Rogov Brandy purchase

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Rogov Brandy purchase

Postby Gabriel Geller » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:33 am

Hi Folks,

Upon a fellow forumite's request, I will be, God Willing, going tomorrow to Carmel Winery-Zichron Yaakov to purchase bottles of the Rogov's Brandy. If you are interested in purchasing one, you may PM or email me at anytime today.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Re: Rogov Brandy purchase

Postby Adam M » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:36 am

Hi Gabriel - Thanks for the generous offer. If it is possible to clarify:

(i) how much will a bottle cost?
(ii) once you purchase the bottle, presumably you wil bring it back to your store in Jerusalem for pick up by a customer?
(iii) can a non-Israeli manage to obtain one of these bottles, as a logistical matter?

Presumably, you are doing this as a favor to fellow forumites, which is very much appreciated!

Best,
Adam
Adam M
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:58 am

Adam, thanks. I will be happy to answer such questions through PM or emails.

But indeed, as the Rogov Brandy is available for purchase at the Zichron Yaakov's shop exclusively, I'm happy to serve as an intermediary for anyone here that might be interested.
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Gabriel Geller » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:50 pm

Adam Montefiore told me that since only 300 bottles were made it is sold at the same price to anyone, private and retailers alike, but exclusively at the shop in Zichron.
As I will be spending the weekend nearby I just thought it could be a good opportunity to visit the Zichron's winery and get a few bottles as my last visit there was quite a few years back.
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Mark Lieser » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:00 pm

Back in March I managed to prevail upon my wife and convince her to "allow" me to buy a bottle of the Rogov brandy off of Gabriel at his store. I have since been told by an array of people that I would be crazy to open it. Ever.

Well, my oldest daughter got married this week, and as I planned all along, I opened the bottle at sheva brachot the day after the wedding. I will admit that I was very selective as to whom I offered it - it's simply too expensive to let just anyone taste.

I am far more versed in scotch than brandy, but I have to thank Gabriel for offering me the bottle. This stuff is outstanding. That was the uniform opinion of the tasters - most of whom had more brandy "experience" than I. Smooth/exceptional. I figured that those of you who plan to save the unopened bottle for posterity should at least know that!

And for those who still think I was nuts to open it - if saving a bottle of expensive brandy is more important than celebrating my daughter's marriage, then I couldn't consider myself much of a father.

Shabbat shalom,

Mark Lieser
Mark Lieser
Ultra geek

Postby Mike_F » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:09 pm

Mark Lieser wrote:And for those who still think I was nuts to open it - if saving a bottle of expensive brandy is more important than celebrating my daughter's marriage, then I couldn't consider myself much of a father.

Well Mark, Good on you! Rogov z"l would have heartily approved of this attitude.

I must admit I have a hard time understanding anybody who would buy a bottle of brandy (or any other fine beverage) and plan to never open it...

Mazal tov on the marriage of your daughter.

Mike
Of course we must be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.”
Richard Dawkins
Mike_F
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:34 pm

Mark, mazal tov again! I'm really happy that you liked it.

Personally, I have not tasted the Rogov Brandy and I've not purchased a bottle for myself thinking back then that it would be too expensive for me to afford it. While the latest hasn't really changed, I sort of regret that decision. Having said that, I don't know whether or not there are any bottles left at the winery but will inquire with Adam Montefiore. I did taste the Carmel 120 brandy, which is so I was told the more or less similar to the Rogov's and I found it incredible and undoubtedly the best brandy I have ever tasted. I have no experience at all with non-kosher brandy yet I have enjoyed many times the best kosher Cognac such as Dupuy and Louis Royer XO as well as the outrageously expensive Tishbi brandy and these are nowhere as good as the Carmel IMHO! As 'little' as I am, I can but but only second Rogov's score of 95.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum