Do not drink water.

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Do not drink water.

Postby Birger Vejrum » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:04 am

Recieved this from a friend in Israel :P

"To my friends who enjoy a glass of wine... and those who don't.

As Ben Franklin said: In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.

In a number of carefully controlled trials, scientists have demonstrated that if we drink 1 litre of water each day, at the end of the year we would have absorbed more than 1 kilo of Escherichia coli, (E. coli) - bacteria found in feces. In other words, we are consuming 1 kilo of poop..

However, we do NOT run that risk when drinking wine & beer (or tequila, rum, whiskey or other liquor) because alcohol has to go through a purification process of boiling, filtering and/or fermenting.
Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.
Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of shit.

There is no need to thank me for this valuable information: I'm doing it as a public service"
Birger Vejrum
Ultra geek

Re: Do not drink water.

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:13 pm

Birger, Hi...

You know that you're joking and I know that you're joking but lest anyone take your post too seriously, let me make a few comments on your speculations and those of your friend.

1. It is true that Antony van Leeuenhoek discovered bacteria in the late 17th century and thus a very good chance that Benjamin Franklin knew of their existence. On the other hand Mr. Franklin, despite his charms, could not possibly have known about Escherichia coli (E. coli) because those were discovered only long after the good librarian and writer of almanacs died, in fact only in 1885 by Theodor Escherisch.

2. It is also true that E. coli is found in the intestines and feces of warm blooded animals and some strains can cause very serious, even fatal ailments. What many tend to forget when measuring the number of bacteria (E. coli or other) is that the vast majority of these bacteria, regardless of their name, are absolutely harmless to human beings. In fact some strains of E. coliproduce vitamin K and prevent the development of certain other pathogenic bacteria in the intestines.

3. As to bacteria in general, wine is hardly free of these. Happily, most of those found in wine are neutral in their effect on humans (e.g. lactic acid and malolactic acid bacteria). Wine also has the happy trait of containing several probiotic bacteria and, as anyone in the yoghurt business these days can tell you, there ain't nuttin better for you than probiotic bacteria.

4. Also worth keeping in mind that one of the reasons that many wines are free of harmful bacteria is the used of sulphites as those control the development of those bacteria in the wine. Just as a point of interest SO2 is found both in wine and in the gas that animals pass from their lower intestines.

5. Switching back to water – most modern water supply systems are far better and more bacteria free than the taste of the water might imply, the water going through multiple cycles of being filtered, chlorinated, and aerated. There might be a good deal of rust in your pipes but harmful bacteria in the water supply are not usually a major concern in modern societies. And, when the water supply system does become contaminated for a short period of time (indeed, especially by harmful strains of [/i] E.coli[/i] warnings are posted just about everyplace.

Chuckling as I'm not about to turn my back on either wine or water. Nor on women or song.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Do not drink water.

Postby Birger Vejrum » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:08 pm

Hi Daniel,

Sure it is a joke, but a funny one, from our friend in Israel that you also know.

Thanks for the information. :wink:

Ciao
Birger
Birger Vejrum
Ultra geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum