WTN: Two from Sea Horse

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

WTN: Two from Sea Horse

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:42 pm

Just making their way to market now.

Sea Horse, Zinfandel, Lennon, 2006: Medium to full-bodied, this blend of 92% Zinfandel and 8% Petite Sirah shows soft and round with gently mouth-coating tannins and reflects its 16 months in American oak with moderate levels of spices and vanilla. On the nose and palate red plums, wild berries and hints of Mediterranean herbs, all lingering nicely. Approachable now but best 2009-2012. NIS 125. Score 89. (Re-tasted 10 Sep 2008)

Sea Horse, Syrah, Antoine, 2006: Garnet towards royal-purple in color, medium to full-bodied, with near-sweet tannins and generous pepper from the barriques in which it developed. Opens to show appealing raspberry and cassis fruits on a light herbal and leathery background, leading to a spicy and moderately-long finish. . Drink now–2011. NIS 125. Score 89. (Re-tasted 10 Sep 2008)

P.S. Both wines will be discounted to NIS 100 when bought by the case of 12.
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: WTN: Two from Sea Horse

Postby Ehud W » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:55 pm

Rogov, Hi

Have you tasted the wine of Doron & Ben Special Barrel vintage 2006, made by Zeev?
About 600 bottles (so it's actually 2 barrels, first time after 4 years of a single barrel) of CS/PS/Syrah blend.
Ehud
Ehud W
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:33 pm

Ehud, Hi....

Memory, which is not always perfect, tells me that I did taste this during my visit to the winery in February of this year. I recall not making a tasting note because it was a private order (special cuvee if we like). Would love to taste this one once its in the hands of Ben and Doron.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Gary J » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:44 am

Forum regular Gary contributed to the Sea Horse wines of 2006 ;)

I must admit that while I like to think of myself as having been an assistant, I was really a simple cellar rat. But that does not detract from my desire to sample the fruits of that harvests labor nonetheless.

When tasting these wines think of the extra special attention given to them (many a punch down amongst lots of other duties) by an eager and very green wine lover!
Wine Tasting Guy
http://winetastingguy.com/
Gary J
Ultra geek

Postby Loweeel » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:40 pm

Gary J wrote:Forum regular Gary contributed to the Sea Horse wines of 2006 ;)

I must admit that while I like to think of myself as having been an assistant, I was really a simple cellar rat. But that does not detract from my desire to sample the fruits of that harvests labor nonetheless.

When tasting these wines think of the extra special attention given to them (many a punch down amongst lots of other duties) by an eager and very green wine lover!

I am very, very, very, very jealous. I still get a little misty-eyed when I remember the taste of the Munch '06 barrel sample that I had last summer.
http://PSychospath.com -- The PSychos' Path: the long road to being crazy about Petite Sirah
Loweeel
Ultra geek

Postby Gary J » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:53 pm

[/quote]I am very, very, very, very jealous. I still get a little misty-eyed when I remember the taste of the Munch '06 barrel sample that I had last summer.[/quote]

Thanks. The inside scoop on that Petit Sirah is that there is one vineyard in the Judean Hills region that has old vine PS. Much (if not all) of the single varietal PS made in Israel comes from that vineyard. As to what the winemaker then does with that fruit, well that is up to each individuals palate.....
Wine Tasting Guy
http://winetastingguy.com/
Gary J
Ultra geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum