Urgent - As No Other Post in the Past Has Been Urgent

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Urgent - As No Other Post in the Past Has Been Urgent

Postby Daniel Rogov » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:41 am

We talk about wines for US$10.00 and under. We talk about wines that cost $100.00 or more. Well, the time has come to talk about really expensive wines. No more penny-pinching, no more thinking about budgets, the stock market, the value of the Euro, the bankruptcy courts. How about a relatively young wine at NIS 20,000 (give or take a few pennies, US$ 5,550)

I just received an email from the French-Israeli Wine Group to the effect that the 1995 Krug Brut Champagne Clos d'Ambonnay has arrived in Israel. Probably the most world's most expensive wine on release, only 1500 bottles were produced and, by heaven, tiny Israel has received four of those bottles.

Truth be told, I'm just a wee bit ticked off at Arik and Ori Segal as well as at Betty Kaien, the otherwise absolutely charming people of French-Israel, as they didn't even have the courtesy to arrange a tasting for me. After all, how is a hard working wine critic to write a review of a wine such as this without consuming a minimum of half a bottle? And where, after all, to accompany the wine were the blinis with crème fraiche and Beluga caviar, the ceviche of pompano and the lobster Thermidor after which I so lust.

Ah well, after talking with Betty, I know that two bottles have already been sold (Betty was discrete enough not to reveal the names of the buyers) and that only two remain. Although I have not tasted this wine, I have tasted two of the other Krug 1995 releases, the Brut Champagne which earns a score and the Clos du Mensil Blanc de Blancs, both of which earn scores of 98, the first of which will cellar comfortably until 2025-2030 and the second until about 2020. All I can do is imagine the joys of the Clos d'Ambonnay and hope that if one of our forumites purchases one or both of the remaining bottles they will take pity and invite me for a glass.

If interested in the wines run, do not walk, to the nearest telephone and call Betty Kaien at 054 6772182

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Urgent - As No Other Post in the Past Has Been Urgent

Postby David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:47 am

Krug (and most prestige cuvee Champagnes for that matter) jumped the fiscal shark for me a while ago.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Postby Lior Yogev » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:38 am

A quick google search has located the wine for a 1000$ less.

e.g.: 3200EU at http://www.lavinia.fr/LaviniaFR/ficha.aspx?Id=17553

And about a year ago it was 3000-3500$, some commentary from Mr. Asimov:
http://thepour.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0 ... nt-prices/

Nice looking bottle, though :)

Lior.
Attachments
Clos d'Ambonnay.1.jpg
Clos d'Ambonnay.1.jpg (4.26 KiB) Viewed 1030 times
Lior Yogev
Wine guru

Postby Sue Courtney » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:40 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote: ..... How about a relatively young wine at NIS 20,000 (give or take a few pennies, US$ 5,550) ....

Mmmmm, someone is making some money on this somewhere. Twelve bottles came into New Zealand in July this year and the retail price here was $NZ5500 ($US3500) each. And of course *I* didn't get to taste it.
Sue Courtney
Wine guru

Postby Daniel Rogov » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:23 pm

First of all, the French-Israel Group is well known for its high towards outrageous prices. Second of all, and with a smile, let us not forget that the wine comes in a nice box here in Israel. Sheesh.....that box must be worth something......
Attachments
KrugSpecial.JPG
KrugSpecial.JPG (79.61 KiB) Viewed 575 times
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Oran K » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:28 am

Rogov , A partially related question , please.

What are the chances for a TCA tainted cork in a Champagne of this quality ? Are they the same as in regular good quality wine ? (Red or white)

Not that this worry is relevant for me , but I wonder...
Oran K
Cellar rat

Postby Daniel Rogov » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:53 am

Oran, Hi....

I doubt that there are firm data about TCA and Champagne, most of even the most expert opinions being anecdotal. Most seem to agree that even though Champagne can indeed be corked it seems to happen with about 1/3 the frequency that is found in non sparkling wines. That may be because the selection of corks for use in Champagne is more rigorous, that largely because of pressure problems with the wines and how the cork has to react to that. Some suggest that it is the CO2 in the sparkling wine that prevents the development of the TCA taint but there is no firm evidence for that at all.

From a combination of various research findings and personal experience, I would suggest that between 1 - 2.5% of Champagnes will be corked. If that were to happen with one of these bottles I am quite sure that Krug would replace it or, if that impossible because all had been sold, certainly arrange for a refund in full of one's outlay.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum