Finding Favor/Friday Night Wine

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Finding Favor/Friday Night Wine

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:33 am

Harry is in Israel now, celebrating a family mitzvah. Because he is away from his computer, he asked me to post the following for him.

bsd

When someone asks for a favor,how do i react? With aprehension perhaps;
Maybe thoughts of what will it cost me?
Deep down i know when i reach a point where I'll say yes with out hesitation
I will have reached a place I need to be.

Have a good one; h
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Finding Favor/Friday Night Wine

Postby Birger Vejrum » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:05 am

Hi Daniel,

Are you going to meet with Harry?

Barbaresco "Nubiola" 2001 from Pelissero. http://www.pelissero.com/

Ciao
Birger
Birger Vejrum
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:59 am

Birger Vejrum wrote:Are you going to meet with Harry?

Birger, Hi....

I would enjoy that thoroughly (!!) and all that is required is a phone call from Harry (I'm at 050 7380351) to set a date. I fear though that his schedule may make a meeting impossible.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Birger Vejrum » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:04 am

Daniel Rogov wrote:
Birger Vejrum wrote:Are you going to meet with Harry?

Birger, Hi....

I would enjoy that thoroughly (!!) and all that is required is a phone call from Harry (I'm at 050 7380351) to set a date. I fear though that his schedule may make a meeting impossible.

Best
Rogov

Hi Daniel,

That would be a blast :wink: post pictures please :wink:

Ciao
Birger
Birger Vejrum
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:52 pm

Entirely local this Friday night. Yarden's 2001 Blanc de Blancs, Tabor's 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon Bazelet and later in the evening the 2004 Heightswine. Most pleasant!!!!

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Shlomo R » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:07 am

Had a very rough Thursday. One of the offending clients tried to make up for their part by providing a bottle of Covenant (2006) and a Herzog Chalk Hill Cabernet (2005). I put the Covenant away for the future, and opened the Chalk HIll for Friday night/Shabbos lunch. Every time I have had this wine it has been a real treat.
http://www.chailifeline.org/events/Bike ... rosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again in 2014!
Shlomo R
Ultra geek

Postby Eli R » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:23 pm

Hi,

Until recently I did not find any of Carmel's Appellation series appealing.

This until I tasted these two in the company of Amos Ravid from Carmel:
Carmel, Petite Sirah, Judean Hills, 2005, and Carmel, Carignan, Zichron Ya'akov, 2005.

This Friday night dinner I opened the Carmel, Petite Sirah, Old Vines, Appelation, Judean Hills, 2005.
A very good wine indeed with excellent PQR (score of 90, drinking window of 4 more years and under 20$!).

Rogov's lastest WTN (which does not appear in the Carmel posting in this forum, so I am quoting it here):

Regional, Petite Sirah, Judean Hills, 2005: Developed in French oak for 12 months, made from grapes from 35-year-old vines, this almost impenetrably dark purple, still firmly tannic wine opens in the glass to reveal a rich array of dark plum, blueberry, peppery, herbal and spicy cedar notes. Dense enough to be thought of as chewable but opens to show harmony and grace. Best 2009–2012. Score 90. K

Eli
Eli R
Wine guru

Postby Harry J » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:25 pm

bsd
Hi.Just back-my son got married in Afula.Everything was spectacular.
Tasted at the affair barkan merlot/carnigan 2007;simple wine but very interesting.And also an 07 cab from carmel collection with the new label that was also very good..Brought back some which Id respectfully request TN's for-
segals rehasim dishon 2005 ;carmel regional cab 05 and galil cabshiraz 2005,thanks h
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby EY Han » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:09 pm

Harry J wrote:bsd
Hi.Just back-my son got married in Afula.Everything was spectacular.

Harry,

It is very good to hear from you and that your trip was so pleasant. I wish your family and you Mazal Tov and many blessings on your son's marriage!!!

Best wishes,
E.Y.
EY Han
Wine guru

Postby Harry J » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:45 am

-just editing my tn requests-on the regional its cabshiraz 05 please..
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby David Raccah » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:36 pm

Well this past week was a quiet one around the house. We decided that a nice light and fresh meal was in order after all those heavy meals these past few weeks. We decided on sushi. We have spoken about sushi a few times on this blog. Sushi is one of those meals that is always fun yet hard to match with wine. We love tuna - so we had inverted cucumbers and avocado Ahi tuna rolls. There is nothing like fresh sushi. It has the crisp flavors of the cold fish, cucumbers, and avocado. We almost always make inverted rolls. Personally, I like to have the rice flavor on my tongue first and it looks so much prettier than normal rolls. They are a bit more work - but well worth it.

When you say crisp and clean, Sauvignon Blanc comes to mind (along with some Viognier). Sauvignon Blanc has recently become a new target for Parkerization. Parkerization is a bit extreme a term, but it does have a bit of truth to it. More and more wines are fat, chewy, oaky, and overly fruity. The true flavors of green and terroir, are ignored and the single focused palate of Robert Parker, his likes and dislikes are thrown onto the poor winemakers. If he flags a wine high (based upon his palate profile) then it sells, a low score means it may well go into the ethanol heap. A bit extreme of course, but still very true.

So recently, I have been seeing fat and oaky Sauvignon Blancs - that have not impressed me as much as the clean lined Sauvignon Blancs. Sauvignon Blanc is all about clean lines, crisp acidity, elemental fruit (not the cloying kind), and green flavors. The famous cat pee of Australian Sauvignon Blancs are a demonstration of the country’s terroir and is one that is accepted within the overall community because of its truth to the wine.

So when picking the next Sauvignon Blanc for my Sushi - I reached for the Hagafen Sauvignon Blanc 2006. It is the favorite kosher Sauvignon Blanc on my table and amongst our friends. The Goose Bay Sauvignon Blanc is nice, and the Yatir Sauvignon Blanc may well be the best one out there, but the Hagafen has the crazy grapefruit flavors that blow me away.

This bottle was a bit weird to be honest. When I opened it - it had some bubbles, which was weird. Also, the nose was dominated by yeast - until the bubbles subsided (some twenty or so minutes later). Yeast of course is the main proponent and ingredient for fermentation. My guess is that the wine in my bottle, had not completed fermentation and was doing so in the bottle. This is not the first time, that wine I buy completes fermentation in the bottle, but I am surprised that a wine that is almost assuredly cold filtered would have allowed yeast to get through into the bottle. Still, white wine has been known to ferment the last of its sugar - without external persuasion. A higher score would have been in order had the bottle been still.

Hagafen Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc 2006 - Score A-
The nose on this straw colored wine was initially filled with yeast and yeast alone. After the bubbles in the glass subsided and the intense yeast profile subsided, the nose was delightful and as expected, filled with citrus, peach, grapefruit, and a hint of wood. The mouth on this wine started with yeast (even after the bubbles left the building) and a bit of fruit. The middle was packed with grapefruit, melon, peach. The finish was long and satisfying and was packed with acidity that almost puckers your mouth along with just a hint of wood. A very nice attempt.
Last edited by David Raccah on Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

WTN: Three Israeli Reds

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:05 pm

Harry, Hi....

Harry, Hi…

Following are my most recent tasting notes for each of the wines in question.

Best
Rogov

Segal, Cabernet Sauvignon, Single Vineyard, Dishon, 2005: Dark, almost inky-garnet in color, concentrated and intense. Full-bodied and tannic enough to be thought of as chewy. Good black fruits here, but not so much a fruity wine as one led by aromas and flavors of smoked bacon, licorice and espresso coffee. Drink now–2011. Tentative Score 89. K

Galil Mountain, Shiraz-Cabernet Sauvignon, 2005: Dark and concentrated, full-bodied, showing a light herbal and spicy oak nose and opening to reveal currant, blackberry and black cherry fruits, all coming together in a long, chocolate-rich and elegant finish. Drink now–2011. Score 90. K

Carmel, Cabernet Sauvignon, Regional, Upper Galilee, 2005: Blended with 7% Cabernet Franc, this firm, concentrated red shows bright, juicy currant and raspberry fruits, those with overlays of near-sweet cedarwood and sage and, on the long finish, a hint of licorice. Drink now–2010. Score 89. K

P.S. One request of all…….Please be aware that there is no winery in Israel named "Galil". There is the Galil Mountain winery and the Galilee is, of course, one of the viticultural regions of Israel. Indeed some wines are identified on their labels as "Galil" or "Galilee" but that refers not to the name of the winery but to the region.
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Harry J » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:50 pm

Sorry Mr Rogov on the regional the tn request is. For
Cab shiraz.05
also please gamla sangiovese 2005 thanks. h
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Daniel Rogov » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:55 am

Harry, Hi....

Following are the requested tasting notes.

Best
Rogov

Carmel, Cabernet Sauvignon-Shiraz, Upper Galilee, Regional (Appellation), 2005: A blend of 60% Cabernet and 40% Shiraz, this medium to full-bodied, softly tannic wine fills the palate beautifully. On first attack, light earthy-meaty aromas and flavors, those yielding to blackberries, currants and black cherries and finally, on the long finish, returning to appealing earthy overtones. Drink now–2010. Score 89. K

Gamla, Sangiovese, 2005: Medium to full-bodied, with chewy but gentle tannins coming together to show an appealing array of berry, minted chocolate and spiced tea. Long and caressing. Drink now–2010. Score 90. K

Golan Heights Winery, Sangiovese, Gamla, 2004: Reflecting its 12 months in barriques with a gentle hand and with its now soft tannins settled in nicely, showing soft, round and caressing. On the nose and palate black and red berries, black cherries, licorice and spring flowers and, on the comfortably long finish, a hint of orange peel. Drink now. Score 89. K
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum