Recanati Special Reserve - A Vertical Tasting (K)

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Recanati Special Reserve - A Vertical Tasting (K)

Postby Daniel Rogov » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:01 pm

There was a recent tasting of the Recanati Special Reserve wines at the home of winery owner Lenny Recanati, that in the presence of co-owner Uri Shaked, the winemakers, the winery staff and the P.R. person. I did not attend that tasting but today did a vertical of the various Recanati Special Reserve wines in my own tasting room. My tasting notes follow.

Best
Rogov

Recanati, Special Reserve, 2009: Made from very low-yield vines, dark, almost impenetrable garnet, developed in primarily new French oak, a blend largely of Merlot, that fleshed out with Petite Sirah and Cabernet Sauvignon. Clear notes of crushed berries and spicy oak on the nose, opens to show generous but not overly forward red and black currants, dried spices, bittersweet chocolate and fresh, earthy minerals. Rich, powerfully structured and well focused, this one needs time. Approachable now but showing its elegance best from 2013 or 2014 and then cellaring nicely until 2019, perhaps longer. Tentative Score 92–94. K

Recanati, Special Reserve, 2008: Recanati’s flagship wine, this year a blend of 70% Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot, the rest made up by Petite Sirah, Syrah and Cabernet Franc, the various components blended only as the wine was ready to be bottled. Developed in Burgundy oak barriques, a supple and elegant wine showing fine balance and structure that bode well for its future. On the nose and palate well-focused currant, blueberry and blackberry fruits, those on a background of bittersweet chocolate, freshly hung cigar tobacco and sweet spices, with its tannins now integrating nicely. A seamless, deftly balanced and elegant wine. Drink now–2018. Score 94. K

Recanati, Special Reserve, 2007: With its once-firm tannins now settling in nicely and showing fine balance with spicy wood and fruits, showing very well indeed. Dark garnet in color, full-bodied but with a remarkable sense of “lightness” as it sits on the palate, opens with a berry-cherry nose and then goes on to show aromas and flavors of currants, red cherries and wild berries, those on a background of sweet cedar and dark chocolate. Remarkably approachable despite its youth but still cellar-worthy. Drink now–2015. Score 92. K

Recanati, Special Reserve, 2006: A blend of 82% Cabernet Sauvignon and 18% Merlot. Aged for 19 months in barriques, of which 80% were new, showing full-bodied with still-firm tannins along with generous wood and acidity. No fear, however, for those are settling in nicely and show fine balance with fruits yielding a structure that bodes very well for the future. On the nose and palate hints of chocolate, espresso coffee and tobacco to support rich berry, currant and licorice notes, all coming to a powerful but long and graceful finish. Drink now–2018. Score 93. K

Recanati, Special Reserve, 2005: Living up nicely to its earlier promise. Deep royal purple, full-bodied, with firm, still rough-edged tannins, those integrating nicely with light spicy wood and fruits to show fine bal-ance and structure. A blend of 84% Cabernet Sauvignon and 16% Merlot, this is a big, rich and bold wine, with concentrated layers of currant, blackberry, anise and cedary oak flavors. Drink now–2013. Score 93. K

Recanati, Special Reserve, 2004: A blend of 92% Cabernet Sauvignon and 8% Merlot, with generous but not-exaggerated toasty oak and soft tan-nins, those integrating nicely and opening to reveal a rich array of currant, blackberry and black cherry fruits, with gentle overlays of mint and chocolate. As the wine develops look for a hint of cigar tobacco on the long finish. Drink now. Score 93. K

Recanati, Special Reserve, 2003: This deep, broad, gently tannic blend of 72% Cabernet Sauvignon and 28% Merlot combines Cabernet currants, cassis and spicy-herbal overtones with typical Merlot softness. Good balance between wood, tannins and fruits, and a long finish. Drink now. Score 92. K
Special Reserve, 2001: As in its youth, deep garnet toward royal purple, full-bodied, with fine balance between well-integrated soft tannins, spicy and mocha-rich oak, and currant, blackberry and ripe red plum fruits. Some variation between bottles but that primarily in fruit intensity. Drink up. Score 90. K
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Recanati Special Reserve - A Vertical Tasting (K)

Postby Gary J » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:28 pm

Quick question for ya DR, why is the 2009 a "tentative score" & range? Has the bottle not been released...is it an advance tasting?

I thought ranges were generally given for barrel samples. But I've now confused myself and maybe they are given for advance tastings as well... :?:

Thanks!
Wine Tasting Guy
http://winetastingguy.com/
Gary J
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:34 pm

Gary, Hi...

Indeed tentative scores are awarded at barrel tastings. I had tasted this one as a barrel sample at the winery several months ago and today, thanks to a super-friendly spy, had a re-tasting.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Daniel Rogov » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:34 pm

Gary, Hi...

Indeed tentative scores are awarded at barrel tastings. I had tasted this one as a barrel sample at the winery several months ago and today, thanks to a super-friendly spy, had a re-tasting.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Gary J » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:47 pm

got it...thanks!
Wine Tasting Guy
http://winetastingguy.com/
Gary J
Ultra geek

Postby Adam M » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:27 am

I drank about 5 bottles of the 2006 vintage over the past month and I was really impressed. The color is a deep dark inky purple and the body is full and rich. I was surprised at how well the wine is drinking now. I am not a huge fan of early drinking of big wines, and I throroughly enjoyed every bottle of the 2006 vintage that I had. So for those that have stocked up on this and are waiting to dive in, now would be a good time. I think this wine is deeper, darker and richer than the 2004 vintage.

Did I say I liked the wine? ;)
Adam M
Wine guru

Postby Jon Tabak » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:35 pm

Adam - I couldn't agree more. I've recently had some other big wines on the early side and none of them were as enjoyable as the Recanati Special Reserve 2006. Here are my notes: http://www.kosherwino.com/index.php/2011/08/28/recanati-special-reserve-2006/

Rogov - I have a question about the blend. The bottle says 92% Cabernet Sauvignon and 8% Merlot. You have 82% Cabernet Sauvignon and 18% Merlot. Do you know which correct?

Best,
Jon
http://www.KosherWino.com - Supporting your kosher wine habit
Jon Tabak
Ultra geek

Postby Joel D Parker » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:31 am

Ok, I don't know how politically correct it is to post a link to a blog of a fellow forumite (and not my own work) who recently tasted the 2008 Special Reserve. However, for those who are interested Chaim Shraga has an interesting note up here: http://2grandcru.blogspot.com/2011/09/r ... ug-24.html.

Sorry Chaim if you were going to put it up on the forum anyway, as sometimes you do post notes on both places. Just thought those who are not regular voyeurs of your blog might like this particular post. And since the topic came up again.....

Best,

Joel
Joel D Parker
Wine guru

Postby ChaimShraga » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:49 am

It's okay, I post my notes when I think they're of interest and when I can find the time to re-phrase them so they fit under a different context than my blog. I was just too caught up with work to do that in this case. So thanks, Joel.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
ChaimShraga
Wine guru

Postby Menachem S » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:27 am

The drinking windows, especially for the 2003, 2004 and 2005 have been brought in a little, no?

That is to say, made shorter, in this latest tasting - dissappointin, becuase I have a bunch of 2003, 2004 and 2005 that I have to hurry up on

Thoughts as to why that might be?

Usually these get longer, as you are conservative at the outset

thanks
Menachem S
Wine guru

Postby Isaac C » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:14 pm

I am planning on opening a bottle of Recanati Special Reserve 2006 for the first night of Rosh Hashona (to enjoy with a huge dry-aged prime rib steak). Does anyone (Adam, Jon - I know you guys have drunk this recently) have any tips as to whether it should be opened up early in the day and/or decanted?
Isaac C
Ultra geek

Postby Jon Tabak » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:56 am

Isaac - Definitely open early in the day. If you want it open at mealtime, I would suggest some time in the decanter as well. Enjoy!
http://www.KosherWino.com - Supporting your kosher wine habit
Jon Tabak
Ultra geek

Postby Adam M » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:03 pm

Hi Isaac - good choice for the holiday. I think it depends slightly on how the wine has been kept. If it has been purchased recently from a store, chances are its aging has probably accelerated somewhat, and so opening an hour or two before drinking is probably all you need. Decanting certainly can't hurt and may even help fully open the wne, especially if you are planning to drink it at one sitting. If you purchased this early on and have since cellared it properly, I think throwing it in the decanter for an hour before drinking would makes sense (preceded by a few hours out of the cellar standing upright before opening). Provided that it is fully out of any hibernation from your cellar, I'm sure that you will love the wine no matter what you do. Please report back on how it went! Shana tovah, Adam
Adam M
Wine guru

Postby Isaac C » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:34 am

I had the Recanati SR 2006 on the first night of Rosh Hashona. I opened the bottle early in the afternoon and it was amazing. I did not want to decant it as I knew I would also be drinking it the next day (it was really good then too). I paired it with an amazing 2-1/2 inch dry aged Prime Rib Steak (I cooked it sous vide and then seared it - it was outstanding). This is my tasting note (written tonight - hopefully I remembered correctly):

Dark garnet, almost black in color, this rich, full bodied wine was packed with flavors. The nose and mouth on this wine had strong notes of chocolate and coffee and a hint of oak and berries. The oak was more pronounced on the finish, which was very long and intense.
Isaac C
Ultra geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum