Vitkin

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Vitkin

Postby Pessy Haskelevich » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:47 pm

Has anyone tried Vitkin's wines? I just tasted the Pinot Noir and their White Israeli Journey and found both to be very enjoyable.

Pessy
Pessy Haskelevich
Just got here

Re: Vitkin

Postby Harry J » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:57 pm

bsd
Vitkin is kosher?
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby David Raccah » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:30 pm

No Vitkin is not kosher. I have asked many people including Assaf Paz about it and it turns out to be a classical discussion of economics. So maybe one day - but not now.
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Daniel Rogov » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:18 pm

Pessy, Hello and Welcome to the Forum....

You will find recent comments about Vitkin and several equally recent tasting notes at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17805

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Harry J » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:18 pm

Kind of new it wasn't but based the question on pesi,s other post.
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Lior Yogev » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:46 pm

David, from what I know they are not kosher mostly because they want to make their wines themselves (this recalls a mental image of Doron's often purple hands). Besides, from what I see in the market their wines are probably the first to be sold out - so I don't see the logic of employing an external kosher staff.

As for Pessy's question - as I said before - my favourite (and most purchased) boutique winery - due to originality/pioneering in varieties, modesty (both the people and the prices), and general additude.

Vitkin Red Israeli Journey (tasted: 23/02/2008) - Fruit forward on the nose and palete, for a moment feels very smooth and a moment later gently stings the tongue, spreding some spices around. Perhaps not very complex, but delicious nonetheless. Should go well with food, such as chicken, turkey and slightly spicey fish. 65NIS, good buy.

I tasted the 05 Pino about a year ago and the 06 at passover. Both were nice, fruity/modern expressions of the variety, light and easy drinking. Although I have nothing negative to say about them, to my taste other wines the winery produces are more impressive, and specifically worth pursuing is the Carignan, the hard-to-get Petite Sirah and the Late Harvest.

Lior.
Lior Yogev
Wine guru

Postby Gary J » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:51 am

I hear nothing but good things about Vitkin. Their wines are great, well marketed, and very well regarded. Their red journey has BIG TIME green bell pepper notes (for those that are into that kind of thing). Their Pinot is very new world style. And their wines in general are hand-made with a whole lot of love...
Wine Tasting Guy
http://winetastingguy.com/
Gary J
Ultra geek

Postby Ken Schechet » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:55 am

I visited Vitkin in June. Found the wines to be very enjoyable, as was Doron. I enjoyed White Israeli Journey there and then ordered it in a restaurant in Tel Aviv on the harbor and found it even better with food. The Pinot, as noted, is surprisingly good. But his potential star is his Riesling which hasn't been mentioned. It is a really serious wine meant to be aged. If you can get your hands on some you'll be amazed.
Ken
My Indian name is "Walks With Wine".
Ken Schechet
Ultra geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum