WTN: HaMasrek - The King's Blend

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

WTN: HaMasrek - The King's Blend

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:21 pm

One of the wines produced by HaMasrek Winery is called "King's Blend" that wine categorized as non-vintage wine because each release has been a blend of two different vintages. I was recently asked how one could tell preciselly which blend one was receiving.

I just spoke with Nachum Greengrass of the winery and he assures me that the vintage years are on both the rear and front label, on the front label noted within a coin-like symbol.

My tasting notes for both releases to date follow.

Best
Rogov

Hamasrek, The King’s Blend, Judean Hills, n.v.: A blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Zinfandel grapes (80%, 15% and 5% respec-tively) from the 2004 and 2005 vintages. Dark garnet, medium to full-bodied, with soft tannins integrating nicely and showing generous berry, black cherry and herbal aromas and flavors. Lingers nicely. Drink now. Score 86. K

Hamasrek, The King’s Blend, Judean Hills, n.v.: A blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Zinfandel grapes from the 2003 and 2004 vintages. Medium to full-bodied, with chunky tannins, a strong influ-ence of the wood and only bare hints of black fruits. Flat and one-dimensional. Drink up. Score 80. K
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum