Upside Down / WeeksEnd wine

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Re: Upside Down / WeeksEnd wine

Postby gaston k » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:29 pm

Fri Night - Shiloh Barbera 2009 - I agree with Isaac C, enjoyable but missing something - maybe because its the mevushal version?
Sat Lunch - glass of PeraJ Petita 2009 and a Kronenbourg 1664
gaston k
Ultra geek

Postby Jon Tabak » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:43 pm

http://www.KosherWino.com - Supporting your kosher wine habit
Jon Tabak
Ultra geek

Postby David Raccah » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:09 am

I had the Harkham Chardonnay. I talk about that and a comparison of the three last Chards I have drunk. The 2010 Harkham Chard, the 2011 Terrenal Chard (Chile), and the 2009 Katamon Chard.

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2012/06/13 ... d-options/

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Elie Poltorak » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:38 am

I like Pinchas's new rating system so I'll adopt it as well.

Barkan Superior Shiraz '06--this wine is still improving. creamy, chewy, very fruit forward but the sweetness is well balanced with tanins. excellent structure. One of my favorite wines with a good roast. A/**

Yatir Forrest '07 Magnum--Awesome wine as we've come to expect from this very consistent label, but still in its infancy--particularly in the magnum format. Will develop for many years to come. Opened friday night--was drinking much better the next day, and really shone in the bottom of the bottle I poured for Havdala. A/**

Castel "C" Chardonnay '07--Sulfur still predominates on the nose, overwhelming everything else. The wine is full-bodied with strong oak overshadowing the fruit. unbalanced. not my favorite. C/*

Covenant '09--A real blockbuster. This is one of my favorite vintages yet from Covenant. Although young, the wine is already very enjoyable. A/**

Yarden Rom '07--I just don't get this wine. It would be a nice wine at $40, but at $160??? Am I missing something? To my palate, this blend--although exceptionally smooth, complex, and well balanced--simply lacks character. This is not a memorable wine in any sense of the word. If I had to describe it in one word, it would be "over-engineered." Yarden makes FAR better wines at much lower prices in the single vineyard series. (P.S. I had the same reaction to the '06 when I tasted it last year.) B+ to A-/*
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Adam N » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:51 am

Elie Poltorak,

I'm assuming the wine was decanted or aerated to some extant before drinking. I had a bottle last November and it was tasting very tight and closed. The next day, the wine was fantastic! As far as the $160 goes, as a result of it's limited quantities, at that point it becomes like rare Art or desirable real estate. It will sell for whatever the next (sucker) person is willing to pay.

My 2 cents,
Adam N
Wine geek

Postby Yehoshua Werth » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:07 pm

"Rom" should be too young to fully get into anyway.
As he said ^^^^ the wine on opening was way too tight and closed yet the next day amazing... Needs a few more years maybe longer.. Sounds crazy; yet to be voted as one of the better wineries in the world(Italian press) and to have its best bottle ready to drink now... Nahh they are looking for the long hall.. Big tannin and very complex may not be showing its true colors for some time.. hope some will hang around and wait...
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
Yehoshua Werth
Wine guru

Postby Elie Poltorak » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:52 am

I certainly aerated the Rom--opened for several hours, decanted through a Venturi, etc. Even left some for the next morning to see if it would improve overnight. No luck! The wine opened up but there just wasn't all that much to it.

I wrote that the FORREST was too tight when opened but opened up overnight and was amazing.

I understand that the Rom is young and expected it to be tight, but you can taste future greatness even in a barrel sample. There just doesn't seem to be any there there.

As far as the price goes, I think the El Rom is in much tighter supply than the Rom (although that may be because it's a third the price) and it's incomparably better IMHO.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Elie Poltorak » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:41 am

I just found this: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=34558&p=290799&hilit=yarden+cabernet+sauvignon+rogov+tasting+note#p290799

So I'm not the only one who doesn't get the Rom...
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:41 am

As we were chatting about the El Rom yesterday, a customer asked me about the Rom, saying friends of his were not impressed after he poured them the El Rom because they had already tasted the Rom that was "so much better", so they told him. He said that he didn't care much for that and enjoyed more of his wine. I couldn't agree more because I find it a bit inappropriate to compare 2 wines that are not comparable. The El Rom is a pure Cabernet, the Rom is a blend, period. 2 different categories. You may want to compare the Rom '07 with the Yiron '07 ( :shock: ) if you wish as the same varieties are involved (Cabernet, Merlot and Syrah) but considering the investment in engineering the Rom combined with the longer barrel aging (21 months for the Rom vs 16 for the Yiron) that certainly wouldn't be fair (IMHO).
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Postby Elie Poltorak » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:49 am

Gabriel Geller wrote:As we were chatting about the El Rom yesterday, a customer asked me about the Rom, saying friends of his were not impressed after he poured them the El Rom because they had already tasted the Rom that was "so much better", so they told him. He said that he didn't care much for that and enjoyed more of his wine. I couldn't agree more because I find it a bit inappropriate to compare 2 wines that are not comparable. The El Rom is a pure Cabernet, the Rom is a blend, period. 2 different categories. You may want to compare the Rom '07 with the Yiron '07 ( :shock: ) if you wish as the same varieties are involved (Cabernet, Merlot and Syrah) but considering the investment in engineering the Rom combined with the longer barrel aging (21 months for the Rom vs 16 for the Yiron) that certainly wouldn't be fair (IMHO).

I was comparing purely based on QPR. If you want to compare the Rom to a blend, I think the Katzrin is infinitely better than the Rom but also ridiculously expensive. At least it can justify its price though.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Previous

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum