TNR a few kosher French, please

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

TNR a few kosher French, please

Postby Michael P » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:57 am

Rogov,

If you wouldn't mind providing TN's for the following wines. I have listed vintages I know of, can you note where there are others?

Thanks kindly:

Chartreuse de Trigant 06
Chateau La Fleur Chantecaille 05
Chateau Trigant (Pessac-Leognan) 06
Chateau Larrivet Haut-Brion red 06
" " white 06
Chateau Franc Maillet Pomerol 05
Michael P
Ultra geek

Re: TNR a few kosher French, please

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:32 pm

Michael, Hi...

Before responding - are you looking for kosher or regular editions?

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Michael P » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:48 pm

All kosher please, although i would be interested in a side by side comparison (Kosher vs. non-Kosher) if that isn't too much trouble...
Michael P
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:57 pm

Michael.....

Great. Right now though on the way out (a) to munch on ice cream, (b) to sip coffee and (c) to purchase a watermelon. Back shortly to check my tasting notes and post.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Michael P » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:04 pm

Personally I prefer coffee flavored ice cream, but either way watermelon does not fit with the other two! Interesting desert...
Michael P
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:57 pm

Michael, Hi....

The ice cream was Valrhona chocolate, the coffee was two strong espressos and the watermelon went into the frig for tomorrow. 8)

As to the wines - following are my notes for those I have tasted. All recent releases, thus all recent tasting notes. May I ask where you found them in the USA?

Best
Rogov

Chateau Trigant, Pessac-Leognan, 2006 (Kosher Edition): A virtual twin to the regualar (i.e. non-kosher edition). Dark royal purple in color, with still firm tannins and generous spicy wood needing time to settle down but already showing good balance and structure. On first attack blackberries and sweet and spicy cedar wood, those yielding to currants, purple plums and notes of baker's chocolate. On the long finish an appealing hint of black olives. Best 2011-2015. Score 90. K (Tasted twice with consistent notes 19 and 24 Jun 2009)

Le Chartreuse de Trigant, Pessac-Leognan, 2006 (Kosher Edition): Deep garnet towards royal purple, full-bodied, with gently mouth-gripping tannins settling in nicely with spicy wood and fruits. On the nose and palate appealing blackberry and purple plum fruits those supported nicely by hints of dark chocolate and espresso coffee. A solid effort for a second wine. Drink now-2013. Score 87. K (Tasted 19 Jun 2009)

Chateau Larrivet Haut-Brion, Pessac-Leognan, 2006 (Kosher Edition): Deeply aromatic, medium- to full-bodied, with soft tannins integrating nicely and showing ripe black and red berries, those on a background of cigar tobacco. Lingers nicely. Approachable now but best 2011-2015. Score 89. K (Tasted 9 Jul 2009)

Chateau Larrivet Haut-Brion, Pessac-Leognan, Blanc, 2007 (Kosher Edition): Very nice indeed. Light golden in color, full-bodied, and aromatic. On the opening nose enough coconut and pineapple to make you think you're about to sip from a pina colada those happily dropping off nicely to show aromas and flavors of lemon meringue and stewed apples. Fine minerality and balancing acidity here. Not for more than short-term cellaring but delicious now-2011. Score 90. K (Tasted twice with consistent notes 9 and 14 Jul 2009)

Chateau Franc Maillet, Pomerol, 2005 (Kosher Edition): Medium- perhaps medium- to full-bodied, with soft tannins integrating nicely with light spicy wood notes. Opens to show appealing black fruits and notes of bitter-sweet chocolate. Not complex but a good bet with small cuts of beef or lamb. Drink now-2011. Score 87. K (Tasted but not blind 11 Aug 2009)
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Michael P » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:22 pm

Thanks Rogov.

As far as finding them in the USA, I have not found them yet, although I understand these wines are available in Paris. I'm sure after a few years and a nifty mark-up these will become available in the USA.
Michael P
Ultra geek

Postby Ilan T » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:07 am

Hi Rogov,

In my experience, the good kosher Bordeaux are generally pretty expensive and even the decent ones are not cheap. Generally, the affordable ones I have tried, while often simple and fairly enjoyable, have not been as good as similarly priced wines from elsewhere. Are there are kosher Bordeaux that you recommend as good QPR buys?

-Ilan

P.S.- If you'd like, I recommend you serve the watermelon cubed with a squeeze of fresh lime and sprinkled with a mint chiffonade. It's the perfect finale for a summer meal IMHO.
@winemakerguy
Ilan T
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:16 am

Ilan, Hi...

The question of kosher Bordeaux wines of quality at good QPR is a good one but I cannot really help on this. I do not generally follow the pricing of such wines largely because prices vary so enormously between different areas and even different stores that it is hard to keep up with them. What I most often do when it comes to buying such wines is to do a cross-check on the internet of three-four kosher wine stores that I know to have generally reasonable prices and then make my decision based on that. Simply a case of comparison shopping.

Because I do receive so many of these wines as samples for tastings and also have to purchase such wines a good bet when wines that appear to be good buys do appear would be to ask on the forum if I have a tasting note. As always, I will be delighted to post those.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Michael P » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:27 pm

Rogov,

Have you tasted the Chateau La Fleur Chantecaille 05?
Michael P
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:59 am

Not tasted but now added to my list

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Jon Tabak » Fri May 04, 2012 12:35 am

Chateau Franc Maillet, Pomerol, 2005 - Tasted this wine twice in the past 4 months and I will finally have a chance to sit down with it this weekend. I honestly couldn't agree less with Rogov's description, score and drinking window. This is an absolutely wonderful wine with a soft mouthfeel, an explosive mid-palate, great structure and plenty of years ahead. This was produced by the same winemaker as Chateau Quinault 05/06 and possesses similar qualities.
http://www.KosherWino.com - Supporting your kosher wine habit
Jon Tabak
Ultra geek

Postby Yehoshua Werth » Fri May 04, 2012 2:02 am

sounds like after 3 years the wine has realy improved or your taste buds realy connect to this wine better.. Is this in the USA now..

Love be with your day
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
Yehoshua Werth
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum