Our Plans for Passover Dinners and Wines

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Re: Our Plans for Passover Dinners and Wines

Postby Isaac C » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:40 pm

Over the last two days I had the Dalton Cabernet Reserve 2007, Yarden Syrah 2005, Efron's Cave Jerusalem Hills, the rest of the Carmel Vintage 2004, and a bottle of Yarden Noble Sémillon Botrytis 2004.
Isaac C
Ultra geek

Postby Isaac Chavel » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:54 pm

Eli R,

Last minute decisions:
Dalton Petit Syrah 2009 - for the less sophisticated pallets

Then two out of:
GHW C.S. Yarden 2001
Carmel, Kayumi Shiraz 2004
Saslove C.S. Reserve 2004

I received the impression that the Petit Sirah was for less sophisticated palates only. But, if I remember correctly, Rogov --- who we can agree is reasonably sophisticated wine drinker --- considered the Dalton Petit Sirah 2009 as the most true, among Israeli Petit Sirah's, to the variety. If Rogov is correct, then the effect of your formulation would be that the variety does not produce sophisticated wines. Did you intend to say that? Maybe I remember Rogov's characterization incorrectly.

Best regards,

Isaac
Isaac Chavel
Wine guru

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:02 pm

Perhaps important to keep in mind that not all appreciate Petite Sirah. Whatever, for references purposes, my tasting note follows.

Best
Rogov

Dalton Estate, Petite Sirah, 2009: The winery's first varietal release of Petite Sirah and by heaven, Petite Sirah as Petite Sirah should be. Dark garnet with a purple robe, generously fragrant, medium- to full-bodied with notes of black pepper, licorice and blackberries on the nose, those yielding on the palate to ripe, near-jammy huckleberry and blackberry fruits on a background of vanilla tinged spicy notes and, on the long finish a hint of black olives. Generous and well focused. Drink now-2016, perhaps longer. Score 90. K
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Adam M » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:19 pm

Thought I'd provide a single data dump of the wines enjoyed over the holiday:

1. 2003 Yarden Merlot magnum
2. 2004 Yarden Ortal syrah
3. 2004 Recanati Special Reserve
4. 2005 Tabor Mescha
5. 2005 Yatir Forest magnum (a guest brought it and insisted on opening it; it was obviously way too young)
6. 2009 Covenant Lavan (X3 including in my osso buco)
7. 2005 Tzuba Metsuda
8. 2006 Carmel Gewürztraminer Late Harvest Shaal
9. 2006 Yatir red blend
10. 2004 Barkan Superiore Merlot
11. 2008 Hagafen Sauvignon Blanc Prix Reserve Moskowite Ranch: Block 53
12. 2006 Hevron Heights Cabernet Sauvignon Elone Mamre (my 6th bottle and for what it's worth I haven't notice much bottle variation)
13. 2002 Carmel Cabernet Sauvignon Kerem Zarit
14. 2005 Gamla Merlot (impressive)
15. 2006 Yarden Odem merlot

If you figure that for each bottle there coresponded approximately 2 naps, you'll get a flavor of how my holiday went :0
Last edited by Adam M on Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam M
Wine guru

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:16 pm

I think this is the complete list but am pretty sure I am missing some interesting French whites not available in the US. For what its worth, I found the Castel C 2009 to be drinking better than previously with very little reductive (or other) taint:

Ella Valley Cabernet Franc 2007 (many bottles)
Ella Valley Syrah 2007 (likewise)
Ella Valley Chardonnay 2009
Ella Valley, Vineyards Choice, 2003 - amazing and totally at its incredible peak
Capcanes, Peraj Habib, 2000 - another "at its peak" wine and faring much better than the 2001
Galil Mountain, Syrah, 2004
Galil Mountain, Meron, 2006
Yarden Cabernet Sauvignon, 2006 and 2007
Covenant Lavan 2009
Yatir Forest, 2002
Ch. Valentin (sp?) 2002 (not 100% of the vintage)
Yarden, Ortal, Syrah, 04
Four Gates, Merlot, n.v.
Bustan, Merlot, 2004
Hagafen, Prix, Melange, 2004
Castel, "C", 2009
Yarden, Odem Chardonnay, 2008 (multiple bottles)
Porto Cordevero
Ch. Malmaison 2000

Yarden Elrom Cabernet 2001
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Menachem S » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:09 pm

My last 8 days, other than the Matzoh . . .

2004 Ella Valley Cabernet Sauvignon Israel 60 Special Edition Ella Valley
2004 Recanati Special Reserve Kosher
2005 Domaine du Castel Petit Castel Kosher
2002 Golan Heights Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Yarden Kosher
2005 Ella Valley Cabernet Sauvignon Vineyard's Choice kosher
2006 Yatir Cabernet Sauvignon Yatir Kosher
2004 Golan Heights Winery Syrah Yarden Kosher Ortal Vineyard
2007 Brobdignagian Wines Syrah
2006 Hagafen Prix Melange Reserve Prix Vineyards
2003 Celler de Capçanes Montsant Peraj Ha'abib Flor de Primavera Kosher
2002 Carmel Limited Edition
2003 Yatir Yatir Kosher Yatir Forest
Menachem S
Wine guru

Postby Andrew B » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:49 pm

How about some feedback yall
Andrew B
Wine guru

Postby YoelA » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:54 pm

Sunday evening's 2000 Yarden cabernet was verrrry nice. Mature but still full of flavors (cedar and the rest, good black fruit) and not drying out. The remains were still tasty last night.
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby Andrew B » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:05 am

2000 Barrail de Zede: mature, spicy, medium bodied, with gentle tannins. Still has a few years left.

2003 Pontet Canet: In full form, silty and stony on the palate, a great Bordeaux.

2006 GHW Yarden Syrah Tel Phares: Bold but not as full throttle as it's Ortal cousin. You can feel the heat. Check again in a year.

2005 GHW Yarden Merlot Tel Phares: Pleasantly surprised that the wine was as approachable as I found it to be. Great value

2009 Herzog Petite Sirah 2nd Ed: Medium full bodied with a spice and black fruit nose. A little disconnected but good with food.

NV Binyamina Muscat Alexander: Fortified dessert wine. Pleasantly sweet with a unique oily finish.
Andrew B
Wine guru

Postby YoelA » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:11 pm

At an end-of-Pesach barbecue:

2005 Galil Mtn. Yiron - it was OK but does not seem to be developing further. Might have plateaued.

2003 Rollan de By. Only got the bottom of the bottle but it is holding up well; too good for a barbecue wine.
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby Adam M » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:23 pm

Andrew - As requested, I'm re-posted with some editorial notes (I tried to simply "edit" my previous post but wasn't able to):

Thought I'd provide a single data dump of the wines enjoyed over the holiday:

1. 2003 Yarden Merlot magnum - drinking very well. One of my favorite vintages of regular yarden merlots. Tons of sediment, though
2. 2004 Yarden Ortal - rich and intense but very smooth. Some noticed cinnamon; others noticed coffee. I noticed neither. Just plain delicious, ESP with the osso buco 3. 2004 Recanati Special Reserve - drinking very well ; lighter than the ortal, some may say more "elegant," whatever that means 4. 2005 Tabor - some said it had a sour note; whereas I'd call it savory. Whatever, I liked it a lot and thought it was drinking very well 5. 2005 Yatir Forest magnum (a guest brought it and insisted on opening it; it was obviously way too young) 6. 2009 Covenant Lavan (X3 including in my osso); the glass looks like it is sweating but it's really just the cloudiness. Very nice; and summer ain't even here yet!
7. 2005 Tzuba metsudah; I wrote this off based on my last several bottles that I'd rank about 6 months ago but actually was pretty impressed.
8. 2006 Carmel Gewürztraminer Late Harvest Shaal ; a crowd pleaser. A guy at my table asked me to buy him 7 cases. I don't know what the he'll he's gonna do with them! So I'll just buy him 5.
9. 2006 Yatir red blend - this wine has been a huge disappointment for me. I've enjoyed older vintages so much . The wood is way too pronounced. Flavors are all over the place. I wouldn't open another bottle of this for at least 6 months. I hope I'll eat my words in a year or so.
10. 2004 Barkan Superiore Merlot - at the peak of all peaks, but really good.
11. 2008 Hagafen Sauvignon Blanc Prix Reserve Moskowite Ranch: Block 53; drinking well, very crisp and nice with fish and salads 12. 2006 Hevron Heights Cabernet Sauvignon Elone Mamre (my 6th bottle and for what it's worth I haven't notice much bottle variation) 13. 2002 Carmel Cabernet Sauvignon Kerem - also peaking big time; only good for one sitting but it's a really nice fully mature wine 14. 2005 Gamla Merlot (impressive); no complaints and a good value 15. 2006 Yarden Odem merlot ; very young. Herbal but very dark and on the full side. I think it pairs well right now with spicy meats like Italian sausage.

If you figure that for each bottle there coresponded approximately 2 naps, you'll get a flavor of how my holiday went :0
Adam M
Wine guru

Postby Sam M » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:33 pm

2007 Hagafen cab franc - always satisfying for a cab franc , good mouth.
2006 prix cab- enjoyable Nice balance. I expect it to be more brilliant next year
2008 Carmel appellation Carignan - pleasant wine, unfortunately had it after some bigger wines
2008 Carmel appellation petit syrah- same here, had some left over for next night, it wasn't a big hit. I have another bottle of each I'll try again.
2006 Hagafen estate cab - I'm a big fan
2007 Barjan altitude 720- my favorite bang for my buck. I always love it, and recommend it
2007 capscanes peraj petita -my new favorite everyday wine
2007 capscanes flor haabib- excellent, nice fruit, tannins, balance
Hagafen Reisling - nice, but I dont have enough experience to rate it
2007 Hagafen cuves de noir - I was hoping for a hit. Looking for a good kosher champagne. This had a bitter after taste for me.
2001-Hagafen prix estate syrah - as you see im a big hagafen fan. This and the cuvee was included in the latest club shipment. very nice body, fruit, not as spicey as I expect from my syrahs. But definitely Enjoyable.
Herzog Alexander valley cab .- my favorite of the herzog Special reserves but I have others I prefer in that class.

2005 Benyamina chosen ruby - My dilemma..... I fell in love with wine at least years Gotham
kosher wine event in NY. I bought 6 bottles. Opened the first 2 then and was disappointed. I thought it had a harsh after taste and there was alot of sediment. I decanted the 3 rd bottle a week later thinking it might help, at least avoid the sediment on the glass. Same result. So I thought to let the last 3 cellar another year. The bottle I opened last week seemed to have lost all it's acidity and tannins. Nice fruit but maybe over ripe without the acidity to balance it. What am I experiencing? Has the wine reached end of life? Was it stored improperly, hence the sediment?

I'm not a wine guy. Just a guy who likes wine. I've learned a lot from your blogs.
Sam M
Ultra geek

Postby Andrew B » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:50 pm

Adam M wrote:Andrew - As requested, I'm re-posted with some editorial notes (I tried to simply "edit" my previous post but wasn't able to):

2. 2004 Yarden Ortal - rich and intense but very smooth. Some noticed cinnamon; others noticed coffee. I noticed neither. Just plain delicious, ESP with the osso buco

Sounds like this wine is hitting its stride. I will also pop one open soon! Thanks
Andrew B
Wine guru

Postby Z Spigelman » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:08 pm

On the 7th day of Pesach we opened Gvaot Gofna Reserve Merlot 2006, Yarden Syrah 2005 and Agur Special Edition Cabernet Sauvignon 2009.
Zvi
Z Spigelman
Wine guru

Postby Yakov F » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:31 pm

On the 7th day of Pesach we opened... Agur Special Edition Cabernet Sauvignon 2009.

Zvi,

What were your impressions of the Agur?
Yakov F
Ultra geek

Postby Z Spigelman » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:44 pm

Hi Yakov.
The Special Edition is actually a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Cabernet Franc, and is sold only at Derech HaYayin.
(My mistake and unlike Daniel, I can't blame my typist!!!)
The wine is definitely worth the 2 for NIS 100 price. Plenty of berries and some chocolate - would highly recommend as a weekday wine.
Shabbat Shalom.
Zvi
Z Spigelman
Wine guru

Postby Yakov F » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:50 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:Perhaps important to keep in mind that not all appreciate Petite Sirah.

I sought out the Dalton Petite Sirah thinking it may fit the bill for the four cups at the seder. I had some as well during the meal. I may be one of those who the above quote includes. The remainder improved a bit the next day. I must confess that the original impressions were from a silver goblet and I could taste the metalic residue, but at the meal and the next day I drank from a glass. I read some very positive reviews and wanted to try it but I came across others who did not.

I also had the Recanati Merlot 2010 at the seder. I liked this at multiple tastings but this too was not a hit for me. Perhaps in another setting. For lunch with grilled salmon skewers (shipudim) I opened the Zion Armon Chardonnay 2009 - a very pleasant and low key chardonnay. Worth seeking out on sale.

On the last day we had the GHW Yarden Merlot Tel Phares 2005 - very well done! I agree with a lot of Daniel's description. I bought some more to revisit in the future.
Yakov F
Ultra geek

Postby Yakov F » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:52 pm

Thanks Zvi. I saw it at Derech HaYayin before Pesach and was intrigued by Cab Franc in the blend. I will probably pick some up.

p.s. I've met Shuki the winemaker and would definitely rate him high on the conviction scale as mentioned in another thread, so I like to give his wines a try.
Yakov F
Ultra geek

Re: Dalton Petit Syrah 2009

Postby Eli R » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:27 pm

Hi,

Let me summarize my experience with this wine.

- My first encounter with this wine was at a blind tasting of Israeli Petit Syrah wines. The panel, including 3 people involved in wine-making, two of which produce a varietal Petit Syrah - all agreed that this is a fresh wine, most enjoyable, ready to drink, not having the "Chewable" characteristics of some of the heavy and aggressive varietals produced in Israel. One comment was: let's call this wine "Moshe" and just enjoy it as it is. This was before the label was revealed.

- I made a note for myself to try this wine and check it with my regular Friday dinner "forum of critics" - that always comment on the wines I bring, waiting for me to surprise them every time with something different.

- Then I read in one of the daily newspapers that this wine was picked as the favorite and most enjoyable among a panel with no wine tasting experience .

- Knowing the effect of such a review, I called my favorite shop and made sure that 4 bottles as set aside for me

- Friday before the Seder I opened one and the experience of the blind tasting was repeated. I finished the bottle over the weekend with very little help

- During the Seder, I opened another bottle for the first cup. Reaction was: "what are we drinking, this is really tasty!"

- The limited edition of 2000 bottle disappeared from the shelves. I managed to lay hands of 3 more bottles. Will let them mature a little before trying again.

- I cannot disagree with the master, as Daniel wrote: "Petite Syrah as Petite Syrah should be."

- My only comment is that this definition suggests that this wine may be somewhat like other wines made in Israel like the Petit Syrah of Vitkin or Sea Horse.
My view is that it is very different and therefore could be enjoyed by people who do not like Petit Syrah or the style of the two wines mentioned, where even the wine makers suggest opening them between few hours to 24 hours before drinking.

That's all folks!

Eli
Eli R
Wine guru

Postby David Raccah » Sun May 01, 2011 5:26 am

Wow! I was looking for a super excuse to enjoy a few powerhouse Syrah(s) I had lying around. With Benyo and others in tow at a meal, I opened his 2003 Syrah, a Carmel Kayoumi Shiraz, along with a crazy lovely 2002 Four Gates Chardonnay, and a bottle of the 2007/2008 Four Gates Pinot Noir. We also, enjoyed a bottle of the 2009 Goose Bay Pinot Noir, a bottle I liked a bit more than Daniel did.

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2011/04/30/second-days-of-passover-meals-and-wines/

2003 Carmel Shiraz Single Vineyard Kayoumi – (Israel, Galilee, Upper Galilee) – Score: A-
As one peers into the inky black colored depths of this wine with purple halos you are immediately met with waves of tobacco, tar, licorice, black pepper, oak, espresso coffee, roasted meat, blackberry, cassis, plum, and herb. The mouth on this full bodied wine is rich, lovely, and concentrated with blackberry, cassis, roasted meat, plum, lovely integrated tannin, and herb. The mid palate flows off the mouth with balanced acid, oak, lovely tannin, tobacco, and tar. The finish is super long with nice tannin, oak, black fruit, black pepper, dirt, herb, and licorice.

2003 Four Gates Syrah Rare & Reserve Single Barrel Webb Family Vineyard – Score: A- to A
This wine continues to impress and is keeping strong to my previous notes. The first thing that hits you when you open this bottle of wine and peer into its purple-black stare is the ripe blueberry notes that come screaming out at you, along with blackberry, cassis, plum, tobacco, chocolate, tar, and rick oak. The mouth on this full bodied, mouth filling, concentrated, and inky structured wine comes at you in layers with fruit that follows the nose, ripe blackberry, plum, cherry, blueberry, inky black tar, and oak. The mid palate is balanced with acid, oak, tobacco, and chocolate. The finish is super long, black, and spicy, with rich oak, chocolate, tobacco, tar, and blackberry. This is a truly wonderful wine that is highly structured with lovely tannins and a wine that still has a few years left under its belt. The nose is killer with the lovely ripe blueberry and blackberry, along with the oak, tar, and chocolate. It follows through with the mouth till its tantalizing finish. Quite a powerful wine that still has its sea legs beneath it and one that has a bright horizon ahead of it.

2007/2008 N.V. Four Gates Pinot Noir – Score: A-
This wine has turned blacker since the last time I tasted it and I love it! The wine is showing far more black fruit characteristics than earlier along with coffee and more dirt. The nose on this light purple colored wine is bursting with Chicken Cherry Cola, raspberry, black plum, black fruit, coffee, dirt, and mint. The mouth on this medium bodied wine is a concentrated attack of fruit, with black currant, raspberry, chicken cherry cola, and black plum. The mid palate is bracing with acidity, along with not integrating tannins that play nicely with the wine and the bright fruit, and coffee. The finish is super long with oak, nice acid, black plum, dirt, coffee, and kirsch cherry. This is not an over oaked wine in any way, and that is clear from my notes, still the oak is present in places and works well when it does peek out from under the fruit haze.

2009 Goose Bay Pinot Noir East Coast – Score: B++
This is a wine with two lives; one of pure and channeled dirty fruit and another of fruit cloaked in a shroud of pure espresso coffee and rich woody oak. The wine starts off with ripe red fruit; strawberry, cherry, plum, red berry, rich loamy dirt, and smoky notes. Over time, the nose loses a bit of its forward fruit and turns on a crazy rich and expressive oaky espresso nose with nice red fruit and loamy dirt taking a back seat. The mouth on this medium bodied wine starts of very fruit forward and balanced with nice strawberry, raspberry, and cherry, all wrapped in a frame of spicy oak, dirt, balancing acid, and a hint of oak. As time progresses, the wine changes to a mouth with the frame of reference changing to rich and expressive oak, lively espresso coffee, ripe red berries, dirt and graphite, along with a spicy and oak finish. This is a fun wine that I think people need to open and enjoy while keeping an eye on how it progresses through the meal.
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Andrew B » Sun May 01, 2011 2:41 pm

David Raccah wrote:Wow! I was looking for a super excuse to enjoy a few powerhouse Syrah(s) I had lying around.

Did you open an Ortal Syrah 04? Did I miss the review?
Andrew B
Wine guru

Postby David Raccah » Sun May 01, 2011 3:04 pm

Never got to it, we were happy with the four we opened. The 04 Ortal Syrah is coming soon I think as I want to try it with some other California Syrahs...
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Jon Tabak » Mon May 02, 2011 5:07 am

Hi All,

Hope you all had a wondering chag (holiday). I know I'm late to the game, but this was the first chance I had to post.

Eagle's Landing Pinot Noir 2007 - Used this one for the four cups because it's light IMO
http://www.kosherwino.com/index.php/201 ... noir-2007/

Cantina Gabriele Rosato 2010 - A really nice merlot/sangiovese mix that's light, dry and tasty.

Chateau Leoville Poyferre 2005 - needs some time, but I think it will surpass the 2003
http://www.kosherwino.com/index.php/201 ... erre-2005/

BR Cohn Trestle Glen Cabernet Sauvignon 2008 - drinking really well, elegant
http://www.kosherwino.com/index.php/201 ... gnon-2008/

Yarden Yonatan Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon 2007
- fruit!!!
http://www.kosherwino.com/index.php/201 ... on-2007-2/

Yarden Ortal Vineyard Merlot 2004 - Seems like everyone else is after the syrah, but don't leave this one out...phenomenal
http://www.kosherwino.com/index.php/201 ... rlot-2004/

Covenant Red C Cabernet Sauvignon 2008 - first vintage of Red C that I really like
http://www.kosherwino.com/index.php/201 ... gnon-2008/

Covenant Lavan Chardonnay 2009 - Great chardonnay
http://www.kosherwino.com/index.php/201 ... nnay-2009/

Castel Grand Vin 2003 - Drank at a friends house, so I don't have proper notes on this one. Definitely showing signs of maturity with fruit becoming raisiny. Still enjoyable.

Brobdigangian Syrah 2009 - A fantastic Syrah that was well recevied. I will taste again with notes in the coming weeks.

Shirah Power to the People Syrah 2009
- Definitely a unique Syrah. After many tasting, the wine is finally settling and providing some consistent results. In short, the intense apricot has settled in the background and distinct mint notes has come to the foreground. I will be posting full tasting notes later this week.

Herzog Late Harvest Chenin Blanc 2009 - Loved by all
http://www.kosherwino.com/index.php/201 ... og-late-ha…nin-blanc-2009/

Golan Moscato 2010
- My go-to replacement for the "blue bottle". Again, a winner.

Best,

Jon
http://www.KosherWino.com - Supporting your kosher wine habit
Jon Tabak
Ultra geek

Postby Elie Poltorak » Mon May 02, 2011 11:36 pm

Sorry for the delay. Didn't have much time to post over pesach and have been inundated with work since. Before I post what I had, I'd like to comment on some of the earlier posts:

I second Adam's comment re the Yatir Red '06. I absolutely loved the '04 but the '06 is an unmitigated disaster. I made the mistake of buying 2 cases when it came out before trying it based on Yatir's consistently amazing quality but I just couldn't drink it and ended up giving most of it away. The wine is flat, way over-oaked and has a nasty bitter aftertaste. I don't see this improving with age. I'm very disappointed that Yatir would release such a flawed wine.

I agree with Andrew's observation that the Yarden Tel Phares is surprisingly mature and drinking fabulously.

I find it interesting that Jon write that the '08 Red C is the first vintage he likes. As previously discussed in other threads, the '08 is an entirely different wine than the previous years. I would argue that it's not nearly as good but as they say, different strokes for different folks.

David: Four Gates '03 Syrah--You're making me jealous!!! That was some wine. I wish I could get more.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

PreviousNext

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum