Platter 5* list request

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Platter 5* list request

Postby Janusz Omietanski » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:06 pm

Dear Friends,
about a year ago - one of our members - Peter May was so kind to share with us Platter 5* list of top South African wines for the coming year. Could we have the new one?
:roll:
Janusz Omietanski
Cellar rat

Re: Platter 5* list request

Postby Peter May » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:03 am

The Platter book is still being written.

The 5 star tasting was held on 23 August.

Tim James, CWM, is one of the tasters and he has been blogging about tasting the Platter wines this year.

He says

"
22 August 2008

Today, Friday, is one of the highlights of the Platter tasting programme – the five-star tasting. There will be about 80 wines, as far as I know, divided into broad categories, mostly varietal, and tasted blind. All the Platter tasters are invited, and most will be coming, which means about fifteen this year – more than ever before. What that means for the statistical chances of more or fewer five-star wines, I don’t know – but let’s hope that it’s not too much down to the laws of statistics, and that quality will come shining through and convince everybody equally (a rare occurrence in tastings like this, I sceptically fear).

All the tasters have, of course, had the chance to nominate wines that they felt worthy of five stars. I myself put forward just six this year – but then I wasn’t tasting a lot of the starrier properties that I had last year, mostly because I’d asked to try more wineries that I didn’t know much about, or wanted to catch up my impressions of. Of my six, looking now at the list, I see that five are white wines, just one red. One of the whites is a sweetie. Three of the six contain at least some sauvignon blanc – so much for my prejudices and their disastrous and unfair effects on my judgement!
"

(http://www.grape.co.za/TJblog/blog.htm)

So the 5 star wines will not be announced till shortly before publication which is usually November....
Peter May
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum