Forum changes now in effect

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Forum changes now in effect

Postby Robin Garr » Wed May 23, 2012 2:08 pm

Subject, of course, to the continued wisdom of this community. What say you? Is everyone good with the changes, or is tweaking necessary? Again, if there's debate, please find a consensus among yourselves and report what it is. Thanks!
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Re: Forum changes now in effect

Postby Isaac Chavel » Wed May 23, 2012 2:15 pm

I'm good with it.
Isaac Chavel
Ultra geek

Postby Pinchas L » Wed May 23, 2012 2:44 pm

Hi Robin,

My suggestion is to modify the bylines so that they conform stylistically to those of the other forums, eliminating some redundant verbiage. I recommend changing the byline for the wine forum to read "Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing on wines that are either kosher or Israeli." Whereas, the byline for the culinary forum should perhaps state "Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss all things related to kosher or Israeli food and dining.

Best,
-> Pinchas
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby Robin Garr » Wed May 23, 2012 3:02 pm

Pinchas L wrote:Hi Robin,

My suggestion is to modify the bylines so that they conform stylistically to those of the other forums, eliminating some redundant verbiage. I recommend changing the byline for the wine forum to read "Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing on wines that are either kosher or Israeli." Whereas, the byline for the culinary forum should perhaps state "Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss all things related to kosher or Israeli food and dining.

Best,
-> Pinchas

You are a good editor, Pinchas. I'll wait a few moments to make sure someone else doesn't want to enter the discussion, but I'm inclined to Just Do This. Thanks!
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Wed May 23, 2012 3:18 pm

Agreed
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Pinchas L » Wed May 23, 2012 3:21 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Pinchas L wrote:Hi Robin,

Best,
-> Pinchas

You are a good editor, Pinchas. I'll wait a few moments to make sure someone else doesn't want to enter the discussion, but I'm inclined to Just Do This. Thanks!

Robin,

And you compliment well, displaying a skill more important than, and not as common as, editing.

-> Pinchas
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby Yehoshua Werth » Wed May 23, 2012 3:34 pm

OK with it..

and thank you for the work you do on this site for US.
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
Yehoshua Werth
Wine guru

Postby David Raccah » Wed May 23, 2012 4:02 pm

It is great to see democracy at work. Now we need to find ways to grow and come together as a forum with a single vision of being the place for discussions pertaining to the Israeli and kosher wine scene.

Thanks robin,
David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Robin Garr » Wed May 23, 2012 4:22 pm

One last subtlety ... shall we say "focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli"? It's always nice to allow a bit of ambiguity so we can make exceptions. ;)
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Postby Isaac C » Wed May 23, 2012 4:33 pm

Robin Garr wrote:One last subtlety ... shall we say "focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli"? It's always nice to allow a bit of ambiguity so we can make exceptions. ;)

Yes
Isaac C
Ultra geek

Postby Jonathan K » Wed May 23, 2012 4:35 pm

Robin Garr wrote:One last subtlety ... shall we say "focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli"? It's always nice to allow a bit of ambiguity so we can make exceptions. ;)

ABSOLUTELY!! IF for no other reason than that Israeli/Kosher wines do not exist in a vacuum.
Jonathan K
Ultra geek

Postby Yehoshua Werth » Wed May 23, 2012 4:38 pm

Well..

I like to Vacuum up as much as I can get ;)

well slowly that is!!
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
Yehoshua Werth
Wine guru

Postby Pinchas L » Wed May 23, 2012 4:57 pm

Robin,

Count me with those that are for inclusiveness.

-> Pinchas
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Wed May 23, 2012 5:27 pm

I support Robin and Pinchas too, and yes, thank you Robin for all your hard work and for welcoming us here, much appreciated (I believe I'm not taking much risk by saying "us" here...).
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Postby Harry J » Wed May 23, 2012 5:56 pm

i vote yes also. h
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Alexander F » Wed May 23, 2012 6:53 pm

Yes, please add "primarily". I'm not used yet to the new title, but OK with it.
Alexander F
Ultra geek

Postby YoelA » Thu May 24, 2012 12:16 am

Let's put it this way.

With Rogov gone, I'm not sure if there's anyone else on whom I/we can rely to provide informed comments about non-kosher wines. So I don't expect any major, or even minor, discussions of them. Of course, I could be wrong.

However, some of us drink both kosher and non-kosher wines, and are likely to post comments in Harry's weekly thread about them. Unless we choose not to.
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Thu May 24, 2012 4:14 am

YoelA wrote:However, some of us drink both kosher and non-kosher wines, and are likely to post comments in Harry's weekly thread about them. Unless we choose not to.

Please keep posting about them Yoel, IMHO it's one of the main reasons that make this forum interesting.

Thanks!

GG
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Postby Adam M » Thu May 24, 2012 9:54 am

Robin - I like your "subtle" suggestion. I would also consider applying it to the food forum, as it is very difficult if not impossible to define "Israeli" food these days
Adam M
Wine guru

Postby Robin Garr » Thu May 24, 2012 10:27 am

Adam M wrote:Robin - I like your "subtle" suggestion. I would also consider applying it to the food forum, as it is very difficult if not impossible to define "Israeli" food these days

Adam, fair point. I think we should leave the title of the food forum alone, simply to maintain consistency with the "Israeli and Kosher" form across both forums. But I made a small effort to reword the description of the other forum, like this:

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss all things related to kosher food and dining around the world and the dining scene in Israel.

Does that suit everyone? We probably don't need to over-analyze this, but as long as we're making a change, we might as well ensure that we're all on the same page.
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Postby Adam M » Thu May 24, 2012 10:30 am

Hi Robin - Nice tweak.
Adam M
Wine guru

Postby Pinchas L » Thu May 24, 2012 10:57 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Adam M wrote:Robin - I like your "subtle" suggestion. I would also consider applying it to the food forum, as it is very difficult if not impossible to define "Israeli" food these days

Adam, fair point. I think we should leave the title of the food forum alone, simply to maintain consistency with the "Israeli and Kosher" form across both forums. But I made a small effort to reword the description of the other forum, like this:

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss all things related to kosher food and dining around the world and the dining scene in Israel.

Does that suit everyone? We probably don't need to over-analyze this, but as long as we're making a change, we might as well ensure that we're all on the same page.

Hi Robin,

I hope you don't mind my suggestions, but here is another one that I think captures the spirit of the points you're making, while improving the syntax.

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss all things related to kosher food, with an eye on the global dining scene and a hawk's eye on the one in Israel.

-> Pinchas
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby Robin Garr » Thu May 24, 2012 11:45 am

Pinchas L wrote:Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss all things related to kosher food, with an eye on the global dining scene and a hawk's eye on the one in Israel.

I don't hate it, Pinchas. ;) As a writer, I do like colorful metaphors, and the hawk's eye is a good one. But my instinct is that you're leading us to be more specific than we need to be. I like keeping these forum descriptions as simple and as broad as possible, so we don't restrain ourselves from letting actual practice take the forum conversations to their natural place.
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Postby Pinchas L » Thu May 24, 2012 12:21 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Pinchas L wrote:Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss all things related to kosher food, with an eye on the global dining scene and a hawk's eye on the one in Israel.

I don't hate it, Pinchas. ;) As a writer, I do like colorful metaphors, and the hawk's eye is a good one. But my instinct is that you're leading us to be more specific than we need to be. I like keeping these forum descriptions as simple and as broad as possible, so we don't restrain ourselves from letting actual practice take the forum conversations to their natural place.

Robin,

Then following your guidelines how about:

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss all things related to kosher food and the dining scenes in Israel and abroad.

alternatively,

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss all things related to kosher food and the global and Israeli dining scenes.

or,

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss all things related to kosher food, commenting on the global and Israeli dining scenes.

What bothers me in the original form are the redundant "dining", and the too frequent "and".

Best,
-> Pinchas
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Next

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum