My latest kosher wine column--Rioja

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

My latest kosher wine column--Rioja

Postby Gamliel K » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:04 pm

Dear All,

My latest kosher wine column for The New York Jewish Week is now available on-line at the link below. This month’s column is on Rioja.

http://www.thejewishweek.com/features/f ... red_summer

Please note: The on-line version does not contain my recipe for Sangria. If you wish to see the full version, please pick up a print copy of the Jewish Week, which is available at newsstands throughout the metropolitan New York area.

Salute!
Gamliel
Gamliel K
Ultra geek

Re: My latest kosher wine column--Rioja

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:50 pm

Gamliel, Hi...

Nice piece and I'm thankful that you gave your readers a recipe. Knowing you, it will be a good Sangria. A

Some of that "stuff" that comes pre-bottled or even in 330 ml tins that goes by that name is best used for putting out fires, giving as gifts to people you cannot stand, or perhaps for cleaning one's sink. My philosophy about bottled and tinned Sangria is quite simple - those who buy it deserve exactly what they get.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Gamliel K » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:30 pm

Rogov,

Thank you for your kind words.

Indeed, based on my limited experience with bottled/tinned cocktails and punches, such things should only be served to those residing in the eighth circle of Dante’s Inferno. As for my recipe for Sangria, it contains only fresh fruit (oranges, lemons, and apples), Rioja, sugar, brandy, orange curacao, and sparkling water. I’ll post the actual recipe next week after the Jewish Week’s exclusive runs out.

All the best,
Gamliel
Gamliel K
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:42 pm

Thinking of orange Curacao and sighing with pleasure. Delicious on its own and one of the best possible sauces when poured over vanilla ice cream or when used when making crepes Suzette. Ahhhhhh.....

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Gamliel K » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:51 pm

Rogov,

I've never tried orange Curacao on vanilla ice cream, but it sounds like a delightful idea. I usually pour a little crème de cassis on vanilla ice cream when I want to jazz things up a bit.

Orange Curacao and cream puts me in mind of one of the most decadent cocktails that's worth drinking: the Chapagne flip. It's brandy, cream, egg white, Curacao, and sugar, shaken until foamy, poured into a flute and topped off with champagne and freshly grated nutmeg. (In my mind, in the pantheon of Champagne cocktails it's second only to the French 75.)

Best,
Gamliel
Gamliel K
Ultra geek

Postby Gamliel K » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:43 am

As promised, my Sangria Recipe:

Sangria:
There is no exact recipe for this ever-popular Spanish red-wine-based drink, whose name is derived from the Spanish word for blood. In fact, were one to ask a thousand Spaniards for their recipe for Sangria, in all likelihood one would receive at least fifteen-hundred different recipes. The recipe below is the one we use in the Kronemer household.

1 bottle of Rioja
1/3 cup superfine sugar
2 tablespoons brandy
2 tablespoons orange curacao
1 apple cut up into small chunks
2 lemons, one juiced and one cut into small wedges
2 oranges, one juiced and one cut into small wedges
3 cups of ice cold club soda, seltzer, or sparkling mineral water

Pour sugar and a few tablespoons of warm water into a large glass pitcher and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Add the fruit, the juice, the brandy, the curacao, and the wine, stir again, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 3-12 hours. When ready to serve, add the sparkling water, stir well, and pour into ice-filled glasses. Spoon a piece or two of the fruit into each glass as a garnish.
Gamliel K
Ultra geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum