A Mini-Tasting With Remy (Not the Chef, The Importer)

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

A Mini-Tasting With Remy (Not the Chef, The Importer)

Postby Daniel Rogov » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:33 pm

I attended a tasting yesterday (Sunday, 14 Sept 2008) at the offices of Israeli importer Mincol. A potpourri of wines in good company. Further information and/or purchases can be made by phoning 03 6874616. My tasting notes follow.

Best
Rogov

Chateau Latrou, Rose, Fronton, 2007: A blend of 50% of the little known Negrette grape (known as Pinot St. George in California) with Syrah and Gamay flushing it out. True pink in color, light- to medium-bodied, with clean, fresh floral aromas and opening to show raspberry and watermelon fruits. Crisply dry with good balancing acidity. A charmer. Drink now. NIS 70. Score 87. (Tasted 14 Sep 2008)

Chateau Morgues du Gres, Rose, Lers Galets, Costieres de Nimes, 2007: Rose-petal pink towards orange in color, a blend of Syrah and Grenache. Medium-bodied, showing red berries, minerals and spices. Nothing complex here but a good summertime quaffer. Drink now. NIS 60. Score 86. (Tasted 14 Sep 2008)

Bodegas Casa Quemada, Sauvignon Blanc, Brinchio, Terra di Castilla, Spain, 2007: Taste this one blind and you might swear that it was a Chardonnay and not a Sauvignon Blanc. Deep golden, with pineapple, citrus and citrus peel notes, a simple but appealing quaffing wine. Drink now. NIS 60. Score 85. (Tasted 14 Sep 2008)

Chateau Morgues de Gres, Les Galets Dores, Costieres de Nimes 2007: Made from the undistinguished Grenache Gris grape, an undistinguished wine from the south of France. Opens with an appealing floral nose but the palate does not live up to the promise, the lemon and lime and tropical fruits a bit muddled and with far too generous acidity throwing it all out of balance. Drink up. NIS 60. Score 80. (Tasted 14 Sep 2008)

Christian Senez, Rose Brut Champagne, n.v.: A small-producer Champagne, and as always with the Senez wines, a unique personality that may not be for all tastes. Pale but attractive pink in color, with a short mousse and super-fine bubbles that tend to fade after too short a time in the glass. On the nose and palate an interesting – one might almost say fascinating – array of cherry, pear, anise and vanilla. A wine that some will adore and others will scorn. I seem to fall in the middle. Price unknown. Score 87. (Tasted 14 Sep 2008)

Bodegas Casa Quemada, Tempranillo, La Seniora, Tierra di Castilla, Spain, 2007: Dark cherry red towards garnet in color, medium-bodied, with soft, almost plush tannins. Reflecting its 6 months in oak with vanilla and light smoky notes, opening to show a nose and palate of cherries, berries, and sweet cedar notes. Generous and fresh, with the tannins and notes of dark chocolate rising on the finish. Drink now-2012. NIS 70. Score 88. Kosher. (Tasted 14 Sep 2008)

Chateau Larroques Versaines, Bordeaux Superieur, 2005: Royal purple in color, medium-bodied, with soft tannins and showing blackberry, blueberry and currant fruits on a soft, round background, all with light earthy-minerals leading to a medium-long finish. Best 2009-2012. NIS 130. Score 87. (Tasted 14 Sep 2008)
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: A Mini-Tasting With Remy (Not the Chef, The Importer)

Postby Lior Yogev » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:26 am

Thanks for the notes, interesting read (for me it's usually more informative when prices are listed, but I guess that's up to the importer).

I'm guessing the GHW wines in the middle found their way to this post by accident :wink:

Lior.
Lior Yogev
Wine guru

Re: A Mini-Tasting With Remy (Not the Chef, The Importer)

Postby Daniel Rogov » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:54 am

Cut and pasted a whole page instead of just the notes involved. The post above has been corrected.

Thanks
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum