World Wine Report 2009 Released: Israel Does Very Well!!!

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

World Wine Report 2009 Released: Israel Does Very Well!!!

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:26 am

Tom Stevenson's Wine Report, 2009 has just been released. Among the pleasures of my own life is being the one to write the chapter on Israeli wines for this annual book (now in its sixth release). And one of the sub-pleasures is suggesting to Tom candidates for his list of the 100 most exciting release of the past year. Israel has always done well in that list – with either three or four entries – and considering the size of our country and our industry, that's quite an accomplishment. This year, however, Israel did even better and is one of the very few wine producing areas in the world to be represented by five wines.

The Israeli wines listed as Stevenson's choices as "most exciting" of the year are:

Yatir, Yatir Forest, 2004
Carmel, Limited Edition, 2004
Recanati, Special Reserve, 2004
Golan Heights Winery, Cabernet Sauvignon, Elrom Vineyard, 2003
Clos de Gat, Syrah, Sikra, 2004

I've received phone calls from several winery CEOs who wanted to thank me for submitting their wines. The thanks are mine. Critics love nothing more than finding, tasting, drinking and reporting on fine wines.
Attachments
2009stevens.jpg
2009stevens.jpg (20.57 KiB) Viewed 912 times
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: World Wine Report 2009 Released: Israel Does Very Well!!!

Postby Stephen W » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:56 am

I understand they chose 5 wines for listing. How many did you submit? For example was Katzrin 03 released this year or last year? Can you elaborate a little more. What was your 10 most exciting Israeli wines released this year?
Gmar Chatima Tova to all the members
Stephen W
Wine geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:55 am

Steve, Hi.....

I do not submit a personal list of "most exciting" wines, my own being a list of the wines that I consider the "best" of the year. What I do is to suggest to Tom what I consider the most exciting. There is obviously some overlap between the two lists. This year my submitted list was of the five wines that were then selected as Tom tasted through the 150 or so that had been submitted from the world over.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:03 pm

Several people in Israel have asked about the best way to obtain Tom's 2009 book. The book will be officiallly released in the USA on 20 October and best bet for ordering will be through Amazon. Try the link at http://www.amazon.com/Wine-Report-2009/ ... 729&sr=1-1

For those who can order from Amazon in the U.K., the book is already available and can be ordered at http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wine-Report-200 ... 407&sr=8-1

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum