WTN: Castel, "C" Chardonnay-A Vertical Tasting 2000-2007

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

WTN: Castel, "C" Chardonnay-A Vertical Tasting 2000-2007

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:02 am

Devoted entirely to Chardonnay wines, those from Israel, Burgundy, Napa, and Tuscany, there was a sub-motive to this mornings tastings, that being a vertical tasting of the "C" Chardonnay wines of Israel's Castel winery. Because of that the tasting was broken into two distinct sections – the first in which Chardonnay-based wines from various vintages were tasted regardless of country of origin but within a two year vintage range, those including the Castel wines and the second a vertical entirely of the Castel wines from 2000-2007. The second part of the tasting was obviously not blind and, after having tasted each of the Castel wines twice, I made a comparison of my tasting notes from the separate tastings. Special thanks to Eli Ben Zaken of Castel for sending me a bottle of the 2007 wine for this tasting.

Best
Rogov

Castel, "C", Chardonnay, Blanc du Castel, 2007: Gold, with green and orange tints, deeply floral, full-bodied and with generous but not overpowering oak that parts comfortably to reveal a complex array of citrus peel, summer fruits, hazelnuts, vanilla and crisp minerals. Lively and complex but somewhat tight at this stage so if you drink now consider decanting 30-40 minutes before pouring. Drink now-2011. Score 90. K (Re-tasted 12 Sep 2008)

Castel, "C", Chardonnay, Blanc du Castel, 2006: Showing marginally better than at earlier tastings. Deep golden in color, slow to open, with aromas and flavors hidden for at least ten minutes and then showing now as in its extreme youth a somewhat generous dose of wood. On that background, notes of green apples, citrus, buttery hazelnuts, nutmeg and raisins. Full-bodied, concentrated and intense but lacking vibrancy. Drink now–2009. Score 88. K (Re-tasted 12 Sep 2008)

Castel, "C", Chardonnay, Blanc du Castel, 2005: Bright gold, full-bodied and concentrated, with light but not imposing buttery and spicy sensations. Rich, complex and opulent, with layers of citrus, figs, pears, summer fruits and toasty oak. Shows finesse and elegance. Drink now–2010. Score 92. K (Re-tasted 12 Sep 2008)

Castel, "C", Chardonnay, Blanc du Castel, 2004: Damp golden-straw in color, medium to full-bodied, with gentle oak influences highlighting lively citrus, melon and pear fruits. A mature Chardonnay, long and generous with an appealing hint of spices that rises on the fiinsh. Drink now. Score 91. K (Re-tasted 12 Sep 2008)

Castel, "C", Chardonnay, Blanc du Castel, 2003: Mature but showing very nicely, with a distinct Burgundian personality. Full-bodied and generous, with ripe pear, citrus, green apple and roasted hazelnuts coming together on the nose and palate and leading to a long, near-buttery finish. Lovely but not for further cellaring. Drink up. Score 91. K (Re-tasted 12 Sep 2008)

Castel, “C”, Chardonnay, 2002: A full-bodied, elegant Burgundy style white, showing citrus, pineapple, green apple, toasted bread and fig aromas and flavors along with a comfortably nutty finish. Drink up. Score 91. (Re-tasted 12 Sep 2008)

Castel, “C”, Chardonnay, 2001: Past its peak now and not showing as rich now as it did during its youth. Still on the nose and palate summer fruits, citrus peel and toasty oak along with well-roasted notes of roasted Brazil nuts. Not for further cellaring. Drink up. Score 88. (Re-tasted 12 Sep 2008)

Castel, "C" Chardonnay, 2000: Elegant and remarkably Burgundy-like in its youth but now showing its age, going darker, its fig and pear fruits taking on notes of caramel and toasted brioche. Well past its peak and showing only a few hints of its former excellence. Drink up. Score 86. (Re-tasted 12 Sep 2008)
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: WTN: Castel, "C" Chardonnay-A Vertical Tasting 2000-2007

Postby Jan Schultink » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:42 pm

Thank you Rogov. I really like this wine, but am very careful purchasing older vintages. I bought a 2001 a few months ago in Tiv Taam and it was totally gone. These notes only apply to perfect storage conditions.
Jan Schultink
Ultra geek

Re: WTN: Castel, "C" Chardonnay-A Vertical Tasting 2000-2007

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:02 pm

Jan, Hi.....

Indeed, all tasting notes relate to ideal or at least near-ideal storage conditions. In my own case, for example, I strive to purchase (or have purchased for me) wines either directly from the winery or as soon as possible after they have arrived at those wine shops that I trust. After that, my own cellaring conditions are as close to ideal as can be hoped for.
And wines that have been delivered in the heat of summer while transported in the baggage compartments of cars or in the back of unrefrigerated vans are tasted as soon as possible.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum