TN REQUEST...

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

TN REQUEST...

Postby Michael Greenberg » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:01 pm

My sister just got back from a trip to Israel --she brought me back a bottle of wine (Idid not ask her ,she probably picked it out from a wine store with some staff help as to what was supposedly a good wine) what she gave me was:THE CAVE 2004 --a red blend of 60% Cab Sauve and 40% Merlot---Rogov,can you post in reply a TN and score for this kosher for Passover Meshuval wine? From the label it appears that some subsidiary of Binyamina winery was involved in the production of this "boutique" wine and I guess they expoert it to the USA because I see Royal Wine Company is also onthe label in the back --but as far as I know we never got this wine here in Ontario Canada--so I gladly accept my sisters gift ,but I'm currious as to what he quality is for this wine...so i look forward to your reply with the tN and score.
Michael Greenberg
Ultra geek

Re: TN REQUEST...

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:58 pm

Michael, Hi....

The wine is not made by a "subsidiary" of Binyamina - it is made precisely by Binyamina and "The Cave" is simply their label attempting to show that they too own a "boutique arm". One important note - to the best of my knowledge, the wines of The Cave are not mevushal. If your bottle says to the contrary, please let me know so I can arrange a tasting. The note below is based on a kosher but not mevushal version.

Best
Rogov

The Cave, Cabernet Sauvignon-Merlot, 2004: Medium-bodied, with soft tannins integrating well with acidity and a generous dose of wood from its 26 months in French oak. Dark royal-purple in color, with aromas and flavors of red berries and cassis, with the wood and tannins rising on the finish at this stage. Drink now–2010. Score 87. K
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Eli R » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:17 pm

Michael, Hi,

In Israel this is considered another fine wine, a little overpriced.
The gimmick is that the wine is stored in a real natural cave. The winery has also produced a 10 years brandy (named XO) under the Cave label.
In Rogov's opinion, this wine belongs to the "too much wood" category thus the score range of 87-89.

I attended a vertical tasting as part of the 2004 vintage release and I could say IMHO that the wine will cellar for few more years and the following may fade in time:
with the wood and tannins rising on the finish at this stage

Eli
Eli R
Wine guru

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:31 pm

Eli, Hi....

Not at all a natural cave but man-made, built inthe sixteenth century. The cave, several hundred meters long,is nine meters high, maintains a year-round contant temperature and humidity and in this the barrels are stored. The wine itself is made at the Binyamina facilities. A charming place to visit and a fabulous setting for major events if one can make arrangements with the winery.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum