Israel Harvest 2008 (and '06 & '07)...

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Israel Harvest 2008 (and '06 & '07)...

Postby Gary J » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:13 am

We talked about this topic several weeks (months) ago. At the time it had been brought up that this years harvest started early.

Is there anyone out there (Rogov) that can provide any kind of update on how the harvest went/is going?

Did it all happen early? Did it start early, but then last long? Did the fruit have the desired long hang time, or did the early harvest translate into a short & less desirable growing season???

And as long as we are talking about harvest '08, maybe we can visit the last 2 vintages from Israel as well. It has been well documented that the 2005 vintage was special throughout much of Europe, including Israel. 2 years later, how does '06 appear? And 1 year later, how about '07?

Thanks to any & all...
Wine Tasting Guy
http://winetastingguy.com/
Gary J
Ultra geek

Re: Israel Harvest 2008 (and '06 & '07)...

Postby Daniel Rogov » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:03 pm

Gaby, Hi....

Following are my Israel vintage ratings for the years in question. My usual proviso - vintage ratings are generalizations at their most vulgar. Useful only within certain guidelines.

Best
Rogov

2008 Tentative Vintage Rating Red Wines 88 White Wines 87

An early harvest following a mild and dry winter and a warm spring, the harvest extended somewhat in higher altitude areas. Good yields and a vintage of overall high quality, a modicum better for reds than whites in most areas.

2007 Vintage Rating Red Wines 86, White Wines 84

A dry winter followed by a cold spring and finally a warm, completely dry summer through the end of October. A somewhat longer than usual harvest period of nearly fifteen weeks gave lower than usual yields but a vintage of overall good but far from excellent quality, somewhat better for reds than whites.

2006 Vintage Rating Red Wines 87, White Wines 85

A low yield harvest of not overly exciting quality. Probably better for reds than whites but a year in which many of the top-of-the line series and single-vineyard wines will not be released from this vintage.

2005 Vintage Rating Red Wines 90, White Wines 90

One of the most promising years in the last decade, with a prolonged harvest of overall high quality, exceptionally good in many parts of the country for reds and whites alike. Barrel and advance tastings reveal wines of excellent balance, structure and aging potential.
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Gary J » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:46 am

Thanks Rogov.

Any other feedback on Israel harvest 2008????

For US based people; this is a shmittah year and I understand that Israeli wines from 2008 will be hard to come by as many Israeli producers are passing on exports given the possible challenges of seelig said shmittah wines...

So 2008 appears to be better than 2006 & 2007 huh??...
Wine Tasting Guy
Gary J
Ultra geek

Postby Menachem S » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:27 am

can we see 2003 and 2004 for comparison too please?

Thanks
Menachem S
Wine guru

Postby Warren B » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:11 am

Gary J wrote:Thanks Rogov.

Any other feedback on Israel harvest 2008????

For US based people; this is a shmittah year and I understand that Israeli wines from 2008 will be hard to come by as many Israeli producers are passing on exports given the possible challenges of seelig said shmittah wines...

This is true but....Yarden and other producers in the Golan were permitted in previous Shmittah years to produce and send wines with certification from R' Aurbach of Teveriah as " Otzar Bais Din " because of the questionable status halachicly of that area of Israel with regards to Shmittah. As witnessed by the label on the Yarden 2001 Ortal Merlot.

Perhaps Daniel would be kind enough to ask the wineries about the '08 production with regards to this.
Warren B
Wine geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:27 pm

Menachem S wrote:can we see 2003 and 2004 for comparison too please?

Menachem, Hi....

2004 Vintage Rating Red Wines 89; White Wines 91

A short and hectic harvest but an excellent crop. Barrel tastings and early releases show greatest strength for whites but good concentration and intensity for reds. Best wines are elegant and cellar-worthy.

2003 Vintage Rating Red Wines 90; White Wines 90

An excellent vintage year for both reds and whites, with advance tastings revealing many intense and concentrated but elegant and age-worthy reds. Best whites released are drinking nicely now and will cellar comfortably for another year or two.
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Daniel Rogov » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:48 pm

Warren B wrote:Perhaps Daniel would be kind enough to ask the wineries about the '08 production with regards to this (shnat shmita).

Warren, Hi.....

A problematic time to be making inquiries at the wineries right now because they are in the midst of the most hectic part of the harvest and because the high holidays are coming up quite quickly now. I would estimate that despite quite a bit of turmoil in the country about the 2008 harvest several months ago, most of the larger and medium-sized wineries (let's say anywhere from 500,000 bottles annually and more) will follow past procedure. Unless I hear otherwise, I would think that a valid guideline for the upcoming wines.

For those not in the know, according to the kosher laws, within Israel every seventh year is considered a shnat shmita - that is to say, a sabbatical year for all agricultural fields including vineyards. During that year it is technically impossible to make wine from grapes the vineyards of which are owned by Jews and for that wine to be declared kosher. One of the methods of dealing with this has been to technically sell the land to either a Christian or a Moslem and then to "buy" the grapes from that person. All of this is done under special contracts of course.

Some observant Jews go by the letter of the word and will not harvest their grapes that year, rather using the year to cut the grapes, to let them fall to the ground in order to re-fertilize the soil. Owners of boutique wineries who feel this way may make a few experimental wines and do some experiental work with the grapes in order to continue their learning but they will not sell nor serve those wines except for tasting purposes. Others, often equally observant, will accept the system of "selling" the land and buying the grapes, that usually in accord with one or more various rabbinical authorities.

The problem that arises, especially with export to the UK and the USA is that many individuals but even more restaurants and catering establishments at which wine is served, will not accept this method and simply will not purchase wine from shmita (sabbatical) years.

A person who considers him/herself Jewish by virtue of ethnic, social, moral and social reasons or in some cases by formal conversion but is not observant or observant at either the Conservative or Reform level, much of this seems like a tempest in a teapot. To the owners of wineries, however, the issue is of major importance because of the potential of having a great deal of wine left unsold in their warehouses.

I do hope this clarifies the issues somewhat for those of our many non-Jewish readers. With respect to all, regardless of their level of observance, there is a good chance that at least some of what I have said above will be controversial. If I have erred in facts, I would warmly welcome corrections, but as always I would suggest that the forum is not the place for a prolonged Talmudic dissertation on the law and its interpretation.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Gary J » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:18 am

Daniel Rogov wrote:A problematic time to be making inquiries at the wineries right now because they are in the midst of the most hectic part of the harvest and ...

Best
Rogov

This actually answers my question to some degree. So things are heating up harvest-wise right now? They are still harvesting? Not only do I want to know how the harvest is coming along, but I am coming to Israel in about 2 weeks and want to know where things stand (and might be) with regards to the harvest season.

Thanks and ANY other info. is of course as always appreciated!
Wine Tasting Guy
Gary J
Ultra geek

Postby Ehud W » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:10 am

Gary Hi,

I am sure it does NOT represent all other wineries but Bravdo (Carmei Yosef) announced they finished (!) harvesting (Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Chardonnay) already. It took me, at least, by surprise, though one can't forget their sub-low location, at the foot of Yoav & Yehuda hills.

If that is typical to others - time will tell.
Ehud
Ehud W
Ultra geek

Postby Lior Yogev » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:13 pm

Ehud, maybe this could shed some light on why their reds are greener than the average (at least to my taste), and also feel less ripe than the average (the second I find as an advantage, the first not).

Lior.
Lior Yogev
Wine guru

Postby Gary J » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:52 am

Interesting thoughts Ehud & Lior. Although I must say, I have always found the wines of Bravdo to be quite ripe. That said, I am hopeful that the switch to kosher and the consequent expansion of winemaking will not affect the quality of their wines.

I did hear from a winemaker who told me that he is still waiting for a vineyard in the Galillee. He is anticipating another week before harvesting. But I gather that vineyards in the North are generally harvested later than those in much of the rest of the country.

Shana Tova to all!
Wine Tasting Guy
Gary J
Ultra geek

Postby Josh Patt » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:48 am

Gary J wrote:I did hear from a winemaker who told me that he is still waiting for a vineyard in the Galillee. He is anticipating another week before harvesting. But I gather that vineyards in the North are generally harvested later than those in much of the rest of the country.

Shana Tova to all!

I wonder how the rain we had this past week affected the grapes still on the vines. It's unusual to get significant rain this early in the season.

Josh
Josh Patt
Ultra geek

Postby Gary J » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:11 pm

Josh Patt wrote:I wonder how the rain we had this past week affected the grapes still on the vines. It's unusual to get significant rain this early in the season.

Good question. I gather that rain has two possible (adverse) affects.

The first being that it can lead to rot. And the second that it can knock berries off the vine. But I'm the farthest thing from a viticulturist and welcome any thoughts from those IN THE KNOW...
Wine Tasting Guy
Gary J
Ultra geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum