WTN: Tzora Judean Hills 2009

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

WTN: Tzora Judean Hills 2009

Postby Pinchas L » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:40 am

Tzora Judean Hills 2009 - The components of this regional blend are 72% Cabernet Sauvignon, 18% Merlot and 10% Syrah. My curiosity has been gnawing at me for quite some time, itching for an opportunity to have Tzora's regional blend, wanting to see how it matches up against Flam's Classico and Dalton's Alma. The mere fact that Tzora's current blend features Syrah in the minor role, compared to the Petit Verdot and Cabernet Franc favored by the others, points to the fruitier direction Tzora's wine has taken. Indeed, this wine does not have the herbaceousness and green streak the Flam and Dalton feature, sporting instead a spiciness, the product of its syrah combined with its relatively high alcohol content, standing in at 14.5%. Its style is more Italian than French, so much so that had I drunk it blind, I would have guessed that it was made of Barbera. The body is of rather medium weight, and it showcases lovely silky tannins, albeit minimal oak, with the fruit making quite a bold statement. At this juncture I prefer the Flam because it works better with food, but the Tzora has its charms. I paid about 80 NIS at the winery. B-/**
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Re: WTN: Tzora Judean Hills 2009

Postby YoelA » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:50 pm

Pinhas: We received a bottle of this as a gift. Any idea about the drinking window?
YoelA
Wine guru

Re: WTN: Tzora Judean Hills 2009

Postby Pinchas L » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:02 pm

Hi Yoel,

The wine is young and vibrant, and though I'm no expert I would not hesitate holding on to it for two more years. However, for someone with a single bottle, my advice would be to drink it within the next half year, to appreciate its current state. Personally, I don't load up on this bottling, purchasing between 4-6 bottles annually, drinking two each year, though I sometimes postpone delivery until a year after its initial release. This was my first bottle of the '09 vintage.

-> Pinchas
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum