Battle / Friday Night wine

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Battle / Friday Night wine

Postby Harry J » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:46 am

bsd
Worth fighting for, words we sometimes hear or say.Battles for a cause or an idea
or sometime for the very ability to go on.Some won, some not.
Sometimes with passion and sometimes we get weary.
And of course then there are those that we face within.We must keep fighting,
It aint over till its over.*
Have a good one; h

Dedicated to the memory of Dr.Chuck(Pesach Chaim)Stillman who passed away a week ago.
Harry J
Wine guru

Re: Battle / Friday Night wine

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:04 pm

Harry, Hi....

It's now just about 7 p.m. in Tel Aviv and I suppose that the Shabbat has started. Thus appropriate to report that right now its a bottle of Gamla Brut that is in the process of being comfortably consumed, would you believe along with crackers spread with chopped chicken liver (yes, lots of onions, a bit of chopped egg white and plenty of pepper)

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Matt Walter » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:08 pm

Shabbat Shalom!

Tonight it is just the family for dinner. Not sure yet what we'll open. Perhaps a Peraj Petita?

Matt
Matt Walter
Ultra geek

Postby Doug Z » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:41 am

and my thought...

23:25...if u go into your neighbor's vineyard..yes go ahead, pick some grapes and enjoy them, but dont put any away in your pocket.

u can enjoy without being greedy. if only our politicians could understand this.

last night we opened again the second bottle of galil's barbera (i had bought 2 last week) and am again thrilled that u can get such a good wine with such little expense. this time with chicken fricassee (my mum's recipe, may she rest in peace.... cooked with beef meatballs and stewed in beer, God bless her soul)
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen
Doug Z
Ultra geek

Postby Matt Walter » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:39 pm

We ended up with a bottle of Galil Mountain CS 2005 served with a shepherds pie and a spicy chicken. Very nice way to start Shabbat!

Alas, no wine for Shabbat lunch. Our hosts were not wine drinkers. Planning on having some wine at a BBQ tomorrow though.

Shavuah Tov L'kulam!
Matt
Matt Walter
Ultra geek

Postby Yoni M » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:18 am

Hi Harry,

Like Doug, we enjoyed a Galil Mountain, Barbera, 2006 over the course of Shabbat. It was an excellent pairing for grilled London broil (marinaded in olive oil, soy sauce, honey, and minced garlic) and stood up very nicely to spaghetti squash tossed with my homemade tomato sauce.

Wishing a good week to all,
Yoni
Yoni M
Wine geek

Postby Stephen W » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:27 am

Shavua Tov
Erev Shabbat a bottle Cab 2003 Reserve from Ruth. Very enjoyable and drinking well.
Best Steve
Stephen W
Wine geek

Postby Billy M » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:41 am

Friday night just the family so I began with a 2002 Katzrin Chardonnay. Golden honeyed color, a hint of sweetness, still drinking nicely. Then a 2005 Galil Mountain Pinot Noir, dont know if I was just tired but I cant really say that I sensed the wine opening up at all. Shabat morning we had a lunch honoring the installion of our new Rav. So I brouht the 01 and 03 Galil Mountain Yiron. The 01 was drinking well though throwing off sediment and perhaps a bit bitter because of it. The 03 on the otherhand was silky smooth and really drinking fabulously. I strongly suspect that the contrast played a large part in the higher appreciation. Someone else at the table breought the 02 Segal Dishon, still a favorite of mine. All in all a beautiful community event.
(aka newlawyer)
Is this stuff on the level or are you just making it up as you go along? (Groucho)
Billy M
Wine geek

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:47 pm

I also had the Yiron 2001 (working my way through a recently purchased case at $10 a bottle). Great wine and drinking well but, as noted by Bill, throwing sediment and the fruit and other flavors somewhated muted. Still, very enjoyable!
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Menach N » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:00 am

Hi
Friday night i had a Yarden Merlot 1999 you can see notes here viewtopic.php?f=29&t=18411&p=157885#p157885
by day i had a Baron Herzog Januesse 2007, .......... when chilled very well, ok.
:lol:
a wonderfull week to all
regards
Menach
Menach N
Ultra geek

Postby Stephen W » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:12 am

Matt Walter wrote:Shabbat Shalom!

Tonight it is just the family for dinner. Not sure yet what we'll open. Perhaps a Peraj Petita?

Matt

Mat did you open it? I have a few so I am interested as to what you thought.
Steve
Stephen W
Wine geek

Postby Matt Walter » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:10 am

Stephen W wrote:
Matt Walter wrote: Perhaps a Peraj Petita?

Matt

Mat did you open it? I have a few so I am interested as to what you thought.
Steve

Did not open it this shabbat, but we had had a bottle several months ago and enjoyed it thoroughly! Not as big and complex as the Peraj Ha'abib, but a lovely wine nonetheless!

Matt
Matt Walter
Ultra geek

Postby Jaicky T » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:36 am

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=17598&p=148994&hilit=peraj+petita#p148994

Steve,

Rogov posted his TN's on the Petita a while back. The reference above should work. I just picked this up for $18 plus shipping at onlinekosher wine.com I've had this three times in the last couple of months and always outstanding.
Jaicky T
Ultra geek

Postby Stephen W » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:44 am

Yaakov T wrote:http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=17598&p=148994&hilit=peraj+petita#p148994

Steve,

Rogov posted his TN's on the Petita a while back. The reference above should work. I just picked this up for $18 plus shipping at onlinekosher wine.com I've had this three times in the last couple of months and always outstanding.

Thanks in Israel they are Sh 75. I only tried it at a tasting but on that tasting I bought some. I thought it was good value. Cant always drink expensive wines. I still have the 03 Peraj Ha'abib which I also like very much and now bought the 05.
Best
Stephen W
Wine geek

Postby Harry J » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:16 pm

Tried the carmel regional cab shiraz 2005 ,seemed like the cab & shiraz blended so tightly together neither stood out.
For lunch opened a yarden chardonay 1995.Yes 1995!The nose was finely perfumed.Flavors of peach,with buttery nuances & a touch of oak.Definitely still drinkable.h
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Stephen W » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:03 am

Harry J wrote:Tried the carmel regional cab shiraz 2005 ,seemed like the cab & shiraz blended so tightly together neither stood out.
For lunch opened a yarden chardonay 1995.Yes 1995!The nose was finely perfumed.Flavors of peach,with buttery nuances & a touch of oak.Definitely still drinkable.h

Hi Harry I mentioned I had a bottle and will try it Shabbat maybe. Did you open it before drinking? How long?
Thanks
Steve
Stephen W
Wine geek

Postby Harry J » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:37 am

Hi Steve.Personaly I dont open bottles before ready to use,as I like to experience the initial flavors when opening & then discern the difference working through the bottle.Let us know howou enjoyed it.h
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Z Spigelman » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:54 am

This past Friday night, our Shabbat meal began with kiddush on the traditional Carmel Concord - can't break old habits. Along with the home-baked challah, chicken soup, turkey breast in sweet & sour sauce, beef (marinated in beer) stew, and several salads and side-dishes prepared by my wife Rachel, we opened a Galil Mt. Avivim 2006 and a Barkan Superieur CS 2003. Following the singing of Shabbat Zemirot and a Dvar Torah delivered by one of our children, this excellent meal concluded with a cherry cake topped with meringue, accompanied by the Tabor Mescha 2005 dessert wine. Good food and wine add to the special Shabbat atmosphere! There is nothing else like Shabbat when you have the opportunity to take your mind off of your daily routine and problems, spending time with the family and relaxing.

Zvi
Z Spigelman
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum