Still Counting/WeeksEnd wine

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Still Counting/WeeksEnd wine

Postby Harry J » Fri May 04, 2012 3:10 am

bsd
Sometimes we check how much has gone by.And sometimes we want to know how much lies ahead.
Perhaps when relating to time as important as it is to live in the now,we try to learn from whence we came and to where we dream of going.
Have a good one; h
Last edited by Harry J on Sun May 06, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harry J
Wine guru

Re: Still Counting

Postby Joshua London » Fri May 04, 2012 3:51 am

Hi Harry!

Been a long time. I hope and trust all is well! Your topic calls to mind a line from Evelyn Waugh's "Brideshead Revisited," where he has Lady Julia Flyte say, “Sometimes, I feel the past and the future pressing so hard on either side that there's no room for the present at all.”

At the risk of mixing too much trite sentiment all at once, it is always important to pause, take some perspective, and count one's blessing.

All week long I've been drinking the wines of Domaine Netofa -- both the red and white, and the Latour red (and for each both the 2009 and 2010 vintages) -- and chatting with their creator for an article. There are plenty of related lessons about time, memory, planning, and looking towards the future that are connected to that too. So much of life reverts back to faith of one sort or another...but I digress

This erev Shabbos we'll be enjoying a bottle of Carmel Mediterranean 2007. My most recent tasting note follows.

Have a great Shabbos!
Josh

Carmel Mediterranean 2007 ($65): a fantastic assemblage (37% Carignan, 26% Shiraz, 20% Petit Verdot, 15% Petite Sirah and 2% Viognier) in which each varietal plays its supporting role to create a long, rounded, balanced, beautiful symphony of aromas and flavors which include plums, raspberries, blackberries, cassis, juniper berries, black cherries, chocolate, white and green peppercorns, toasted oak and leather, supported by soft yet structured tannins (last tasted Feb 20, 2012).
Last edited by Joshua London on Fri May 04, 2012 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joshua London
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Fri May 04, 2012 8:51 am

Hi Harry, I wonder where do you find your inspiration... ;)

Having my own wine shop also has its down sides. Sometimes when I look for a specific wine for myself I have no choice but to try and find it at my competitors because older vintages are often not available anymore from the wineries/suppliers.
So when that occurs like today, and perhaps Yehoshua, Andrew or Gedalya know what I'm talking about, I usually feel kinda ripped off for paying the regular retail price... :lol:

With that said, I'm spending the weekend on the coast, in Netanya, and I know here of a few wine shops with prices on selected items that I defy anyone to find either in the Jerusalem or Tel Aviv areas (not worth the shlep though but if I'm there already...) so I also enjoyed again the pleasure of wine-shopping that I had almost began to forget and got my hands on 2 bottles of Carmel Petite Sirah '05 (I had only one bottle left in my private cellar), as well as bottles of Tzora Shoresh and Dalton Zinfandel, both '08, the latest will be enjoyed tonight and tomorrow as well and I'll happily report back as always. Again Harry, sorry we didn't get to catch up!

Shabbat Shalom!

GG
Last edited by Gabriel Geller on Sat May 05, 2012 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Yehoshua Werth » Fri May 04, 2012 3:49 pm

Love to you Harry...

Should be opening:
2007 Carmel Kayoumi Shiraz
Like this one very much.
and

Have open now for Shabbat:
2005 Judean Heights Cabernet Sauvignon
Think this one peeked.

Love be with you,
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
Yehoshua Werth
Wine guru

Postby YoelA » Fri May 04, 2012 4:04 pm

Tonight's plan is to drink 2006 Edie Brown meritage, made by the Cosentino winery in Napa Valley.
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby Andrew B » Fri May 04, 2012 6:00 pm

Hopefully will open the following bottles:
2010 Thenac Bergerac
2009 Castel C Chard
2009 Psagot Edom
2006 Balma Muscat Beaumes de Venise (sp?)
Andrew B
Wine guru

Postby Craig Winchell » Fri May 04, 2012 6:17 pm

I just swiped a Sierra Nevada Hoptimum 2012 Whole-Cone Imperial IPA from Gabe's stash in the winery cellar's refrigerator, and it is quite the tasty drink (Gabe's taken his bride and phinster, Sarah, up to commune with the Hajdus in Oakland over Shabbos). I think I'm gonna try to find more of this to turn my son on to on Shabbos. Or maybe I'll swipe Gabe's last 2 for us. Really, really great stuff, with bold full-spectrum resinous hoppiness over malty, rich base. Gabe claims residual sugar, and I don't doubt that there's plenty, but it tastes so dry due to that overwhelming bitterness. Beautiful aromatics. Gabe and Shimon, I will pay you back, promise!
Craig Winchell
Wine guru

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Fri May 04, 2012 6:19 pm

Planning on a Yaffo Carignan 2009 and Castel Grand Vin 2004. Depending on the weather, we may also crack one of my remaining Dalton Wild Yeast Viognier 2009 or a Recanati Special Reserve White.
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby David Raccah » Fri May 04, 2012 6:31 pm

I am tousling between the 2008 or 2009 Dalton Viognier and/or a katamon Chardonnay. Has anyone tasted the 2008 Lavan recently? CellarTracker says it is drink up time - that would surprise me - based on what I know of it?

Rogov had it dieing in 2016, I will leave that and open one of the three above. Rogov never tasted the Katamon Chard and the two Viogniers are drink now - so I will probably open the 2008.

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Andrew B » Fri May 04, 2012 6:37 pm

David Raccah wrote:I am tossling between the 2008 or 2009 Dalton Viognier and/or a katamon Chardonnay. Has anyone tasted the 2008 Lavan recently? CellarTracker says it is drink up time - that would surprise me - based on what I know of it?

David

I had it 3 weeks ago and it was just lovely. Go for it!
Andrew B
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sat May 05, 2012 2:50 pm

Andrew Breskin wrote:2009 Castel C Chard

Very curious to read your TN on this one, if or not one of the reduced bottles...

Harry, hope you enjoyed your shabbat in Israel!

This shabbat I enjoyed for both meals only one bottle of wine as it was just me and my folks enjoying a quiet weekend in Netanya. I now regret not having bought 2 bottles of this one, one just for me, the other for them...

Dalton, Zinfandel 2008: Mmmmmm delightful nose! Packed with black and blue fruit on this dark purple wine although not as black as described on the label. Anyway the blackberries and the blueberries are also generously showing on the palate with nice vanilla and sweet oak rising with soft, well-integrated tannins on a long, round and mouth-filling finish. Well-done Dalton! Gotta get some more bottles of this stuff! :P

Nice week coming ahead, I'm invited Monday morning for a private visit at the Gvaot Winery in Givat Harel, looking forward to taste a bunch of wines that have not yet been released, will report back! :D

A great week to all,

GG
Last edited by Gabriel Geller on Sat May 05, 2012 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Philip Aron » Sat May 05, 2012 3:55 pm

Hi Harry,

Carmel , Single Vineyard, Merlot, Shaal Vineyard 2009.

Easily one of the best wines I have had. Its all to do with the very strong minty character of this wine , expressed luxuriously in both aromas and taste. I would have been happy just sitting and whiffing the stuff, but I did end up drinking it, perhaps a little too much, rather like a book you cant put down. Price paid 115 N.I.S
Philip Aron
Wine guru

Postby Stacey B » Sat May 05, 2012 10:26 pm

Friday night: Hevron Heights Makpela 2005 still rich in chocolate flavor, enjoyable but believe this is its last year.
Psagot Cabernet franc 2010 Just plain perfect specimen of a cab franc ; fruit, spice and mild oak.
Shabbos day : Dalton Zinfandel 2007, delicious berry flavor and nice body - glad I saved some of these since we wont see the 08's here.
Chateau Malmaison Baronne Nadine de Rothschild 1999 found this in my cellar and decided to see if it was gone. Very soft and floral bouquet with very faint essence of fruit, plum in color enjoyable. Glad we did not wait any longer though.
Stacey B
Wine geek

Postby Isaac C » Sat May 05, 2012 11:45 pm

Galil Yiron 2007 - excellent and reliable!
Isaac C
Ultra geek

Postby Stephen Weil » Sun May 06, 2012 5:08 am

Dalton, Zinfandel 2008: Mmmmmm delightful nose! Packed with black and blue fruit on this dark purple wine although not as black as described on the label. Anyway the blackberries and the blueberries are also generously showing on the palate with nice vanilla and sweet oak rising with soft, well-integrated tannins on a long, round and mouth-filling finish. Well-done Dalton! Gotta get some more bottles of this stuff!

Gabi hi
I love this wine. Its full of spices pepper which is very distinct including mint which you dont mention?

I had a great bottle of Pinot from Ella Valley this shabbat
The weather and food made it taste like a million dollars

Steve
Stephen Weil
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sun May 06, 2012 7:22 am

Stephen Weil wrote:Dalton, Zinfandel 2008: Mmmmmm delightful nose! Packed with black and blue fruit on this dark purple wine although not as black as described on the label. Anyway the blackberries and the blueberries are also generously showing on the palate with nice vanilla and sweet oak rising with soft, well-integrated tannins on a long, round and mouth-filling finish. Well-done Dalton! Gotta get some more bottles of this stuff!

Gabi hi
I love this wine. Its full of spices pepper which is very distinct including mint which you dont mention?

I had a great bottle of Pinot from Ella Valley this shabbat
The weather and food made it taste like a million dollars

Hi Steve, I'm jealous! I've not had the chance yet to taste the EV's PN! As to the Dalton Zin, I did catch a bit of spice with some freshness on the mid-palate, I assume that's what you describe as mint. I really loved the wine and if I find another bottle I'll buy it (despite the "guilty" feeling of buying wine from a competitor...) and will be happy to retaste it in a more "professional" (with no food involved) manner. I'll sure let you know! :wink:

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Stephen Weil » Sun May 06, 2012 7:29 am

thanks
did you try the Scottish for more wine?
I am still drinking 07 so maybe a bit different
Shavua Tov
Stephen Weil
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sun May 06, 2012 8:24 am

Stephen Weil wrote:thanks
did you try the Scottish for more wine?
I am still drinking 07 so maybe a bit different
Shavua Tov

The Scottish are sold out on the Zin '08 and '09 and perhaps even already on the '10. I would of course order directly from them otherwise. Never had the '07. How does it compare to the '08 and have you had an opportunity to taste the '10 already?
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Isaac Chavel » Sun May 06, 2012 9:45 am

Hi, Harry, shavu'a tov,

2006 Recanati, Cabernet Sauvignon, Reserve: niiiiiiiiice :)
Isaac Chavel
Wine guru

Postby Bill Coleman » Sun May 06, 2012 1:30 pm

Shavuat California!

Friday night - 2007 Four Gates Cabernet Franc. Loved it!
Saturday - 2009 Covenant Lavan Chardonnay. I was disappointed at lunch, it was nothing special, but at havdalah it seemed creamier and richer.
Bill Coleman
Ultra geek

Postby Alek W » Sun May 06, 2012 4:53 pm

Friday night: Amphorae Merlot 2005 - very nice, comes close to the 2003 vintage which was the best for Amphorae;
Yarden Merlot Ortal 2001 - delicious! Alas, the last bottle.

Shabat lunch: Tulip Just Merlot 2010 - very good, not a bit worse than their CS;
Recanati Shiraz 2010 - best vintage in many years.
Alek W
Ultra geek

Postby Jonathan K » Sun May 06, 2012 7:18 pm

Andrew Breskin wrote:
David Raccah wrote:I am tossling between the 2008 or 2009 Dalton Viognier and/or a katamon Chardonnay. Has anyone tasted the 2008 Lavan recently? CellarTracker says it is drink up time - that would surprise me - based on what I know of it?

David

I had it 3 weeks ago and it was just lovely. Go for it!

I had the 2008 Lavan over Pesach. Drinking beautifully. Showing no signs of age. I would not classify it as drink up. WE opened the 2010 Lavan this weekend and I will give that one some more time.
Also, the 2009 Four Gates Cabernet Sauvignon Monte Bello Ridge Betchart Vineyard: Wonderful and changing aromatics with notes of clove, havdalah spices, leather, deli pastrami, and cotton candy.(Really!!). On the palate black cherry and currants in layers with firm but friendly tannins. Definitely a hit and probably better with more bottle age.
Shavua Tov!!
Jonathan K
Ultra geek

Re: Still Counting/WeeksEnd wine

Postby David Raccah » Mon May 07, 2012 2:12 am

I went with the 2010 Alma White - what a let down :( They totally screwed up a perfectly good Viognier and turned it into a mess.

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2012/05/06 ... d-chicken/

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Re: Still Counting/WeeksEnd wine

Postby Jon Tabak » Mon May 07, 2012 3:49 am

2005 Chateau Franc Malliet
2010 Capcanes Peraj Ha'abib Flor de Primavera
2007 Carmel Limited Edition
2011 Covenant RED C Sauvignon Blanc
http://www.KosherWino.com - Supporting your kosher wine habit
Jon Tabak
Ultra geek

Next