TN: Gat Shomron Petit Verdot 2009

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

TN: Gat Shomron Petit Verdot 2009

Postby Gabriel Geller » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:02 am

Tasting today one of the very few wines labeled "Petit Verdot" in Israel, the wine being in fact a blend of 80% Petit Verdot and 20% Cabernet Sauvignon (according to Israeli law a wine actually requires at least 85% of the main grape type in the blend to be labelled after it). The wine was 14 months in French oak barrels.

Gat Shomron, Petit Verdot 2009: Very dark garnet with some purple reflections (depending on the light! :lol: ) with ripe plums and backer's chocolate screaming on the nose, followed on the palate by ripe plums, blackcurrants, nice acidity, sweet oak and backer's chocolate rising on the finish with soft and round tannins. Very pleasant but some might not like the light sweetness on the finish.

Has anyone else here tasted it? Thoughts?

Best and shabbat shalom to all,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Re: TN: Gat Shomron Petit Verdot 2009

Postby Josh Patt » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:29 pm

I had this wine on Passover (complements of the winemaker who I met over the holiday). I didn't make any tasting notes, but your note is similar to what I remember - plums and berries with gentle oak and a note of bittersweet chocolate on the finish. Relatively high acidity, but that's expected for PV.

I also noticed that it's less than the 85% required for a varietal wine, but Petit Verdot is dominant at 80%. It needs the 20% Cabernet to give it balance.

Petit Verdot is showing a lot of promise in Israel, but I think it really needs to be blended with other grapes. It's going to be hard to achieve good balance with 85+% PV.

Josh
Josh Patt
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:56 pm

Josh Patt wrote:Petit Verdot is showing a lot of promise in Israel, but I think it really needs to be blended with other grapes. It's going to be hard to achieve good balance with 85+% PV.

Hi Josh (thanks, your remark reminds me that I need to call Avigdor tomorrow), not necessarily as Yatir and Ramot Naftali also made a varietal Petit Verdot (and in those cases with 85%+ of it) and both wines are also excellent, my favorite being the Ramot Naftali. Rogov z.l. but also Yossie Horwitz as well as other forumites are very fond of the Yatir.
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Yehoshua Werth » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:02 pm

Petite Verdot will be out From Gush Etzion in the Rosh Hashana Time.. and it is Yummy :)

Tasted Barrel sample.. will be waiting for the bottle aged thing to happen :)
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
Yehoshua Werth
Wine guru

Postby David Raccah » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:03 am

Yehoshua Werth wrote:Petite Verdot will be out From Gush Etzion in the Rosh Hashana Time.. and it is Yummy :)

Tasted Barrel sample.. will be waiting for the bottle aged thing to happen :)

Yehoshua - did this wine ever show up - or did it stay in Israel?
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum