Covenant drinking windows

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Covenant drinking windows

Postby Michael P » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:10 pm

Rogov

A question about drinking window end date with the Covenant Cab

2006 - 2018
2007 - 2023
2008 - 2018 (for both the regular and solomon)

I am curious as why this is - the 2006 you made a note about the longevity of the drinking window- and do you foresee any changes?

Thanks
Michael P
Ultra geek

Re: Covenant drinking windows

Postby Daniel Rogov » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:23 pm

Michael, Hi....

I'm not sure that I'm understanding the question. If you are basically asking why I see the 2007 as having the longest cellaring potential - as in all cases six reasons - balance, balance and balance and structure, structure and structure.
All fine wines but each from a different vintage year and thus showing different potentials.

If I have missed the question, please ask away once again. My tasting notes for the three wines follow.

Best
Rogov

Covenant, Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley, 2008: Impenetrably dark garnet in color, made from 20-year-old low-yield vines, opens with dusty wood and near-sweet tannins that coat the mouth gently, those yielding to generous black fruits and notes of both dark chocolate and licorice, with the fruits rising on the long and mouth-filling finish. Best 2011–2018. Score 92.

Covenant,Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley, 2007: Made entirely from Cabernet Sauvignon grapes, dark ruby towards royal purple in color, full-bodied and well extracted, showing gently gripping tannins and opening beautifully in the glass. On the nose and palate currants, plums and cassis, those complemented by notes of mixed spices sweet cedarwood and light notes of smoky oak. Already showing its charms but revealing its elegance best from mid-2010-2023. Score 93.

Covenant, Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley, 2006: Every bit as excellent as earlier releases, but perhaps destined to be the longest-lived of the Covenant wines released to date. Dark garnet towards royal purple, full-bodied, with silky smooth, near-sweet tannins that caress gently and showing fine balance between those, a bare hint of smoky wood, and fruits. On the nose and palate ripe currants and plums, those matched nicely by notes of basil, and then followed with notes of chocolate. Drink now–2018. Score 94.
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Michael P » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:26 am

Rogov,

You answered my question.

My observation here is that the Kosher California vintage rating for 2006 was 87 and for 2008 90-92. While the tasting notes for the Covenant read very similar for those years the scores and drinking windows are slightly in the reverse of the quality of the vintage years - the 2006 had a score of 94 and a 12 year drinking window, the 2008 a 92 with a 10 year.
2007 was a 90 kosher California vintage rating and while the wine scored one point below the 2006 score the 2007 drinking window is 16 years.

I guess I would have expected a slightly higher score, but more importantly a longer drinking window for 2008.

Finally if the 2008 Kosher California vintage turns out to be a 92, this would be the first time in Covenants very short history that their flagship wine has not scored higher than the overall vintage score.

All that said, I am sure that the 2008 will be great for both the regular Cab and the new Solomon that gets released later this year.
Michael P
Ultra geek

Postby Barry K » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:02 pm

Hi Rogov
Have you had the opportunity to taste the Red Sea 2008..
How does it compare to previous years?
thanks
Barry K
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:51 pm

Barry, Hi....

Tasted twice (once in barrels and once on release) and just today received another bottle for tasting, that to join my tastings either late this week or early next week. Whatever, following is my most recent tasting note (about 4 months ago).

Best
Rogov

Covenant, Red C, Napa VALLEY, 2008: Dark garnet toward royal purple in color, medium- to full-bodied, with soft tannins and gentle wood influences. On the nose and palate blackcurrants, blackberries and black cherries, those matched nicely by notes of bittersweet chocolate, garrigue and roasted herbs. Drink now–2016. Score 90.
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Barry K » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:32 am

Hi Rogov
Recently tasted the Red C 2008 and found it significantly different from previous years.. Would you please share your most recent TN .

Thanks
Barry K
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:59 am

Barry, Hi...

My above tasting note holds firmly. I do agree that there is one major difference between the 2008 and earlier releases of the Red C, that being that the 2008 wine was the first to have somewhat deeper earthy and garrigue notes. Although this does not impact on the quality of the wine it does impact on its personality.

Following, to make comparison easier, are my tasting notes for the 2005-2008 vintages of the Red C.

Best
Rogov

Covenant, Red C, Napa Valley, 2008: Dark garnet toward royal purple in color, medium- to full-bodied, with soft tannins and gentle wood influences. On the nose and palate blackcurrants, blackberries and black cherries, those matched nicely by notes of bittersweet chocolate, garrigue and roasted herbs. Drink now–2016. Score90.

Covenant, Red C, Napa Valley, 2007: Riper and more fruit-forward than the Covenant. Garnet to royal purple, medium- to full-bodied, with soft tannins integrating nicely to highlight blackberry and black cherry fruits, those on a tantalizing spicy background. Soft and round but with plenty to grab the attention. Drink now–2013. Score 90.

Covenant, Red C, Napa Valley, 2006: Call this the second wine of Covenant if you will but a wine that stands comfortably on its own and, as a second wine should do, offers an early preview of what is to come in the future. Garnet toward royal purple, medium- to full-bodied, a Cabernet Sauvignon blend showing silky tannins and gentle spicy wood influences. Opens to reveal currants and red and black berries on a background of mocha and an intriguing note of stony minerals that comes in on the long finish. Drink now–2013. Score 90.

Covenant, Red C, Napa Valley, 2005: Dark ruby toward garnet, medium- to full-bodied, with soft, gently mouth-coating tannins and a light hand with the oak in which it was developed. Opens to show traditional Cabernet Sauvignon aromas and flavors of blackcurrants and blackberries, those coming together nicely with hints of orange peel and Mediterranean herbs. I am well aware that sunshine has neither aroma nor flavor, but, so help me, this one tastes of sunshine. Drink now. Score 89.
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:43 pm

I recently tasted the 2008 Red C and, while not historically a Red C fan, found the 2008 to be the best yet in my opinion - scrumptious!
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby David Raccah » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:04 pm

Hey Yossie - are you back? Yes, the 2008 Red C is by far the best so far. the 2006 Red C is dying already while the 2008 has enough extraction and tannins to easily live for some time.

My notes - on my blog posting ([url][/url])http://kosherwinemusings.com/2010/12/23/molecular-gastronomy-meets-covenant-wines-at-the-kitchen-table-what-a-wonderful-pairing-indeed/

2008 Covenant Red C Cabernet Sauvignon – Score: A-
The nose on this dark garnet to purple colored wine is exploding with butterscotch right out of the gate, along with blackberry, raspberry, spicy oak, black plum, cherry, rich and loamy dirt, as time progresses it shows a richer black nose with a distinct perfume. The mouth is rich and spicy with ripe blackberry, black plum, spicy oak, licorice, rich raspberry, a truly full, rich and massive mouthfeel from mounds of tannin. The mid palate is balanced with acid, butterscotch, ripe rich oak, massive tannin, rich blackberry, with a rich inky structure and texture. The finish is super long and spicy, with almost tar like flavors, inky structure, plum, blackberry, a hint of butterscotch, still not integrated tannin, leather, chocolate, tobacco, and vanilla. Quite a lovely wine. The wine is made predominantly from grapes grown at the Young Family Vineyard in Napa Valley, just south of St. Helena, along with press wine from the flagship Covenant Cabernet.

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:08 pm

On a flight back from LAX-NYC - looking forward to being home! Might be so happy to be home that a Covenant 2003 may make it's way to my table!
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby David Raccah » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:13 pm

Indeed I have two bottles of the 2003 Covenant and the last time I had it, it was the winner of the table, and tehre were some big Cab heavyweights on the table as well. Though it may well be time to pop one open as well.

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Motti K » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:59 pm

Motti K
Cellar rat

Postby David Raccah » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:21 pm

Hey Motti - yes indeed that was article by Asimov was cited on a different thread. Do you like/drink Covenant wines?

David
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Motti K » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:10 pm

i do indeed . i am usually buying half to one case every vintage and will probably never pass rogov’s drinking window, just had a 03 recently. only thing i hate( jeff if you read this) is the format of the bottle. Sucks to store in eurocave…
Motti K
Cellar rat

Postby David Raccah » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:17 pm

Indeed! Not sure which one is heavier or bigger, Barkan Superiore bottles, Alexander Winery (alex the great), or Covenant bottles :lol:
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:00 pm

The Brobdignagian and Syraph bottles are up there as well...
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Elie Poltorak » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:21 am

I must agree with the previous posters: Although the '08 Red C is a great wine, it is completely different than past years. In a blind tasting, I'd never suspect this was a Red C. Gone was the lovely spiciness I've come to expect from Red C. Very good but completely different.
Is this related to Covenant's move from Oxnard to Nappa?
I'm going to restock on the '07 as it seems to be the last of a breed.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Elie Poltorak » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:09 am

I just tried another bottle of the '08 Red C and it only reinforced my previous impression that this is an entirely new wine not at all similar to past Red Cs. It seems to be almost a "Covenant lite" so to speak. It has something of the Covenant's taste without its body and structure to round it out. Vanilla ice cream predominates. Although it's still a nice wine, I can't say I'm crazy about it. I hope the '09 will be more like Red Cs past--spicy, black-fruity, and bold.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:24 am

Followng is my tasting notes for the 2009 edition...

Best
Rogov

Covenant, Red C, Napa Valley, 2009: Deep royal purple in color, full-bodied, with gently caressing tannins and a light note of spicy oak. Opens in the glass to reveal generous blackberry and black cherry fruits, those complemented by hints of citrus peel and bittersweet chocolate and, on the long finish a note of mint. Drink now-2015. Score 90.
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Elie Poltorak » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:36 am

Thanks Rogov. Would you say the '09 is more like the '08 or the previous years? I can't tell from your TNs.
I actually tasted the '09 Red C when I visited the winery a few months ago and liked it (like the previous years'), but I'm not a pro and don't have enough experience with barrel tasting to trust my impression.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:41 am

Elie, Hi....

Because of the black fruits, and somewhat fuller-body, more akin to editions earlier than the 2008.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Josh Kramer » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:12 pm

Anybody tasted the 2007 Red C lately? Thoughts and how long does it have left?
Josh Kramer
Wine geek

Postby David Raccah » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:17 pm

Last time I tasted it, the wine was lovely, a year ago, but the wine has been hit and miss, and the wine is NOT improving at this point. drink and enjoy when you can in the next few months
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:52 pm

Hi Josh,

I've had the 07 Red C about 6-7 weeks ago and while it's drinking fine now, I don't believe either that it will improve any further. Based on how it's drinking now I'd still give it about another year or so, it's medium to full and with an array of red and black fruits with spices and soft, integrated tannins.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Next

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum