Wine Poll #013: Wines For Under Ten Dollars

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

How Many Wines Do We Buy for Ten Dollars or Less?

70% or more
8%
60-70%
No votes
50-60%
No votes
40-50%
5%
30-40%
3%
20-30%
11%
10-20%
22%
5-10%
19%
very rarely
30%
never
3%

Total votes : 37

Wine Poll #013: Wines For Under Ten Dollars

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:55 am

Whatever they say about my age, I'm not all that old. I do remember however days when it was quite possible to purchase wines that were not only "acceptable" but even quite good and sometimes excellent for six, seven and eight dollars (or that equivalent in French or Swiss francs, Italian lira, etc).

This week's question – about what percentage of the wines that you buy cost the equivalent of $US10 or under. And in your comments, how often do you find those wines rewarding?
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Wine Poll #013: Wines For Under Ten Dollars

Postby Lior Yogev » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:57 am

I voted for the 20-30% range. There are wines such as GHW golan cab, Galil Mt. cab, GHW gamla sauv-blanc and perhaps a handful of imported wines that are very nice everyday wines and I try to have one at hand at any given time. With the recent price increases the three mentioned above are hard to find at under 10$, but in the good stores it is still possible.

Lior.
Lior Yogev
Wine guru

Postby Avi Hein » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:06 pm

I voted in the 70% or more range but it may really be in the 50-65% range or so, depending on exchange rate, of course that assuming a shekel to dollar exchange rate of between 3.5-4 shekels to dollar. With the weak dollar, more of my wines can be in the $10-$15 range. As a young person, starting out, I can't justify huge expenditures on wine (as much as I would like to) but with great value wines from Golan Heights Winery, Galil Mountain, and even Tzuba, Carmel, and - most importantly - knowing where to buy wines (that is, I buy wines for 35-40 shekels that can be found elsewhere (at no better storage) for 50 shekels or more) and when to hit the sales (I stock up before Rosh Hashana and Passover, when there are sales in Israel).
It's Israeli Wine 2.0 - HaKerem: The Israeli Wine Blog - http://www.israeli-wine.org
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/avihein - @avihein & http://www.twitter.com/israelwines - @israelwines
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/israelwine
Avi Hein
Ultra geek

Postby Robin Garr » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:11 pm

Excellent question, Rogov. This one's important to me, because I tend to specialize in "QPR" for my wine writing, and although I spread my buying over a broader spectrum, I have always tried to keep a non-trivial segment of my reports in the $10-and-under range.

Within the past year or two, though, I've had to adjust this line and mark $12 as the new $10. While it's still possible to find an occasional wine of interest in this market (Louisville, KY in the US) for a single-digit price, the chances of the wine being interesting enough to justify even this price are plummeting. Interestingly, Low-end French wines seem marginally more likely to make this cut than Italian or even American wines. There's just too much horrifying industrial plonk in the $10 range nowadays.
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Postby Eli R » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:32 pm

I voted 10%-20%. It is more like 10-12%.
My answer refers to 10$US, or 40 NIS, or 8 Euro, or 7 British pounds - etc.

Every now and then I buy "supermarket" priced wines, whether from actually a supermarket or a wine store.
When I travel, and I used to travel a lot on business, this was the price I usually paid for a bottle of wine bought at odd places like a petrol station....
At home I buy white wines from Dalton, Galil, Tabor. Reds from Galil and imports from Chile and Argentina.

Eli
Eli R
Wine guru

Postby David M. Bueker » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:45 pm

If I include case discounts I manage to get something under $10 every once in a while. When a inexpensive wine is good enough for me to want to free up cellar space I will tend to buy it by the case.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Postby Matilda L » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:00 pm

Speaking about the Australian wine buying scene, it has been my experience that you largely get what you pay for. Only on very rare occasions would I venture below the ten dollar mark. There are so many enjoyable wines in the next price bracket up, why be really mean? Most of my wine purchases for regular "at home" drinking would be: for white wines, $15 - $25 AUD, red wines $25 - $40, sparkling wines $18 - $35. (Forgive me for not providing US dollar equivalents: what with current changes to exchange rates, I don't have it at my fingertips. All I know is, the stock market is making me poor.)

One of the music venues I go to regularly sells wines by the glass, which retail for $8 - $10 per bottle. I drink these when I am there, because that is what is available. They are OK, but one dimensional, lacking interest. As with many (most?) cheap-end Australian wines, they are drinkable but unchallenging. I wouldn't use these wines to stock my cellar. I prefer something with a few more layers to it. To take up Robin's point about quality-price ratio, my experience is that you get better QPR by spending just a bit more.

Matilda
Matilda L
Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Postby Daniel Rogov » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:56 am

I'm the first to agree that the vast majority of wines costing under US$10.00 lack complexity or sophistication. On the other hand, there are some very good wines "out there" at that price and sometimes a bit of consideration and a modicum of time invested in searching can be well worth the effort. Following, for example, is a brief list of whites and reds, all $10.00 or less in price in the USA and each earning a score of between 88-90.

My vote goes to the 10-20% option, probably closer to 10 than 20.

Best
Rogov

Marques de Caceres, Satinela, Rioja, 2007
Hogue, Riesling, Columbia Valley, Washington, 2007
Donnafugata, Ansonica-Catarratto, Anthilia, Sicily, 2007
Cave des Vignerons de Saumur, Saumur Blanc, Tuffeau, Loire, 2007
Rosemount, Traminer-Riesling, Diamond Label, South Eastern Australia, 2006
Hogue, Gewürztraminer, Columbia Valley, Washington, 2006
Alamos, Cabernet Sauvignon, Mendoza, Argentina, 2006
Alamos, Merlot, Mendoza, Argentina, 2006
Alamos, Malbec, Mendoza, Argentina, 2006
Bodegas Esmerelda, Malbec-Syrah, Tilia, Mendoza, Argentina, 2006
Concha y Toro, Carmenère, Casillero del Diablo Reserve, Rapel Valley, Chile, 2006
Cave Terraventoux, Côtes du Ventoux, 2006
Bodegas Terrazas de los Andes, Cabernet Sauvignon, Mendoza, Argentina, 2006
R. Gassier, Château de Nages Réserve, Costières de Nîmes, 2006
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Norm N » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:43 am

I voted for rarely. The wine that is sold at the LCBO for less than $10 is generally corporate plonk, barely suitable for cooking. I know that in the US that there are more examples of wines in the $10 range but the LCBO either cannot be bothered importing them or marks them up to the point where they sell for much more (for example, the Gassier Château de Nages Réserve that Daniel notes above retailed at Vintages for $14.95....I thought it to be a very good value even at that price, for $10 per bottle, I'd have bought a case!). "Value" wines that I purchase tend to be in the $13-$15 range these days.

Cheers,
Norm
Norm N
Ultra geek

Postby Menach N » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:07 pm

voted for rarely. simply under 10$ usually these wines wont have the kind characters and qualities ( depth length complexty ecc..) that i like.
between 10-20 $ it gets easier to find
best regards
Menach
Menach N
Ultra geek

Postby YoelA » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:17 pm

For me, probably 30-40%, but that includes a fair number of bargain-priced wines that I buy at a discount establishment to taste and see whether they're worth buying more of. Only a few of them are, but those can be really worthwhile buying. At the moment I'm looking to taste a five-dollar Alsatian riesling from a well-known producer.
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby Robin Garr » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:42 am

Daniel Rogov wrote:Following, for example, is a brief list of whites and reds, all $10.00 or less in price in the USA and each earning a score of between 88-90.

Good list, Rogov. For the good of the order, here are the $10-and-under wines on which I've published positive notes during 2008. (Generally speaking, I post notes on insipid or flawed wines only if it supports a specific wine-education point that I wish to make in an article. All of the below passed muster for quality at least somewhat exceeding their price point. Prices are local retail in Louisville.)

Villa Pozzi 2007 Nero d'Avola Sicilia ($8.99)
"Via Firenze" 2005 Chianti ($7.99)
Viña Ventisquero 2006 "Root: 1" Colchagua Valley Cabernet Sauvignon ($10)
Vinum Cellars 2006 "CNW Chard-No-Way" Wilson Vineyards Clarksburg Chenin Blanc ($8.99)
Domaine Valdernier 2005 Coteaux d'Aix en Provence ($9.99)
Luigi Bosca 2006 "La Linda" Lujan de Cuyo Mendoza Malbec ($9.99)
Château Saint Martin de la Garrigue 2005 Coteaux du Languedoc Blanc ($9.99)
Le Pavillon du Château Beauchêne 2006 Côtes du Rhône Rosé ($9.99)
Domaine André Brunel 2005 Vin de Pays de Vaucluse Grenache ($10)
José Maria da Fonseca 2007 "Twin Vines" Vinho Verde ($9)
Domaine La Tour Boisée 2005 Vin de Pays d'Oc Cabernet Sauvignon ($9.99)
Chateau Sauman 2005 Cotes de Bourg ($9.99)
Trapiche 2006 Mendoza Malbec ($6.99)
Bodegas Norton 2006 "Lo Tengo" Mendoza Malbec ($9.99)
Cave de Montagnac 2006 Picpoul de Pinet ($7.99)
Catherine le Goeuil 2005 Côtes du Rhône Villages Cairanne "Cuvée Léa Felsch" ($9.99)
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Postby Daniel Rogov » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:55 am

Robin, Hi.....

As I peek at both of our lists I cannot help but think - so many books to read, so many wines to taste, so many places to visit, so much music to hear, so many fine places at which to dine ... and so little time in which to do all of those things.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Robin Garr » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:32 am

Daniel Rogov wrote:As I peek at both of our lists I cannot help but think - so many books to read, so many wines to taste, so many places to visit, so much music to hear, so many fine places at which to dine ... and so little time in which to do all of those things.

So poetic ... yet vaguely depressing. I really need a smiley here: :wink:

Adding a belated point, I note that these 16 wines represent about 19 percent of the 84 wines that I have formally reported in Wine Advisor articles this year. That's a bit higher than the 5-10 percent I guesstimated on the poll. Mea culpa ...
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Postby Lior Yogev » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:28 pm

Are there wines from both lists that are imported to Israel, besides the Alamos (don't like their reds) and the Trapiche (not bad IMO) ?
Lior Yogev
Wine guru

Postby Daniel Rogov » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:35 pm

Lior, Hi.....

From my list: Marques de Caceres, Donnafugata, Rosemount, Bodegas Esmeralda, Concha y Toro.
From Robin's list: Luigi Bosca, Trapiche and Norton

Do, however, expect the prices to be at least somewhat higher in Israel than in the USA.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Lior Yogev » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:56 pm

I thought from Caceres only the crianza and the reserva are imported (and the lovely rose). I'll ask Uri next time I meet him.

I'll keep an eye for the Italians. Yes, I expected it would be more expansive in here, such as with all alcohol beverages, wines included.

Thanks,
Lior.
Lior Yogev
Wine guru

Postby Loweeel » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:10 pm

Wines under $10 (sometimes) that I've had in the last year or so and liked:

2005 Boekenhoutskloof The Wolf Trap ($6.99 at one store)
Phenomenal until about 6 months ago, nice meat and bacon fat with some underlying fruit. Smooth and a ton of body -- the most I've ever had at that price point. Very old world, with the fruit in the background behind some meat aged in a cigar box. just starting to decline but still quite tasty. DR 89; GV 89+

2005 Concannon Petite Sirah Limited Release (though the release is anything but limited -- lists anywhere from $12-15 on the east coast, cheaper out west, where I've seen it for $8-9 last Feb. Even on the East Coast, I've seen it marked down to $10 with a club card from $14 or $15 at supermarkets here in VA, which is when I stock up)
WSJ best value PS in their tasting. Really nice blue fruits, some black as well, a bit of cream and orange rind. A phenomenal value. Give it 2 hours in a decanter.

2005 Georges DuBoeuf Morgon Jean Descombes (I bought at $9.89, available here for 8.59, but they require a minimum shipment of 1 case total)
Like the Wolf Trap, starting to fade a little bit, but it is showing better than the WT at the moment, being 6 months younger (remember the hemispheres!) and having more fruit to start out with. Tanzer 89; DR loved it at 91(!), but his drinking window is closing...
http://PSychospath.com -- The PSychos' Path: the long road to being crazy about Petite Sirah
Loweeel
Ultra geek

Postby Jeff_Dudley » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:10 pm

Loweeel,

"...WSJ best value PS in their tasting"

What is WSJ ? I must have missed something sorry.
"No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time."

James A. Baldwin
Jeff_Dudley
Ultra geek

Postby Ken Schechet » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:20 pm

First, WSJ = Wall Street Journal, who publish a very good and very influential wine column every Friday.

Although I have gone up in price lately, I am always looking for a good $10 wine. Rogov, I see both you and Robin have discovered Mendoza, Argentina which is a great source for wines at this price. Altos Las Hormigas is a really good Malbec if you can find it. My vote for the best $10 wine out there. Also, try any Torrontes from Argentina. It's a very nice aromatic white wine that's completely under the radar and easy to find for $10. Argentina and South Africa are two countries who make good wine and whose currencies have done badly of late. Bargain City!

In general, I look for wines that are not popular with the general public (Chenin Blanc, Beaujolais, Petit Syrah, Muscadet, Some Rieslings, etc), and places that are not well known (regions of Spain, Italy, and even France) for bargains. You never know exactly what's available where you are, but look for Albarinos from Bias Baixas in Spain (and don't forget Spanish Cavas), Nero d' Avola and Montepulciano D' Abruzzo from less known regions of Italy, Chenin Blanc from South Africa, and look hard for lesser Bordeaux. Some are very good and you can find them for under $10 if you try.

The old world has been making good everyday wines for centuries and that's a good place to explore.
Ken
My Indian name is "Walks With Wine".
Ken Schechet
Ultra geek

Postby Matilda L » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:26 am

Another question, of course, is what you can buy for under $10. A wine that costs $10 or under in one country may cost more in another. I was reminded of this by Ken's comment about wines from Mendoza in the under $10 bracket. We see some wines from this part of the world in bottle shops but they don't cost under $10.

Matilda
Matilda L
Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Postby Tim York » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:21 am

Here in Belgium, the equivalent of $ 10 (€ 7,32 today) no longer gets us very far. There are some drinkable but mostly not very interesting wines in the supermarkets under € 5 and one or two even under € 4. For something a bit distinctive, it is quite a search.

The generic Côtes du Rhône from two of my favourite producers, Oratoire Saint-Martin and Réméjeanne, are close to this € 7-8 barrier and anything more ambitious is well above.

Decent Loire cuvées from CabFranc and Chenin, as well as Sancerre and Pouilly-Fumé, now come to more than this, though Yannick Amirault has one near € 9. Touraine Sauvignon blanc from Chidaine still costs about € 6 and was brilliant in 2002, the last year I bought some. Decent Muscadet can also be found for € 6-7.

Supermarkets offer some pretty white Bordeaux, e.g. Ch. Bonnet and Ch. Roquefort, at about € 7 and a lucky dip sometimes turns up a decent red, e.g. Ch. Haut Redon.

In Languedoc the excellent Mas Champart lists has a good Saint-Chinian cuvée at close to € 8. There are probably others which I have not tried.

I don't find much of interest from Italy below this barrier except for two nice Montepulciano d'Abruzzo cuvées from Citra. The basic Masciarelli is about € 9 as is my stand-by Chianti Colli Senesi from Farnetella.

Lucky dip also found me a very pretty Portuguese white Q. de Bons Ventos, on which I wrote a WTN recently, for less than € 5.
Tim York
Tim York
Wine guru

Postby Jeff_Dudley » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:38 pm

I guess I don't buy anything for myself priced below $10, though I won't hesitate to buy something from this level for a party of less discriminating imbibers. You know the types: "Uuhhh, gimme dat red" and "I'm adding some 7-up because this is so dry".

I will admit to watching the sales clerk ring up $ 6.99 per bottle for a case of Rieussec just a couple years back, but that's a different type of under ten dollars.
"No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time."

James A. Baldwin
Jeff_Dudley
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:35 pm

Jeff_Dudley wrote:"I'm adding some 7-up because this is so dry".

The only one who can do that and survive in my house is one sister-in-law. And for her it's no problem because there is always a bottle of semi-dry Emerald Riesling in the frig anticipating her visits.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Next

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum