Yarden Viogner Deal

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Yarden Viogner Deal

Postby Isaac C » Thu May 10, 2012 11:47 am

Varietal is having a really big sale on the Yarden Viogner, as low as $8.99 if you purchase 3 cases. Anyone tasted this recently and have an idea what the drinking window is?

http://www.varietal.us/eCampaign/campaign1128.html
Isaac C
Ultra geek

Re: Yarden Viogner Deal- 2006 vintage

Postby Craig Winchell » Thu May 10, 2012 5:19 pm

2006 vintage. If it were drinking well, I'd go for it myself, since Agua Dulce doesn't make any white wines of any note (Just Chard, and not kosher until 2011 vintage, now in barrel). $324 for 36 bottles seems very reasonable. So I am also interested in how it's drinking now, and what people perceive as the drinking window.

the first thing I notice is that this is a dealtime deal, limited time frame. We do things like that ourselves at Agua Dulce. There are several reason for a retailer to go that direction:
1) Wine is getting old, Yarden wants to liquidate, arranged a great deal for this retailer specifically to do this, or Yarden offered great deal to the retailer who wants to limit the effect on discounted prices on future vintages, or a host of other reasons having to do to oversupply and liquidation

2) Retailer wants to ascertain who the players are who can absorb good deals, for the future when they might want to offer great deals on wine to the players, without making such prices public.

3)Retailer wants to develop an internet/mail order business by starting with a bang.

4) Retailer wants to start a wine club business and will use this opportunity to select for consumers to be wine club members, then try to sell them on the monthly/quarterly wine club while they are concluding this sale opportunity

Or a host of other potential reasons
Craig Winchell
Wine guru

Re: Yarden Viogner Deal

Postby ChaimShraga » Thu May 10, 2012 5:56 pm

Say what? Someone wants to take a chance on 6 year old Viognier?
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
ChaimShraga
Wine guru

Postby Yehoshua Werth » Thu May 10, 2012 6:23 pm

Some of the 07's are very good some are ok.

Have not had the 06' this year
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
Yehoshua Werth
Wine guru

Postby Craig Winchell » Thu May 10, 2012 6:47 pm

Admittedly on the old side for Viognier, but potentially still viable, depending upon starting conditions.
Craig Winchell
Wine guru

Postby Jonathan K » Thu May 10, 2012 7:02 pm

ChaimShraga wrote:Say what? Someone wants to take a chance on 6 year old Viognier?

That's what I was thinking. Unless it is Condrieu, I wouldn't buy a 2006 Viognier in bulk, unless I had tasted it very recently and was about to entertain a large party.
Jonathan K
Ultra geek

Postby Yehoshua Werth » Thu May 10, 2012 7:14 pm

Better than store bought cooking wine even if it is over the edge
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
Monsey, NY USA
Yehoshua Werth
Wine guru

Postby Craig Winchell » Thu May 10, 2012 7:17 pm

"Now with six years of age it has developed into a beautiful mature Golden Meursault like wine with freshly bake apple pie and toasty biscuits characters.
Wow this is impressive for an Israeli Viognier!!!"

That's their description, and not exactly a Viognier description, but definitely not like an old, oxidized wine. So figure that at 6 years, it's lost much of its fresh fruitiness. I really don't mind that as long as it's clean, nice golden rather than brown or piss-colored-golden, and has the characteristics as described. At $9/bottle, it doesn't need to be a perfect wine, just enjoyable. And it certainly doesn't need to be new-wine-fruity.
Craig Winchell
Wine guru

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Thu May 10, 2012 7:57 pm

I last had the wine 18 months ago and it was very much on its last legs at the time. Probably worth the risk for a bottle or two, not 36...
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Craig Winchell » Thu May 10, 2012 8:53 pm

Well, Yossie, that's the answer then. In that case, unless they already held an enormous position in that wine, they are probably front-men for Yarden to liquidate the last of their over-the-hill wine. And might be able to do it, too, because most kosher-keepers are not particularly wine-savvy, but are drawn to a bargain. Of course, they must also figure that many of those will cease their relationship with Varietal once they see that the wine is not even worth the discounted price. If they taste wine in the store, there might be particular advantages to walk-in customers.
Craig Winchell
Wine guru

Postby Craig Winchell » Thu May 10, 2012 11:14 pm

So how are the 2007 vintage Yarden Viogniers doing now? Yehoshua said earlier some are good, some are not. Is that Yarden, or all Israeli Viogniers? How specifically is the 2007 drinking now?
Craig Winchell
Wine guru

Postby Joel D Parker » Fri May 11, 2012 2:24 am

Yehoshua Werth wrote:Better than store bought cooking wine even if it is over the edge

I respectfully disagree in this case. If you're going to cook with cheap wine make sure it's at least got acid. There's nothing that will dull your cooking like a non-acidic wine, which is generally what gets lost over the years. I would rather cook with 2buck chuck that's got zing than 9 dollar alcoholic butter-water just because it's got the Yarden label. Plus, unless you're cooking for a family of 15, you're not going to get through three cases any time soon.

Best,

Joel
Joel D Parker
Wine guru

Postby Isaac Chavel » Fri May 11, 2012 10:52 am

Yehoshua Werth wrote:Better than store bought cooking wine even if it is over the edge

I respectfully disagree in this case. If you're going to cook with cheap wine make sure it's at least got acid. There's nothing that will dull your cooking like a non-acidic wine, which is generally what gets lost over the years. I would rather cook with 2buck chuck that's got zing than 9 dollar alcoholic butter-water just because it's got the Yarden label. Plus, unless you're cooking for a family of 15, you're not going to get through three cases any time soon.

8)
Isaac Chavel
Wine guru

Postby Alexander F » Fri May 11, 2012 7:08 pm

Craig Winchell wrote:So how are the 2007 vintage Yarden Viogniers doing now? Yehoshua said earlier some are good, some are not. Is that Yarden, or all Israeli Viogniers? How specifically is the 2007 drinking now?

Last summer it already started showing signs of petrolium. IMHO, 15.5%AbV made it a bit heavy, although alcohol was well integrated.
Alexander F
Ultra geek

Postby Lior Yogev » Fri May 11, 2012 8:26 pm

Sorry that I don't have the time to read the entire thread and perhaps I repeat other comments, but my two cents nonetheless:

From my limited experience, there are no crazy prices in wine. If something is too cheap - there is a very good reason for it

For the case in question, this is:
A wine originally not meant for aging, at the age of six
In my taste, a wine dominated by the oak
The price is not THAT attractive even for a new vintage (I think it is ~13$ in Israel)

This looks like a clear case of a shop being stuck with a large inventory of a non-popular wine (both because the variety is less known and popular and because IMHO it's not an attractive wine to start with) that approaches or exceeds its drinking window.

Lior
Lior Yogev
Wine guru

Postby Daniel Kovnat » Sat May 12, 2012 5:37 am

Cost of Yarden Viognier at the winery is more like 70 shekels (equivalent of about $19).
Just not meant for aging six years, even in the most rigidly controlled wine cellar.
Come on over to read about my experience tasting wines produced in Israel at http://www.israelwinetaster.com
Daniel Kovnat
Ultra geek

Postby Lior Yogev » Sat May 12, 2012 12:39 pm

The wineries (in Israel) are usually the most expansive option for buying the wines. At winedepot it is under 52NIS (but an older vintage as well)

Lior
Lior Yogev
Wine guru

Postby ChaimShraga » Sat May 12, 2012 2:29 pm

Time to sum up how it looks from my end. Not a terrific wine in the first place, made of a variety not meant for aging, sold a few years past its peak at suspicious prices. And we just devoted 16 posts to this (17, including mine). :mrgreen:
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
ChaimShraga
Wine guru

Postby Yehoshua Werth » Sun May 13, 2012 4:00 pm

Isaac Chavel wrote:

8)

The Bottle I drank(2007) 3 weeks ago still had a little acid and the Fruit was solid.. Just NOT what a Fresh one would be.
Love be with your day...

ever tasted some of the Grocery store bought cooking wine? The reason groceries can sell it at all is the fact they deem it not fit for drinking :)
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
Monsey, NY USA
Yehoshua Werth
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sun May 13, 2012 4:18 pm

Yehoshua Werth wrote:Some of the 07's are very good some are ok.

I still have some bottles left of that stuff, I'll open one later this week and will report back.
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Sam M » Mon May 14, 2012 10:57 pm

I had this wine Friday night. It was very good. crisp and lively.
Sam
Sam M
Ultra geek

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Tue May 15, 2012 12:48 pm

Sam - are you referring to the 2006 or the 2007?
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Sam M » Tue May 15, 2012 1:33 pm

Yossie,
The 2006. I thought it was more than fine. Actually their description of the wine is right on.
I bought a case. I'll use it over the summer so I'm not worried about longevity.
Sam
Sam M
Ultra geek

Postby Bill Coleman » Wed May 23, 2012 2:19 am

Isaac C wrote:Varietal is having a really big sale on the Yarden Viogner, as low as $8.99 if you purchase 3 cases. Anyone tasted this recently and have an idea what the drinking window is?

http://www.varietal.us/eCampaign/campaign1128.html

Oh, dear! Just opened a bottle [2006], looks like apple juice, tastes awful. Poured it back for cooking wine, but I'm not sure that's going to fly.
Bill Coleman
Ultra geek

Next

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum