A beautiful morning started at the Gvaot Winery

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

A beautiful morning started at the Gvaot Winery

Postby Gabriel Geller » Mon May 07, 2012 9:50 am

Hello,

My business partner Chalom and myself were hosted this morning at the Gvaot Winery (our first visit ever there) by Shivi Drori the head winemaker and Eliav Miller, the marketing manager, and were delighted by the beautiful surroundings of the hills (in hebrew: gvaot) of Samaria , one of the main wine-growing regions of Israel. This was followed by a nice breakfast composed of a cheese platter, fresh bread, crackers, green olives and home-made olive oil to close the tasting.

We had the pleasure to taste an re-taste a bunch of their great wines, all excellent to outstanding IMHO.

Gvaot Gofna Chardonnay-Cabernet Sauvignon 2011: Once again this year, a blend of 80% Chardonnay and 20% Cabernet Sauvignon that has spent 6 months in oak barrels, giving it a nice toasty and buttery character. Shivi Drori the winemaker said it was a little too oaked and hiding the fruit but that it would change over the next 2 years. I, for whatever it's worth, didn't think it was too oaky but wait, who cares what I think? :lol: Anyway, while I didn't really like the previous vintage of this wine, I personally liked this one very much, it was refreshing and nice, very pale, clean yellow in color, medium to full-bodied with on the nose toasted bread, green apples, fresh flowers, the toasted bread and apples showing also on the buttery palate with nice acidity and a bit of bitterness that I found quite pleasant on a moderately long finish. Shivi gives it potentially 4-5 years of cellaring, and I wouldn't say less! :wink:

Gvaot Gewürztraminer 2011: This very limited production of 550 bottles is made from one tiny single vineyard that you can see from the winery's building where sits the tasting room. I've posted already something on this wine a few weeks as we were then already given a sampler bottle, this wine should be released very soon although I don't know what's the exact date. I'm simply pasting my previous TN: a Gewurtzraminer very well crafted but definitely dry, medium-bodied and very pale in color with on the nose and palate citrus and floral notes and in excellent balance with acidity and good minerality there as well. Reminded me of an excellent one from Alsace I had a few years ago.

Gvaot Gofna Pinot Noir 2010: Have I waited for this wine! I was told that this should be released in about 3 weeks. Blended with 10% Merlot, a beautiful dark ruby, medium to full-bodied wine with on the nose red cherries, red currants and floral notes, these showing also on the palate with a bit of oak and nice, mouth-coating tannins on a long finish. A great Pinot Noir and as far as goes my (fairly poor) experience with kosher PN from Burgundy, one of the closest Israeli PN to the "original". Nice!

Gvaot Herodion Vineyard's Dance 2010: I love this wine and sipping it at this right moment with sun-dried tomatoes bread (Teller in Machanei Yehuda) and cream cheese... Dark garnet toward ruby, full-bodied with on the nose and palate black and raspberries, as well as cedar box and some notes of black currants, nice bracing and well balanced acidity, notes of vanilla rising with silky tannins on the very long finish. A great and elegant Bordeaux-blend.

Gvaot Merlot (blending component) 2010: Wow nice! This was a barrel tasting of one of the blending components of the winery's flagship wine, Masada, and would a great varietal wine on its own. Actually it reminded me a bit of the GHW Yarden Merlot Odem '06 which is one of my favorite Merlots and was ready for drinking, full-bodied with a nose packed with ripe, almost jammy raspberries, showing on the palate as well with blackberries and dark chocolate on the long mouth-filling finish. A treat.

Gvaot Petit Verdot (blending component) 2010: Also a barrel tasting component of the future Masada '10, a typical PV color of dark purple, medium to full-bodied with on the nose and palate black cherries and earthy green notes, these present also on the palate with some Mediterranean herbs on the moderately long and tannic finish. A bit flat and while I'm no winemaker at all, I believe also this should probably do a fine blending agent but not a very interesting varietal wine.

Gvaot Gofna Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 2010: An advance tasting as the wine should be released soon. Dark garnet toward purple, full-bodied with on the nose and palate ripe black currants and blackberries, with some hint of sweetness on the mid-palate, mouth-coating tannins and a hint of spiciness and notes of sweet oak rising on the long finish. A bit too young but I assume this will be a great wine in 10-12 months.

Overall we had a great time and if Shivi and/or Eliav or even Amnon Weiss ever happen to come across this post, thanks and kudos!

Best,

GG
Attachments
PNGT2.JPG
The Pinot Noir (left) and Gewurztraminer Vineyards
PNGT2.JPG (53.01 KiB) Viewed 913 times
Last edited by Gabriel Geller on Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Re: A beautiful morning started at the Gvaot Winery

Postby Alek W » Mon May 07, 2012 11:31 am

Unfortunately, Gvaot provides one the best illustrations to the thesis that Israeli wines are overpriced...
Alek W
Ultra geek

Postby Stacey B » Mon May 07, 2012 12:01 pm

Gvaot's prices would likely normalize if they had better export distribution. Their wines are excellent and we will continue to smuggle them in.
Stacey B
Wine geek

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Mon May 07, 2012 12:15 pm

While I am a huge fan of Gvaot (see my recent newsletter on the winery and wines http://www.yossiescorkboard.com/?page_id=1452) and, like Stacey, have them brought in on my own, the wines are relatively expensive in Israel as well and given the pricing philosophy of the winery and the relatively low production levels, I wouldn't anticipate a significant reduction is price even when they do finalize new import arrangements. I have discussed the matter with them many times in the past and don't see them making the wines available in the US at a competitive price point unless something drastic happens. That said - great wines that I love and will continue to buy on my own in Israel.
Last edited by Yossie Horwitz on Mon May 07, 2012 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Mon May 07, 2012 12:15 pm

Alek W wrote:Unfortunately, Gvaot provides one the best illustrations to the thesis that Israeli wines are overpriced...

I tend to agree with your affirmation Alek regarding some of their wines while many are normally priced while comparing with competitors such as Shiloh, Tania, Psagot and such. But as Stacey says, this would change if they improved their exportation and distribution to the US. I've discussed the matter with them several times and they said they are looking for solutions and ideas so if anyone here can think of something to help them with that I think he should not hesitate to contact them directly.
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Gedalya P » Sun May 13, 2012 7:56 am

While the price point in Israel causes customers to think a little longer to buy this wine, no one is disappointed after drinking it.
From Cellar 18 in Ramat Beit Shemesh
Gedalya P
Wine geek

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Tue May 15, 2012 12:45 pm

Agreed. While there are certainly other wines that offer a better QPR, the wines are delicious and worth trying. As to "worth it" - a completely subjective question...

For those interested, my recent write up about the winery is here: http://www.yossiescorkboard.com/?page_id=1452
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Thu May 24, 2012 4:17 am

David Rhodes wrote:good luck telling any Israeli winery especially a boutique...especially a kosher boutique winery to lower their prices in Israel or for export

You do make very good points here but don't be pessimistic, I've got actually some good reasons to hope that the pricing in the States might change in a good way for Gvaot in a not-so-distant future. I can't do much myself, but the little I can, I try. We shall see... or not.
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum