Wines Enjoyed last week (Sept 14-20,2008)

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Wines Enjoyed last week (Sept 14-20,2008)

Postby Michael Greenberg » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:02 pm

To start the week I had an inexpensive Yvan Mau Merlot 2003 -it was decent about an 85-86,but nothing worth commenting on...

Later in the week,I had a truly outstanding wine--I say 5 out of 5 stars,97+ ---it was:

GNARLIER HEAD OLD VINE ZIN 2005 ,Dry Creek Valley,Sommer's Vineyard ,California--a really great Zinfandel..

My impressions--warm aromas of blueberry,boysenberry,spiced black plums waft from the glass to the nose to entice you for what's coming to the palate..Then the flavours of Bing cherry ,spice box and a sweet berry with briar notes and some well-integrated oak mix with an acidiic zesty assault on the palate which is actually even more discernable on the rebound and delayed reaction taste coming AFTER the finish..simply remarkable! This rebound action to the tongue after the gul-down leaves hits the nerve sensors of your tongue from the back to the front --you get great defined fruit flavours that rip with tickling acidity,and it lasts and lasts . Full-bodied, full textured, layered complexity. What more can you ask for ...stunning achievement...this is winemaking at the highest level. I paid $27.95 cdn at Vintages --I can truly say worth every penny--in fact great QPR for a GREAT wine.
Michael Greenberg
Ultra geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum