't get enough of it. For sheer delight, I'd give it an A+

2010 Recanati Cabernet Sauvignon: D/** David's effusive praise for Recanati inspired me to buy their entire selection and make my way through it over the next few weeks (The last 2 weeks I've posted TNs on the White SR and the very decent bargain basement Shiraz). After my very positive experience with the Shiraz, I had relatively high hopes for this wine despite its rock-bottom price, but alas, it was not to be. While I can't say it has any major flaw and it's certainly drinkable, there's simply nothing appealing in this wine. I suppose it's far better than some of the gunk other wineries produce in their entry-level labels (e.g., Barkan), but that's not saying much.

2010 Chateau Thenac- Fleur du Perigord: B+/** Finding a French wine that's merely drinkable for under $50 is quite a challenge so its nice to see a very nice wine at the $25 mark. Medium-bodied and elegant, with loads of plum on the nose; hints of spice and oak, balanced acidity makes it food-friendly, with tight, not fully integrated tannins suggesting some cellaring potential.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby David Raccah » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:57 pm

Elie Poltorak wrote:
2010 Recanati Cabernet Sauvignon: D/** David's effusive praise for Recanati inspired me to buy their entire selection and make my way through it over the next few weeks (The last 2 weeks I've posted TNs on the White SR and the very decent bargain basement Shiraz). After my very positive experience with the Shiraz, I had relatively high hopes for this wine despite its rock-bottom price, but alas, it was not to be. While I can't say it has any major flaw and it's certainly drinkable, there's simply nothing appealing in this wine. I suppose it's far better than some of the gunk other wineries produce in their entry-level labels (e.g., Barkan), but that's not saying much.

Indeed the Cab is the weakest of their line and maybe my B+ was too high, but your D may be a bit too low :lol:
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby David Raccah » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:41 am

Where has everyone been this week? Anyway, the 2003 Four Gates Syrah was lovely and well worth trying again now. If you have a couple and have not tried it recently, open one up - for darn sakes! If you have had it recently, wait another year and see where it is. I have two left, or so, and I would be SHOCKED if this changes drastically now. I think it is at its peak - so enjoy it now for the next two or so years.

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2012/08/16 ... ra-valley/
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Elie Poltorak » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:26 am

David Raccah wrote:Where has everyone been this week? Anyway, the 2003 Four Gates Syrah was lovely and well worth trying again now. If you have a couple and have not tried it recently, open one up - for darn sakes! If you have had it recently, wait another year and see where it is. I have two left, or so, and I would be SHOCKED if this changes drastically now. I think it is at its peak - so enjoy it now for the next two or so years.

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2012/08/16 ... ra-valley/

I'd give my right arm for another bottle of this. It's one of the very best wines I've ever tasted. I think it merits a full A, if not A+ If anyone has a bottle they'd trade, hit me up.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum