New Israeli port by an interesting winery

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

New Israeli port by an interesting winery

Postby Gabriel Geller » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:11 am

Ok guys this one is interesting. I'm far from being an expert of port-style wines though I don't dislike them by any means, I'm just not a big fan of red dessert wines in general.

I received a bottle for tasting from a tiny boutique winery called Kinor David located in Kiryat Arba near 'Hevron in the Judean Hills. This is the first time that I hear about this winery. It was founded in 2001 and is nowhere to be found in Rogov's books, perhaps because they produce too few bottles (Rogov z.l. used not to list winery producing less than 3000 bottles/year) though I was told that current production is about 5000 bottles.

The head wine maker is David Edrei and he has collaborated with Jacques Humeau who is the current winemaker of the new Artsi winery which has released its first wines earlier this year, he is also the former winemaker for Hevron Heights winery.

To the best of my knowledge, Kinor David makes 4 wines: A Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot blend, a Cabernet Sauvignon/Pinot Noir blend (like Livni's Reed Pipe) and a Cabernet Sauvignon all aged in french oak barrels.

Their port-style wine is called KPort and was aged for 5 years (!!!) in french oak barrels and is said to be made of "Port grapes" ( :? ) from a vineyard at an altitude of 985 meters.

Whatever are the grapes this wine is actually made of, it is definitely pleasant.

Kinor David, KPort N.V.: Deep garnet, with on the nose candied cherries and almonds (Disaronno comes to mind), full-bodied with on the palate rich flavors of candied cherries, raspberry jam and almonds with a spicy hint of black pepper and honey coated pecan nuts on a long and round finish. Quite tasty and very different from other Israeli port style wines that I've tasted (not so many).

For those who can read and understand Hebrew here is their website: http://kinordavidwinery.co.il/

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Re: New Israeli port by an interesting winery

Postby Elie Poltorak » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:51 pm

The Kinor Dovid port has a cult following. It's very different from other port-style wines and although I generally don't like port and port-style wines (being confined to Kosher, I haven't tasted that many, but the ones I have I've found to be too sweet for my liking), the Kinor Dovid is a real treat. Unfortunately, it's available only directly from the winemaker in Kiryat Arba. His wines aren't bad either but not outstanding like the port.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:16 pm

Wow Elie! I must admit that I didn't really expect many to know about this winery and certainly not about their port! Do you happen to know by any chance which grapes are used to make it? And have you tasted the CabSauv/Pinot blend?

I just found the post back in March this year where you first mentioned it yourself. Well, all I can say is that likely this port wine will soon not be exclusively available at the winery... :wink:
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Daniel Kovnat » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:45 pm

I am still waiting for a bottle for tasting from any winery. :P But there's really no reason for anyone to send me a bottle of wine. :mrgreen:

Do they have a price set on this port?

Just visited Odem Mountain Winery (now producing kosher wines) yesterday and tasted their red port-style wine they call Shani which is quite good. I think it sells for about 100 shekels/bottle. They also have a small number of bottles of their (?new) white port-style called Amber selling at quite a high price. I seem to remember 125 shekels, but don't quote me. It is scrumptious for those of us who like this style of wine making. I have always been enamored of Port and port-style wines, even if they are made (perish the thought), from Rimon Winery.

Dan
Come on over to read about my experience tasting wines produced in Israel at http://www.israelwinetaster.com
Daniel Kovnat
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:08 pm

Daniel Kovnat wrote:Do they have a price set on this port?

I don't know how much they ask for it at the winery but I was advised, if I ever decide to sell it, to ask a ridiculously high price for it and I'm not going to do that. It will not be the cheapest wine out there but the price will remain reasonable if we take into consideration that this is a wine that can be kept alive for quite a while after being opened and from which one usually enjoys a few sips from time to time. By the way, I've re-checked their website and it says that the port is actually made with Cabernet Sauvignon grapes, so no more mystery... Kinda disappointing, I was very amused with the "made of Port grapes" on the label! :lol:
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Elie Poltorak » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:19 pm

I hope your selling it won't make the winery jack up the price! :wink: They sell it for around 150 Shek if memory serves me right. Because it is a less sweet cab based wine, I wouldn't sip it like a liqueur and expect it to last a while. I think It will begin to decline after a few days. And for the same reasons, you can drink a lot more of it than a typical sweet wine without the cloying feeling. This is all conjecture though because whenever I've opened a bottle at the Shabbos table, it was quickly consumed. :lol:
I tried the blend but the bottle I got from a friend who shlepped it over was older and a bit over the hill (not sure how long my friend had it and it probably was left in the Israeli heat) so I can't really say much about it.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Kovnat » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:09 am

Elie Poltorak wrote:I hope your selling it won't make the winery jack up the price! :wink: They sell it for around 150 Shek if memory serves me right. Because it is a less sweet cab based wine, I wouldn't sip it like a liqueur and expect it to last a while. I think It will begin to decline after a few days. And for the same reasons, you can drink a lot more of it than a typical sweet wine without the cloying feeling. This is all conjecture though because whenever I've opened a bottle at the Shabbos table, it was quickly consumed. :lol:
I tried the blend but the bottle I got from a friend who shlepped it over was older and a bit over the hill (not sure how long my friend had it and it probably was left in the Israeli heat) so I can't really say much about it.

If it is really a port-style wine, one should be able to keep it months after opening and recorking without using the vacuum thing or refrigerating. It would have an added "preservative" such as brandy or a grape-based alcohol. So slowly sip away and it won't slip away. :wink:

Dan
Come on over to read about my experience tasting wines produced in Israel at http://www.israelwinetaster.com
Daniel Kovnat
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:38 am

I really need to catch up on port wines! Dan, I believe that Elie is right, and I trust his experience with this wine. The Kinor David, while sweet, is not at all cloying and combined with a not so high alcohol content I think it should be consumed within a few weeks at best and kept in the fridge. I've opened it last Thursday and it's still drinking as good if not even better now than last week. But I can feel that it wouldn't last if not stored well and cool and for no more than 2 weeks I guess. Too bad you don't live near by I'd have gladly invite you to enjoy a glass and judge for yourself!

Elie: Which port style wines have you had lately? How does the KD compare to say, Or Haganuz Har Sinai, Psagot Prat, Har Odem or Yarden T2?
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Daniel Kovnat » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:56 am

Hey Gabe,

Do you to tastings at your wine shop? How about a blind tasting of all the port-style wines of Israel? I'd make the shlep down to Jerusalem for that. The other winery that makes a good one is Adir, though for my part the Har Odem Shani as the best.
Daniel Kovnat
Ultra geek

Postby Gedalya P » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:37 pm

I haven't tried the Kinor David, but I'm hearing a very positive buzz.
Or Haganuz, although nothing like a port, is an exquisite red dessert wine. It's called Cahoors style, and Shiloh once made a Madeira style that was also delicious.
T2 I was not impressed with. Maybe it needs time.
Psagot and Tzuba make nice port-style wines.
Har Odem has delicious red and white dessert wines.
My favorite is still Tura Porturra, and I'm waiting for the 2009 to be released. It's complex and not as sweet- like a real port.
From Cellar 18 in Ramat Beit Shemesh
Gedalya P
Wine geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:36 pm

Daniel Kovnat wrote:Hey Gabe,

Do you to tastings at your wine shop? How about a blind tasting of all the port-style wines of Israel? I'd make the shlep down to Jerusalem for that. The other winery that makes a good one is Adir, though for my part the Har Odem Shani as the best.

Dan, I do tastings indeed and your idea is not a bad one at all! I'll sure keep you posted if we'll make it happen. :)
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Gabriel Geller » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Gedalya, hi! Interesting re: the Shiloh Madeira, didn't know that. By the way, I was told that Shiloh made a late harvest Chardonnay, did you hear anything?
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Elie Poltorak » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:36 am

Like I said, I'm not at all into sweet wines so I don't really remember what I've tasted at various tastings. I know I haven't tried the Yarden T2 due to shmitta. I have a faint recollection of trying the Har Odem somewhere but can't remember my impressions. Haven't tried the Tzuba or Psagot. I did recently taste the Tepperberg at the Gotham VIP tasting and it was nice--very similar flavor profile to the Kinor Dovid but heavier and sweeter. The Kinor Dovid is unique in its easy drinking. It's just sweet enough but no more. The port purists probably won't like it but to me (and a few friends that have similarly become obsessed with it) it's just right and quite a treat when I can get it.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Stephen Weil » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:06 am

I over a period of time tried every possible kosher port style wine in Israel and our group were unanimous the best was
made by Tal Manor at Ruth Winnery. Try it guys
Chodesh Tov
Steve
Stephen Weil
Ultra geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum