TNR: Herzog Cabernet Sauvignon-Zin-Syrah "M" Series 2003

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

TNR: Herzog Cabernet Sauvignon-Zin-Syrah "M" Series 2003

Postby Matt Walter » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:38 pm

I know that I've posted a lot of TNR's, and I am a new member, but I thought that I would try for one more. This is in addition to the previously TN's that Mr. Rogov recently posted on the 2002 vintage of the same wine.

The 2002, I believe, was non-mevushal, while the 2003 is mevushal.

thanks!
Matt
Matt Walter
Ultra geek

Re: TNR: Herzog Cabernet Sauvignon-Zin-Syrah "M" Series 2003

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:56 pm

Matt, Hi....

You may take this as official permission to post as many tasting note requests as you like. Please though, stop with the "Mr" in front of the Rogov. Just plain Rogov suits me fine.

My tasting note for the wine in question follows.

Best
Rogov

Herzog, Cabernet Sauvignon-Zinfandel-Syrah, Special Reserve, California 2003: Medium- to full bodied, dark garnet in color, Cabernet Sauvignon,, Zinfandel and Syrah (66%, 31% and 3% respectively) were aged separately in oak for 13 months before the final blend was made Like the highly successful 2002 release of the same wine, this one also shows currant, plum and berry fruits but unlike the earlier release shows a far deeper earthiness and somewhat cooked aromas and flavors that tend to hide those fruits. Not so much a bad wine as a lackluster one. Drink now or in the next year or so. Score 85. K (Tasted 29 Jan 2007)
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Matt Walter » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:27 pm

Wow! Lower ranking than I would have thought!

I had tried this at a tasting and liked it fairly well. I didn't detect any of the cooked aromas/flavors, but agree that the fruitiness was not front and center for this wine. All in all though, I thought that it was fairly tasty!

I've got this bottle, and a bottle of the 2002 in my cellar (or should I say basement!), so I will crack this one open at the next opportunity and hold the other for a little longer.
Matt Walter
Ultra geek

Postby Matt Walter » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:57 pm

Rogov,

Could you post your TN on the 2005 version which is, I think, non-mevushal?

Thanks!
Matt
Matt Walter
Ultra geek

Postby Barry K » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:44 am

Hi Matt
You should find your requested WTN here:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=17018
rogov can you clarify the mevushal status of this wine?
thanks
Barry K
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:07 pm

With wines that are and are not mevushal...... I very rarely note (and almost never on my tasting notes) which wines are mevushal and which not. The exception to that is when I do a comparative tasting of wines in the same series, some of which are and are not mevushal (e.g. Carmel's Private Collection in which wines produced for Israel are not mevushal but those for export are).

The reason I do not make the notation is that the wines should speak for themselves, and in the vast majority of cases one can tell which are and which are not, the mevushal wines often appearing faulted in that they tend (a) to have a somewhat "cooked" set of aromas and flavors and (b) seem quite a bit more mature than they should be for their age.

I also avoid that notation because the minute I start noting whether a wine is mevushal I will also have to note which rabbinical authority authorized the kashrut cerrtificate, the winery's attitude towards shnat shmita (Sabbatical year in which the vineyards are meant to "rest") and half a dozen other factors. It is my strong believe that those interested in these details are aware enough to look for the information on the labels of the wines they purchase.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum