Rashi Barolo and Rashi (Langhe) Batasiolo Nebbiolo TNR

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Rashi Barolo and Rashi (Langhe) Batasiolo Nebbiolo TNR

Postby Matt Walter » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:47 pm

Has anyone tried the Rashi Barolo 2000 or the Rashi (Langhe) Batasiolo Nebbiolo 1999?

I had them over Pesach this year and thought that they were pretty good but probably on the steep decline past their prime.

Anyone else with opinions on these wines?

(On the inconsequential side, the Batasiolo 1999 label was one of the nicest I've seen on a kosher wine).

Thanks!
Matt
Matt Walter
Ultra geek

Re: Rashi Barolo and Rashi (Langhe) Batasiolo Nebbiolo TNR

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:00 pm

Matt, Hi...

My notes follow for those of the wines on this thread that I have tasted.

Best
Rogov

Rashi, Barolo, Piedmont, 2000: Made entirely from Nebbiolo grapes but as it often seems to be, somewhat on the light side for a Barolo showing barely medium-body and straightforward wild berry and floral aromas and flavors. Lacking complexity but an acceptable match to food. Drink now-2007. Score 85. K (Tasted 3 Jan 2006)

Batasiolo, Nebbiolo, Piedmont, 1999: Ruby towards garnet, medium-bodied, with soft tannins and straightforward berry, cherry and plum fruits. A good quaffer but meant for early drinking. Drink now-2005. Score 85. (Tasted 1 Sep 2001)
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Jonathan K » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:28 pm

The 2000 Rashi Barolo was pretty good on release and as Rogov said, on the light side. It is without question the best wine I have had from Rashi. However, it had no aging potential whatsoever, dying a quick death into a muddle of old stewed fruit. I think the drinking window turned out to be generous. It has been stated on a previous forum that the wine might have been getting in touch with its "inner mevushal." (For those not familiar with the term, mevushal literally means "boiled" but usually now refers to flash pasteurization of a kosher wine which renders it "pourable" by a non-Jew without losing its kosher status.)
Jonathan K
Ultra geek

Postby Matt Walter » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:17 pm

Thanks for the responses!

You can still find the Barolo on shelves commanding quite high prices. I guess if people will pay for it...
Matt Walter
Ultra geek

Postby David Raccah » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:30 pm

This is another one of those Royal Wine specials! I really have no idea what the Wine Spectator saw in this wine - they gave it 90 points a few years ago. I bought two bottles of it and both times they were duds! Total failures. So I thought that maybe the wines were damaged in some way. When I saw the bottle at the 2008 Wine Festival (http://kosherwinemusings.com/2008/02/22/international-food-wine-festival-2008), I said here is my chance to FINALLY see what Wine Spectator saw in this wine. The Rashi group was presenting the wine and it was cellared in their winery. It was still hopeless. I really have no idea who buys this stuff and thinks it is acceptable. I understand people need to make a living - but selling garbage and saying it has a 90 point rating - does injustice to the kosher wine market and the merchant who is pushing this stuff.

Really a shame. Business is business, so that is what we are here for - to help people understand that there are the wine merchants and then there are the people who are impartial and tell the truth.

Best wishes!
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum