First it is after purim, and I barely prayed marriv (evening prayers with any concentration). Anyway, these are my wines:
1) 2010 Barkan Pinor Noir - not a single person, drunk or even tipsy could like this wine. I started with it and it failed on all accounts.
2) 2006 Hagafen Merlot - OK that is the best that could be said
3) 2005 Ella Valley Merlot (NOT VC) - truly to me it is time to drink up and it was good. To be fair some liked this and some did not. It went up against some four gates merlot and I think did well, but other thought differently. Hey this i purim and I am having a hard time writing this now. In the end, a fine with blackberry, clear chocolate covered cherry and blackberry, along with good tobacco and green notes. The mouth has enough stuffing to keep your attention along with still mouth coating tannin and raspberry. The finish is long and lovely with cedar, tobacco, and vanilla. DRINK UP!!
4) 2007 Gus Etzion Cab Franc - B+ to A-
The nose on this impenetrable black colored wine is screaming with tobacco, chocolate, rich sweet cedar, licorice, herbs, spice, plum, cassis, raspberry, and blackcurrant. The mouth on this medium to full bodied wine is rich and concentrated with lovely plum, cassis, blackcurrant, soft and mouth coating tannin, crushed herbs, and spice. The mid palate is the weak link with medium acid, spice, cedar, tobacco, and nice tannin. The finish is long and spicy with rich chocolate, herbs, tobacco, spice, cassis, blackcurrant, and vanilla. The wine is in drink now mode, it is throwing sediment, and ready to enjoy. Drink up!!!!
5) 2008 borgo reale primitivo salento - Score: b+
Mounds of floral notes, backed by blackberry, plum, date, and chocolate covered cherry. the mouth is medium body with cooked fruit, and prune. The finish is long and spicy with lots of black pepper, cloves and vanilla from 8 months in wood.
6) 2010 Eagle Landings Pinot Noir - Score: B+
The grapes from this wine hail from northern California, in the Santa Rita Hills. The nose explodes with crazy black cherry, raspberry, coffee, lovely notes of rose petal, and citrus rind. As time passes the nose becomes aromatic an almost intoxicate aroma that grabs you, unfortunately that is where it ends. The mouth is medium bodied with more bright fruit and powdery tannins from light oak influence. The finish is medium to long with spicy notes, red fruit, light citrus, and good cloves, vanilla, and cinnamon.
7) 2005 Four gates Syrah - Score A-
The nose on this purple to black colored wine filled with tar, chocolate, black pepper, licorice, oak, black plum, blackberry, and thyme. The mouth of this full bodied and layered wine is filled with mouth coating tannins, black fruit, blueberry, blackcurrant, bramble, and complexity to keep your attention. The finish is long and smoky, with good spice, allspice, vanilla, and oak. This is a wine that continues to impress and move the needle on good California Syrah.
2007 Galil Barbera - Score- B+ to A-
The nose on this wine explodes with black pepper, date, blackberry, alcohol, ripe screaming plum, black cherry, and tobacco. The mouth starts with more sweet notes, sweet cedar, and lovely soft tannin that fills the mouth. The finish is long and spicy with nice extraction, spice, cedar, vanilla, light leather, and tobacco that linger long. Quite a nice wine to go with cholent, meat, and roasted chicken. It is versatile wine that has a bit of life yet ahead of it, drink up and you will be awarded.