Wines we enjoyed last week(Aug17-23,2008)

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Wines we enjoyed last week(Aug17-23,2008)

Postby Michael Greenberg » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:34 pm

Again I had more beer than wine last week,so I had just 1 new bottle of wine --but what a stunner!

I had a much heralded Shiraz from the Margaret River region of Western Australia:

VOYAGER ESTATE SHIRAZ 2003--this wine was a Trophy winner (Shiraz) at the 2004 Margaret River Wine Show and it got high marks from several Australian wine critics and media::
95-Australian Gourmet Traveller Wine (june-July 2005) and 94-Jeremy Oliver,93-James Halliday,93-Tom White..and it made AGT Wine Magazine's Top100 #1 Ranked new Release (2003 Vintage);also made the Ten Highest Quality Wines of 2004 (2003 vintage) in the Sydney Morning Herald ..so this wine was well lauded and I expected a lot since it has now matured a few years...I was stunned by how good this wine is--simply terrific Shiraz and much more refined and enjoyable even than those lusty powerful Barossa type Shirazes I usually buy and cellar..

Deep crimson colour....good aromatics on the nose --hinting of forest floor,fresh blueberry and blackberry and some cdar oak..palate has flavours of great creamy richness --opulent soft dark fruits.mulberry,white pepper spice,blackberry,anise and finely integrated vanilla-oak...everything is harmoniously balanced,the tannins soft and smooth yet long,subtle acidity,but this all works seamlessly letting the flavours burst in intensity.. The Shiraz fruit was co-fermented with 2% Viognier in open fermentatiom ith selected yeast strains to promote the primary fruit charachter--fermented at 26-28 degrees to protect the aromatics and extract less tannin--the aged 60% in French and 40% American oak of mixed age (40% new,20% each of 1year,2-year and 3 yr old barrels)..
The winefinishes gorgeously with a dried apricot and tinge of black pepper
After a few years in my cellar this wine is now drinking fantastically...whether enjoyed as easy to drink in bg gulps or savoured in small long swishes in the mouth--this wine delivers great pleasures ...it simply is superb Shiraz and easily gets 94-95 marks in my books..
Michael Greenberg
Ultra geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum