WTN and A Rant: Laurent Perrier, Brut Rose, Kosher Edition

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

WTN and A Rant: Laurent Perrier, Brut Rose, Kosher Edition

Postby Daniel Rogov » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:19 pm

During the early evening hours of Tuesday (2 Sep 2008), I attended a press-tasting of various wines at the Ramat HaChayal branch of the Tiv Ta'am chain of stores. Among the wines I tasted was the kosher edition of the Brut Rose Champagne of Laurent Perrier. Kashrut may not be the modus operandi at Tiv Ta'am but it is certainly not a dirty word there.

Truth is that the wine is delicious but on hearing the price I could not help but wonder about just why kosher Champagnes are so much more expensive than non-kosher, not only here but the world over. More than that, nor could I help but wonder just why kosher Champagnes seem to undergo more of a markup in price between Israel and the USA than other Champagnes, the price of which have fallen dramatically in the past year or so. Considering, for example, that this wine costs betweenUS$ 85-100 in the USA, one wonders why it is going for NIS 575 (about US$ 160) here. I can assure one and all that it costs no more to ship wine from France to Israel than it does to the United States.

Understand that I am not pointing a specific finger at Tiv Ta'am (a chain of stores that I frequent often because they carry food items that no other chain in the country would dare place on their shelves). In fact, I raised this same question several days ago with regard to the kosher Champagne of de Sacy (see that thread at viewtopic.php?f=29&t=18066).

I recall the 1976 film by Sidney Lumet when a radio announcer had millions of people running to their open windows to scream at the top of the lungs "We won't take it any more". I am beginning to wonder when those to whom kashrut is important will run to their windows and their shops to cry out at the top of their lungs that they too will not take it any more.

Whatever, an excellent wine. My tasting note follows.

Best
Rogov

Laurent Perrier, Brut Rose, Champagne, n.v. (Kosher Edition): Depending on how the light hits, pink towards orange or salmon pink in color, a medium-bodied Champagne, made entirely from Pinot Noir grapes. Light notes of yeast and oak highlight a fascinating array of cherry, red berry, apple and orange peel notes. Fine, long-lasting sharp bubbles, a long mousse and a hint of yeasty white bread that rises on the long finish. Score 91. K

P.S. My tasting notes for the other wines sampled at this tasting will be posted within the next day or two.
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: WTN and A Rant: Laurent Perrier, Brut Rose, Kosher Edition

Postby Menach N » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:46 pm

Rogov hi
can you pls post also the nn K version of this champagne ?
can i have a rough estimate until whendo you think this wine will last?
would you know when did they produce this wine? was it produced only once? because beeing a "NV" how would you know if its from two years ago or from let say 8, specially if the wine has a relative short life span. (this Q can apply also on other champagne wines )
Please and Thank you !!
- Menach
Menach N
Ultra geek

Re: WTN and A Rant: Laurent Perrier, Brut Rose, Kosher Edition

Postby Daniel Rogov » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:03 pm

Menach, Hi....

The inability to predict the length of drinking windows with non-vintage Champagnes relates, as you suggest, to the lack of knowledge of when the wine was disgorged and bottled. In general it is fair to say that high quality n.v. brut Champagne (rose or not) will cellar nicely for 5 - 6 years after their release from the house.

The hope for buyers is that they know the dealer from whom they purchase well enough to believe that they have enough turnover that their wines are fairly new. In a pinch, one can ask to see the store's invoice for the wine as that will show the date of bottling and release from the winery. Not all wine stores will offer that courtesy of course. That is often why it is best not to count on cellaring n.v.Champagne for more than 2 – 3 years after purchase.

As to my most recent tasting of the regular (that is to say, non-kosher) edition of the wine, my tasting note follows.

Best
Rogov

Laurent-Perrier, Brut Rose Cuvee, Champagne, n.v.: A full-bodied, almost muscular Champagne, made entirely from Pinot Noir grapes. A long mousse, sharp, well-focused and long-lasting bubbles and with generous cherry, berry and spicy notes, all backed up by a hint of minerals. Long and generous. Drinking beautifully now. Score 92. (Re-tasted 9 Jan 2008)
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum