Yom Haatzmaut wines including Castel Rosé 2011

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Yom Haatzmaut wines including Castel Rosé 2011

Postby Gabriel Geller » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:29 pm

Opened a handful of great wines to pair with the traditional Yom Haatzmaut (the State of Israel's Independence Day) BBQ:

Domaine du Castel, Rosé 2011: OMG what a nose!!! I could also sit there and smell it for hours, I'm totally with Isaac C on this one! Light pink, not at all orange unlike the '09 was, the nose indeed bursting with passion fruit, mango and guava but the palate, although showing great flavors of strawberries, mango and peach as well as juicy pink grapefruit, was a bit disappointing compared to the nose. The palate starts a bit fizzy but then goes flat (in a good way) after ten minutes or so in the glass. A very good wine for the hot summer afternoons that shows very different and kinda more "serious" compared to its peers although reminded me a tiny bit of the Recanati.

Hevron Heights Isaac's Ram 2005: Very nice Cabernet Sauvignon that has aged very nicely though it's now at its peak and throwing sediment in large amounts so if you have bottles left I'd recommend to drink them up. Anyway dark garnet, full-bodied with black currants and licorice with oak and well integrated tannins on a long finish.

Tishbi Estate Cabernet Sauvignon 2007: Amazing QPR Bordeaux-blend as always, impressed my host a lot.

Psagot Edom 2009: Same remark here this is now showing as one of the most solid Bordeaux-blend that keeps improving every vintage. Excellent wine!

Dalton Alma Red Bordeaux-blend 2009: WOW! The '08 was great this one is AMAZING! Very very impressive! Dark garnet with purple at the rim, a nose bursting with ripe black fruit and chocolate, deeply extracted with black currants, blackberries, tar, cedar box, vanilla and dark chocolate rising with soft tannins on a round and very long mouth-filling finish. One of the very best wines I had in the past 6 months.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Re: Yom Haatzmaut wines including Castel Rosé 2011

Postby Isaac Chavel » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:32 pm

Hi, Gabriel, thanks for starting a thread for Yom Ha'atzma'ut.

Last night, after the chagiga (=party) at the synagogue, we opened a 2009 Livni Pinot Noir. Excellent, although I thought it was still too tight and the tanins too strong. I then saw Rogov's TN, which says optimal opening is 2013 forward. Tonight, at dinner, it opened a bit more.

Yom Ha'atzma'ut same'ach to all,

Isaac
Isaac Chavel
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum