To vacuum or not to vacuum? THAT is the question!

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

To vacuum or not to vacuum? THAT is the question!

Postby Gabriel Geller » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:08 am

Hi there!

Do you use a vacuum pump for your unfinished bottles of wine? If you don't, why? I know it's not necessarily the best way to preserve the wine but you don't always have an empty plastic bottle at hand and that looks so bad anyway...

I would love to revive this question that had already been discussed on this forum a while ago when Rogov was around.

Personally I usually use a vaccum pump but I never pump out all the air, only at 70% or so.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Re: To vacuum or not to vacuum? THAT is the question!

Postby Warren B » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:26 pm

Pesonally I don't try to preserve open wine. Most good wine will open and improve over a day or two. Why would you want to keep an open bottle longer? LeChaim! :D
Warren B
Wine geek

Postby Gary J » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:20 pm

Maybe it was the power of Rogov suggestion, but I found that (as Rogov suggested) the aromas were vacuumed out with whatever air was vacuumed out and the wine never tasted the same after being vacuumed.

These days if I don't have a half bottle around or a plastic bottle I will likely just pop the cork back in & stick it in the fridge. Though I heard the idea & like it (haven't tried it yet) of freezing the wine in ice cube trays to cook with it... :wink:
Wine Tasting Guy
http://winetastingguy.com/
Gary J
Ultra geek

Postby Isaac C » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:45 pm

I stopped vacuuming - I don't think it helped and it may have hurt the wines. If I am drinking within a day I usually keep it in the bottle, sometimes I transfer to the plastic bottle and squeeze out the air. If it is for more that a day or two I always try to put it in the plastic bottle and it has worked pretty well.
Isaac C
Ultra geek

Postby Andrew B » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:45 pm

There's a great video blog out there of Gary demonstrating wine preservation in a plastic bottle. Most wine bars or restaurants will use nitrogen to fill the bottles and slow the oxidation, but if it's for personal use, I find the vacuum to be ineffective, and will transfer into a smaller container and refrigerate.
Andrew B
Wine guru

Postby Mike BG » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:34 pm

I used to vacuum, almost religiously. However, I always wondered what was going on with the wine when you could smell such a rich aroma from the vacuum pump! After reading Rogov, I decided to stop. I never really keep wine for longer than a day, so I just put back the cork and put the bottle in the fridge. I have found it a far better method than the vacuum. I don't have the patience to pour it into a smaller plastic bottle and expel the air before closing ...
Mike BG
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:24 am

Well I anyway rarely have a bottle open for more than one or 2 days but I've not noticed so far any harm done to the wine by using my method however I don't store them in the fridge unless it's a white or a Pinot Noir.
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum