TN request: Castel Rose 2011

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

TN request: Castel Rose 2011

Postby Mike BG » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:38 pm

Has anyone tasted the newly released Castel Rose 2011? We greatly enjoyed the 2009 release.
Mike BG
Ultra geek

Re: TN request: Castel Rose 2011

Postby Isaac C » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:43 pm

I had it at the KFWE - my notes from that tasting: This wine was really good but what I enjoyed most about it was the amazing nose - I could just sit there and smell the wine for hours. To be honest, the mouth was a little disappointing after such an amazing nose but still a very enjoyable wine.
Isaac C
Ultra geek

Postby Andrew B » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:58 pm

I tasted it at the KFWE in LA and thought it was up there among "Best in Show"
Andrew B
Wine guru

Postby David Raccah » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:11 pm

My notes:

2011 Castel Rose – Score: A-
The wine is unique a real nice kosher rose that has more than just strawberry and nice fruit. This wine has complexity and concentration that belies it obvious youth. Clearly not a wine for cellaring but one that should be fine for a year or two, which is saying something for a kosher rose. The nose starts off with rich mineral, heavy attack of citrus, strawberry, raspberry, and nice cherry. The mouth is filling with good mineral, slate, bramble, and ripe red fruit.
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Isaac Chavel » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:54 pm

We greatly enjoyed the 2009 release.

I guess I am missing something. Just about all opinion here concurred on the 2009, but I was sorely disappointed when I drank it in the summer of 2010(?) shortly after its release. My problem wasn't that i do not enjoy rose, it was that this seemed thin, ... . Oh well. I guess that's what keeps life interesting.
Isaac Chavel
Wine guru

Postby David Raccah » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:10 pm

Indeed it was just released to the world - I am sure that Gabe will soon be carrying it at the store. Gary any idea how long it will take to get here? Also, will it be priced as high as the Flam Rose?

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Mike BG » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:25 pm

Isaac Chavel wrote:I guess I am missing something. Just about all opinion here concurred on the 2009, but I was sorely disappointed when I drank it in the summer of 2010(?) shortly after its release. My problem wasn't that i do not enjoy rose, it was that this seemed thin, ... . Oh well. I guess that's what keeps life interesting.

On the advice of the winery, we gave it plenty of time to open up. The flavours developed significantly over this time. It was far more noticeable than with other, even young wines.
Mike BG
Ultra geek

Postby Gary J » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:30 pm

David Raccah wrote:Gary any idea how long it will take to get here? Also, will it be priced as high as the Flam Rose?

David

I'm told that it has been ordered and should be here for the summer. Retail will be about $35 (give or take a few $ depending upon retailer).

Hope that helps...
Wine Tasting Guy
http://winetastingguy.com/
Gary J
Ultra geek

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:54 pm

The winery sent out an email offering a case of 12 for $300 (which including the ~$12 per bottle shipping comes out to about $35) and some stores are offering it for a bit less after discounts. A pricey Rose but really delicious (although not as "Provencal" as the 2009).
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:02 pm

David Raccah wrote:Indeed it was just released to the world - I am sure that Gabe will soon be carrying it at the store. Gary any idea how long it will take to get here? Also, will it be priced as high as the Flam Rose?
David

I am happy to say that I've succeeded in ordering 2 cases (24 bottles) of the Rosé du Castel 2011 (they usually limit it to 1 case for only a few selected shops) that will be delivered on Wednesday. I am sorry (well not so much... :lol: ) to say that both cases have been already pre-purchased by one sole customer tonight (except for 1 bottle that I keep for myself...).
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Warren B » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:35 pm

I am happy to say that I've succeeded in ordering 2 cases (24 bottles) of the Rosé du Castel 2011 (they usually limit it to 1 case for only a few selected shops) that will be delivered on Wednesday. I am sorry (well not so much... :lol: ) to say that both cases have been already pre-purchased by one sole customer tonight (except for 1 bottle that I keep for myself...).[/quote]

If you manage to find any more... please save one for me. Sounds like a good bottle for Shavuos lunch!
Warren B
Wine geek

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:10 pm

The winery is selling directly - I'd contact them directly.
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Bill Coleman » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:08 am

Andrew Breskin wrote:I tasted it at the KFWE in LA and thought it was up there among "Best in Show"

Dittos!
Bill Coleman
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:41 am

I'm holding in my hand a bottle of Rosé du Castel 2011 at this right instant... This time it's a blend of early-harvested Merlot, Malbec and Cabernet Franc. In other words very Castel-ish, a Rosé made of a Bordeaux-blend... 8) Abv is 13% and it was bottled in February 2012.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Stacey B » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:38 am

Can anyone compare the Castel Rose with the Bordeaux Rose "Le Rose de Clarke 2010"?
Thanks.
Stacey B
Wine geek

Postby David Raccah » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:56 pm

The Le Rose de Clarke was poor to bad (at best(, in my opinion, while the Rose du Castel was lovely. They are not even in the same ballpark let alone team. Scoring the Clarke, which I did not would be at best a B. Very acidic, harsh, unbalanced, and bitter. The Tavel is awesome from Royal, if looking for a French Rose, though very different AOC!

David
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:33 pm

Agreed with David on the Clarke - awful. While I am not as big a fan of the Tavel as David is, it's a really well made Rose with good fruit and plenty of acidity that provides a different palate profile than the usual Israeli suspects like Recanati and Galil Mountain. The Castel is a completely different story and easily the best kosher non-sparkling Rose available (and a contender even if the French Rose sparklers are included as they have recently been showing poorly).

My note for the 2011 Castel Rose below:

Domaine du Castel, Rose, 2011: Following on the great success of thier 2009 Rose, this year's version, while different than the 2009 vintage [resulting from a different wine making process], is truly delicious and provides the Israeli wine scene with something it has been lacking - a crisply dry and refreshing Rose with enough depth and complexity to make it more than a refreshing summer quaffer (although, price aside, it excels in that department as well). A blend of 60% Merlot, 20% Cabernet Franc and 20% Malbec (slightly unripe fruit that was cold-fermented). A rich nose of red fruit including strawberries, raspberries and red grapefruit with much of the same on the slightly viscous palate where some pleasing minerality creeps in, coupled with judicious acidity that keeps the fruit in check and makes for great food pairing, all leading into a lingering and slightly bitter finish. Tasted at KFWE, I am looking forward to tasting it again in Israel to experience the wine with no potential bottle or travel shock.
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Stacey B » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:41 pm

Since I have not had either yet, there goes my idea for a side by side comparison then. :(
Stacey B
Wine geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:42 pm

Does anyone here know how many bottles were produced this vintage?
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Gabriel Geller » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:39 am

Domaine du Castel, Rosé 2011: OMG what a nose!!! I could also sit there and smell it for hours, I'm totally with Isaac C on this one! Light pink, not at all orange unlike the '09 was, the nose indeed bursting with passion fruit, mango and guava but the palate, although showing great flavors of strawberries, mango and peach as well as juicy pink grapefruit, was a bit disappointing compared to the nose. The palate starts a bit fizzy but then goes flat (in a good way) after ten minutes or so in the glass. A very good wine for the hot summer afternoons that shows very different and kinda more "serious" compared to its peers although reminded me a tiny bit of the Recanati.
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Rafael Joseph » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:49 pm

Tasted one of these at my local wine store and bought a bottle instantly for Seder night. Bought another for Shabbat just gone.

Excellent taste, easy drinking and really nice smelling wine. I didn't think I'd be into Rose but wow was this a treat. Can't wait to have it again.

Retail in UK roughly £23
Rafael Joseph
Cellar rat

Postby Joel D Parker » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:24 am

I'm glad to hear they've gone for a dryer style this time, as the last time (09), I enjoyed the aromatics but found it to be too heavy and sticky for my tastes.

Has anyone tried the ***Shvo Rosé of 2010? (http://www.winedepot.co.il/default.asp? ... uctID=2409) It's slightly cheaper, and from my experience it was even better than the Castel--at least that was the case two summers ago. It's a Southern Rhone blend with mainly Barbara grapes, and actually reminds me of the Tavel style a lot, very elegant, complex and subdued.

The winemaker, Gaby Sedan, generated a lot of buzz a couple of years ago (viewtopic.php?f=29&t=33267) and seems to be a hot topic among those of us here in Israel who generally avoid Israeli wines. His Sauvignon Blanc is near impossible to find, and I've heard it's quite good for an Israeli white. Sedan is known for using all natural yeasts and avoiding acidification as much as possible in our hot climate, and I think tends to go towards the organic/biodynamic side of things, even if his wines aren't labeled as such.

I'm hoping he'll produce a 2011 rosé so I can try it side by side with the Castel and Flam. (They should all be different given that they use different grapes)

***I THINK SHVO IS KOSHER, BUT DON'T KNOW FOR SURE, SO CHECK FIRST IF YOU'RE SHOMER-K.

Best,

Joel
Joel D Parker
Wine guru

Postby Yehoshua Werth » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:13 pm

Very cool info..
On thought..
Your comment about people in Israel not drinking or avoiding Israel Wine yet this one seems good.. Hmmm
The worlds critics take them for what you will seem to have a very clear landscape view of Israel Wine'"Getting better and better."

Ummm since we are talking White wine...

How about:
Recanati's Reserve White
Tishbi Reserve Chardonnay
Hevron Heights Elone Mamre'
Dalton Wild yeast Vionier
Gush Etzion Sauvignon Blanc
Odem Mountain Chardonnay for those who like the fruit bombs
Flam Blanc
Yarden Blanc De Blancs
Yatir Vionier

so many more.. That I think are better than good

Blush.. Recanati Rose

So many more yet waiting your thoughts..
Love be with your day,
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
Yehoshua Werth
Wine guru

Postby Isaac Chavel » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:04 pm

Last I heard --- on this forum --- is that Dalton will not produce a wild yeast viognier after the 2009. :(
Isaac Chavel
Wine guru

Next

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum