WTN - 2007 Domaine du Castel 'C' Blanc du Castel

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

WTN - 2007 Domaine du Castel 'C' Blanc du Castel

Postby Jan Schultink » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:53 pm

I never tasted the 2006 (with controversial low Rogov scores), but the 2007 seems to be back in full force. Not sure about aging potential though. Rogov, what do you think?

2007 Domaine du Castel 'C' Blanc du Castel - Israel, Judean Hills (9/5/2008)
Light green/straw in color. Opening with a floral nose that gets more interesting the longer the wine is open. Peach, salty nutmeg, citrus and honey. A muted, round and soft "easy drinking" background (low acidity, gentle oak) reminding me of the 1997 white Burgundies just after they were released. A long finish with a slight hint of vanilla. Elegant and enjoyable, too little information to judge this wine's aging potential. (91 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
Jan Schultink
Ultra geek

Re: WTN - 2007 Domaine du Castel 'C' Blanc du Castel

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:11 pm

Jan, Hi....

We're not that far apart on our tasting notes.

Best
Rogov

Castel, "C", Chardonnay, Blanc du Castel, 2007: Gold, with green and orange tints, deeply floral, full-bodied and with generous but not overpowering oak that parts comfortably to reveal a complex array of citrus peel, summer fruits, hazelnuts, vanilla and crisp minerals. Lively and complex. Drink now-2011. Score 90. K
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Jan Schultink » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:20 pm

Thank you Daniel.
Jan Schultink
Ultra geek

Postby Ehud W » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:39 pm

Jan Schultink wrote:I never tasted the 2006 (with controversial low Rogov scores)...

Jan, I know we all remember the different views of different people/critics/magazines regarding this wine ("C" 2006) so in order to balance some of it let me, just a humble wine lover, say - it's a wonderful Chard, in par with the 2004, 2005 vintages, and though I haven't tasted the 2007 yet, I believe it is also quite similar in quality!

I say it not to challenge Rogov, but I feel some are really intimidated by his low (relatively) score for this wine, and as I said, I'd like to add some balance here, if I may.
Ehud
Ehud W
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:14 pm

Ehud, Hi....

Challenging a person is one of the most complimentary things one can do as it puts that person in the position where he/she has to check conclusions reached. The person who takes a challenge or disagreement as an insult is a person who is an ass. Quite different than an attack.

As to the challenge, I shall be doing a vertical tasting of the "C" Chardonnays that I have in my cellar in a short while and will post again after that tasting is completed.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby David Raccah » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:43 pm

Sorry - I have never loved their white wine. It has a shorter finish then is extolled about it. That said, not a bad wine, but NOWHERE near worth the expense. I would rather a nice Yarden Chard (Organic) or a Four Gates Chard. Just my 2 cents.
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Jan Schultink » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:28 am

Thank you Ehud. I did not get around tasting the 2006 because I did not stumble upon it, not because Rogov scored it low (a unusually low Rogov score is almost an invitation to taste), I will when I get a change.

I predict Rogov's vertical will come out very positive, except for aging potential

David, I like the Castel, Clos de Gat, Pelter, Recanati ("regular"), etc. wines better than Yarden Chardonnays, too much fig/nutmeg/caramel/whipped cream. Gamla Chardonnay, or even the Golan Chardonnay is OK though to go with a meal.
Jan Schultink
Ultra geek

Postby Ehud W » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:22 am

Rogov - it's very polite/nice, and at the same time professional of you to "accept the challenge"; awaiting to see the results. :idea:

David - I do respect your personal taste, but for me, as a Burgundy and Chablis lover, Castel "C" and Clos de Gat Chardonnay are not that far from the original French, and cost to the customer (agreed, not that cheap) about half the price of a Village level. To buy or not to buy, that's the (personal) question...

Jan - same-same. As for GHW, I also found their Gamla Chard much more tolerable oak-wise than their Katzrin and Odem, though I do appreciate the quality of them all, but again, personal taste...
Ehud
Ehud W
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:04 am

This morning (Friday, 12 September, 2008) I did the vertical tasting of the Castel "C" Chardonnay wines. For my tasting notes see the thread at viewtopic.php?f=29&t=18429

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum